Koonlung K1S Review

It's the whole reason Super Capacitor dashcam products are recommended.
Caps can take the constant daily charge/discharge, won't balloon up and or leak in the summer like a battery can, won't fail after a few months of being punished.

Check out this:
https://dashcamtalk.com/kdlinks-x1/#Battery_Swells_Explodes

My heart was set on hardwiring a Koonlung K1S 2-channel dash cam system and I would have no problem replacing my previously-planned-for Lukas LK-290 BDP device with the Vicovation Power-Plus +. However, given that the K1S uses batteries in its DVR instead of Super Capacitors, I am now gearing my attention to the {edit of 24 March 2016 5:45 PM U.S. EDST: [capacitor-based] } 2-lens (2-channel) dashcam systems with a remote DVR. Can anybody recommend one from a reliable manufacturer?

I would be seeking a dashcam with buffered parking mode, and so plan to install an external battery cell, something like the Anypower T-Power Plus Alpha or the Cellink. My goal is to have an HD front & rear system that will come on automatically (for continuous on-the-road recording) when I turn on the car and will cease continuous recording when I shut the car off, at which point it will automatically go into parking mode to record on an as-needed basis (i.e., based on motion detection). The entire system must be as transparent as possible as I have little patience for exposed wires, dead car batteries, non-robust systems killed by high temperatures, etc. Can someone steer me in the right direction...or advise me of any issues/caveats with this planned setup? Thanks!

Last edited:
I am now gearing my attention to the 2-lens (2-channel) dashcam systems with a remote DVR. Can anybody recommend one from a reliable manufacturer?

The choices for 2-channel remote lens systems out there today are not that great. Two single channels is the way to go if you need to buy something today. If you can wait a bit, there are two different excellent dual channel systems in development by Street Guardian. We hope to share more details as soon as the team hits the appropriate mile stone in the near'ish future.

the Cellink B would remove the power problems from the vehicle and the toll it takes on a regular car battery, even parking mode you might feel is less of a requirement than when cameras are running they still need to run to perform this task which is very hard on cameras and memory cards alike, even more so during the summer months

the Cellink B would remove the power problems from the vehicle and the toll it takes on a regular car battery, even parking mode you might feel is less of a requirement than when cameras are running they still need to run to perform this task which is very hard on cameras and memory cards alike, even more so during the summer months

Thanks. From what I read @Pier28 write at the Koonlung K1S Review forum, it seemed to me any toll wouldn't be on the vehicle's regular battery but on the dash cam's battery, right? And as, for memory cards, I would rather have a damaged memory card than a damaged dash cam, considering that I can replace a memory car much more easily than a dash cam which would likely require reinstallation and rehiding of wires. IOW, seems to me that the total replacement cost for a damaged dash cam is much higher than for a damaged memory card - even if the dash cam's price was much lower than the memory card.

In any event, what's additionally no so clear to me is how statements like "the Cellink B would remove the power problems from the vehicle" would or wouldn't also be true for the Anypower T-Power Plus Alpha. That is, I have yet to find a comparison review of the two products that includes comparison of hardwiring parameters such as length of included cables, quality of the wires, need for any additional BDP devices to provide complete protection, re-charging time from depletion, number of additional USB ports, AC outlet charging, inline on/off switch to temporarily deactivate parking mode recording, built-in support for voltage cut off, voltage cutoff selection points, etc. This last part, also raises the question, if the portable battery solution does support configurable voltage cut-off points, does this mean I would no longer need a device like the Vico Power Plus Intelligent Power Management device? Thanks for your insights.

If you can wait a bit...we hope to share more details as soon as the team hits the appropriate mile stone in the near'ish future.

"Wait"? It depends.... 1-2 mths, perhaps. 3 months, highly questionable. >6 months, :( no.

Is it possible to update the firmware by attaching the DVR directly to my computer and is this the latest firmware for the K1S?
K1S:R179/20150825 6948 HW_V3

I'm installed and running. It works well and relatively easy to use, but have one issue I can't resolve. When driving, the GPS speaker will sometimes blast out 4 or 5 alarm tones. What causes this? I checked all settings to see what's causing this, with no luck.
Also, I keep reading about a alternate GoPro battery to use. What model battery is this, as I have been unable to find it.
Thank you

Last edited:
Hey, have you resolved your broken microphone issues? Any suggestions for an inexpensive replacement? It doesn't have to fit inside the camera I'll mount it somewhere else, the oem mic has horrible sound and range

The alarm tones are probably the fatigue alarm that sounds after 3 hours continuous driving/use. I'm not sure if it can be deactivated.

@Eric Edwards or all others regarding reliability:

Your install is from 2015, any issues regarding reliability?
I am ok with microphone issue, don't need it at all...
Anybody installed rear camera outside of car eg rear license plate? I have an Audi R8 and rear is only license plate area install possible, on back window(middle engine car) camera will be roasted by the engine heat....
If DVR unit mounted in glove department the heat is not an issue, one of coolest place in summer in my car. Will connect it anyhow to my Alpine multimedia nav which has 3 video inputs for cameras. The other 2 will be used for an IR front camera for Fog driving and a review alpine parking camera with distance measuring, guiding etc. as rear view close by is not existing on the R8.

we'll possibly start beta testing in May but how long after before it's retail ready is too early to say, won't know until we are closer

How far are u? A system like Urkaine visitor posted is also interesting to me. Available as beta tester if you need one.

How far are u? A system like Urkaine visitor posted is also interesting to me. Available as beta tester if you need one.

we're testing engineering samples at the moment, still a while to go before we'll be doing any public release though

that is a pity...taking apart more then half of the Audi R8's interior to install all the carbon and leather parts plus replace the stone age Audi MMI 3G Nav by a Alpine X901 Navi-Entertainer with rear view parking camera. So I want to install a stealth "Dashcam" Front&back in the same go...looks like I need to go with the K1S then...

would love to have a parking mode too but it seems you cannot have all at the moment...so stealth is prio 1 too me in a car like the R8. No wires and no camera visible is the key in a luxury interior like this. Additionally I wanna use them as evidence when I want and not when a camera is spotted which could be used also against me. Also legal situation in Switzerland is not clear at the moment too.

buy something else, if you install the K1S you'll end up taking it back out anyway

top of the line Kenwood is a good choice for the R8 as the tilt screen is adjustable back the other way (tilt down rather than up) so you can actually see it properly

+1
don't bother with K1S if you want a system that's actually reliable and that you can depend on to record long-term

Then tell me what to get with small remote cameras like K1S, cannot find anything.
Don't know why this such an issue, there are tons of super small reliable cam and to make a Blackbox recording this with gsensor and GPS is also not rocket science...More basic, so what is the issue here?????

Best experience with Alpine, can even integrate a lot OBD information and they are the only one with a 9" Screen which I can make to fit in the original MMI mounting spot and because screen is seperatly locate it optimum in bezel. 7" is too small and if 7inch then new pioneer as much better Android integration then Kenwood.

Then tell me what to get with small remote cameras like K1S, cannot find anything.

yeah not much in the way of choice in this style, that doesn't make the K1S a viable option though, they are very problematic

Don't know why this such an issue, there are tons of super small reliable cam and to make a Blackbox recording this with gsensor and GPS is also not rocket science...More basic, so what is the issue here?????

if it's so basic and not rocket science why aren't there more of them?

if it's so basic and not rocket science why aren't there more of them?
On the technical side it's definitely basic, all components needed are on the market already, standards for communication between them too and the software to steer/communicate all this together is the only thing that has to be really developed but a good developer can manage this.
Developed a crash recorder for an insurance company...So I know what I am talking about.

I suppose Manufacturer doesn't see a market for a system like this...So it's not developed.

Back