Korean automated car fail (USA highway accident)

dunno about other states, but texas requires you to carry an air horn on your power boat if there isn't one built in (paddle boats like kayaks and canoes aren't required to have horns). then again, even if they'd hit the horn, that big boat probably wouldn't have reacted. just wasn't enough time for that kind of speed. and looking at the gaps between the prop cuts in the hull, that was some serious speed. would be interesting to see the other boat, and whether anyone was injured on it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2018/01/chilling_video_fisherman_jumps.html

apparently the driver of the other boat was 75 years old, and sitting down while driving at the time, thus couldn't see over the bow. he uses a mobility scooter to get around on land.

when i drove dad's boat as a teenager, i stayed standing even after the boat got on plane. even when the water is smooth as glass, it just didn't feel safe to be sitting.

"Worse things happen at sea." Confirmed!
Good to see some people still have instinct for self-preservation, they could have been killed.

You know what though, I guarantee if it had been me on that boat I'd have been thinking "No way am I getting wet, I'm staying where I am!!" And I know that sounds ridiculous and most people would be like "you think it, but you know if it came down to it you'd find yourself jumping in the water" but honestly I wouldn't and I almost can't explain why... I'm not at all frightened of water and I would most likely have survived unscathed if thrown overboard in that situation but in my head I'd have "felt better" (weirdly) trying to brace for impact, than throwing my fully clothed self into the water. It probably makes no sense but hey!

And I'd probably still get drenched anyway!

Its been close to a decade since I was last on my fathers boat and forgot about a detail that I had to contend with I was at the front of the boat. Yes there was a horn on an '88 Citation. Below is an '87, which is almost identical side from the bow pulpit which was improved in the '88 model. the canopy and radar arm are after market purchases.
15080316583923541423001.JPG
I was last on it on 2009 and it my parents sold it in 2012. I can't believe I forgot it had a horn. It kind of got in the way when cleaning or going to the front at slow speeds.

I can't recall if used the horns or not (it happened the year we got the boat '88), but i can't forget the surprised look of the 4 occupants of the seats at stern and their lack of attire, with no one at the wheel of the boat and bewildered look when we yelled when they got along side us. As we were trolling at 2 mph and boat approached us from behind at cruising speeds, with lots of noise from its engine, it may not have heard the horn or us yelling when we came to the conclusion it was not going to stop a safe distance behind us.

We hardly used the horn, I think my dad used it a few times to avoid a collision in the marina.

The Canadian cost guard requires all boats under 40 feet to have a horn.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf?campaign=Facebook - en&WT.mc_id=v1n1s

I can recall a fishing magazine having an advertisement for an auto pilot where the captain bragged about being at the stern most of the time with clients fishing and not bothering with the steering. That bothers me as an auto pilot would be unable to adjust steering for other boats or junk like logs. I have seen logs as far as 8 nautical miles from shore.

Here is a picture of Garmin's auto pilot.

cf-lg.jpg

apparently the driver of the other boat was 75 years old, and sitting down while driving at the time, thus couldn't see over the bow. he uses a mobility scooter to get around on land.

Which brings up the point about being how old or disabled to navigate ANY motorized vehicle/ vessel and what kind of health. My father was disabled with limited control over his hands and legs the last two years that he drove and my wife and older sister were looking into ways to get him of the road. He finally stopped driving before either of them called the ministry of transportation.

So the operator of the vessel in the columbia river was too handicapped to stand while operating a boat in a river.

We have a boaters license in '2010, around the time I stopped boating due to safety concerns from my wife and my dad's declining health. Apparently the test can be done online.
https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/ontario/

So given its an online test, I suppose there is no eye exam unlike a driving test.

Back in the '80's, the rivers and lakes were more lawless than the road. Now that I don't boat, I can't make the statement. To me it seems like a tax grab if there is not suitable enforcement. In the '80's I would see open boats like row boats and canoes with no life jackets.

In '84, on our first boat, we used to wear life jackets until we felt foolish as no one else did. When I was still interested in fishing, I noticed the tv celebrities were advocating wearing the the things all the time. In 2008 to '09, my wife and her sister were requesting I wear one. Bet the guys in the columbia river video would have have liked to have on one before impact.

when i drove dad's boat as a teenager, i stayed standing even after the boat got on plane. even when the water is smooth as glass, it just didn't feel safe to be sitting.

Picture same make and model of my parents boat.
2520-03-lg.jpg
In addition to having one of us at the wheel, we tried to get a spotter either at the front of the L seat, or stand in front of the cabin door looking straight in the direction we were going. In Lake Erie on the Canadian side there are Gill nets and one doesn't want to go over them, especially if trolling with down riggers 10 feet or deeper. In choppy waters it was best to have to people looking forward.

In open water, my father used to smoke while operating the boat and take his eyes off the navigation, with his head below the console and light a cigarette. Drove my brother and myself nuts. In addition to the danger (although we did have a spotter) it was 30 seconds to a minute he was not steering the boat and we would get off course. One of us would grab the wheel, standing in the centre of the boat before the door, when this happened.

Surely the answer here would have been for the disabled guy to have had the boat fitted with a hydraulically height adjustable seat so he could have got into it easily but then raised the height so he could see over the bow.

Back