Korean Dash Cam Companies

DashCamRookie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm looking for some Korean manufactured dash cam and only brand I know is Blackvue.
Anyone know more brands made in Korea?

there used to be a list on the main page but seems it isn't there any more, not all Korean brands are actually made in Korea, Blackvue, FineVu, Thinkware, Lukas are some of the more well known brands, there was about 100 Korean brands at last count, Thinkware are the largest there, a lot of them are very small in market share

there used to be a list on the main page but seems it isn't there any more, not all Korean brands are actually made in Korea, Blackvue, FineVu, Thinkware, Lukas are some of the more well known brands, there was about 100 Korean brands at last count, Thinkware are the largest there, a lot of them are very small in market share[/QUOTE

That's why I was trying to find the lists first, but it seems that I don't see the lists here.
If you know, can you provide me some lists?

if I had a list I would have provided it already, I did look but the one that was there isn't anymore, the greater majority of Korean cameras are not suitable for western markets, plenty of them are junk

if I had a list I would have provided it already, I did look but the one that was there isn't anymore, the greater majority of Korean cameras are not suitable for western markets, plenty of them are junk
Actually, when I encountered who uses blackvue/thinkware on their cars, they seems to like it compare to when they used chinese dash cam.
They know it's expensive and concerned about defects, but they said for the price, it works good.

Actually, when I encountered who uses blackvue/thinkware on their cars, they seems to like it compare to when they used chinese dash cam.

comparing to what though, not really valid when you don't know what they were comparing them to, Korean cameras (the type that are popular in western markets) are generally nice designs but they can be sub-par in other areas

comparing to what though, not really valid when you don't know what they were comparing them to, Korean cameras (the type that are popular in western markets) are generally nice designs but they can be sub-par in other areas
I understand what you're saying, but it got me curious about the Korean dash cam.
Since most of the people I know uses blackvue or thinkware and they enjoyed using it.
They got my curiosity and want to educate myself.
I wasn't even looking at that region of the dash cams due to their price.

My first proper dashcam was the Lukas LK - 7500, and it served me well and are still in use in my little sisters car many years later.
But lukas are a bit hard to deal with for a couple of reasons.
First of all support you cant really expect from them, if you do get thru it will take a long while, really seem like they sell worldwide but really only have interest in the local market.
And their footage tend to be high in sharpness / contrast, making the footage come off quite aggressive / artificial looking compared to a camera with more natural settings in these 2 areas.
So when i changed from the Lukas to the Street Guardian SG9665GC it did take me a little to adjust to the much more relaxed footage of the GC.
Also it seem like Lukas favor moderate bitrates as their highest setting, my LK - 7500 had a max of 11 mbit, even for the time that was a tad on the low side.

As jokiin say price you cant really go buy in dashcams, there are some quite expensive brands out there that do tend to aggravate the hell out of people, not least when you get stonewalled in the service DPT.
Blackvue have often been called blaskspew by people moving on from them, many of these brand cameras also seem to want to sell you their own brand memory cards, and have coded the cameras to not function well with the most brand / models of memory cards.
And there are some pretty cheap dashcams that seem to work well and give good bang for the buck.

Most brands dont really seem to do much in regard to customer care and service, but thats not only within dashcams but also a lot of other things.

Understood.
I'm just trying to research ahead of time, so I can get some knowledge on various type of dash cam.
For my first dash cam, I already decided to go with the street guard anyway.

They probably tried the Chinese ones that were actually real garbage. Then went to Blackvue/Thinkware and not really experiencing the mid range priced stuff. I myself didn't even try the junk, went straight for the high priced stuff. By doing that I had no way to tell how good or bad of an experience I am having with these. I assumed I had the best. I can say that the Blackvue I have did it's job saving me from being blamed for two accidents, so it did pay for itself. Video quality is just OK but not great like many of the videos I see these guys posting in here. My Thinkware may have a better picture than my older model Blackvue, but I am not that happy with it. One of the reasons is like kamkar1 said, those brands like to make it where you need their expensive sd cards. I am also having a quite few little things going wrong with it. Not going to completely replace it though, just ad next to it. You may get all the bells and whistles, but are you going to use them all. There are a lot of better options out there, do a little more homework than I did.

jokiin would have a better idea of current Industry practice regarding Quality Control off the assembly line.

Manufacturers of electronic items used to have a sticker with 'QC' on it with a signature squiggle on it.
However ... these days it has become more rare and appears that most have done away with this.
My guess is that (in China + others) items are churned out and delivered to Retailers where they sell the defect items along with the good ones.

Manufacturers nowadays seem to rely on the customer to complain, then send back the defective units, or simply replace them.
They probably figure that it is a cheaper way of doing business to simply spit them out and replace the duds as they appear, rather than test them first.
For every dud ... or unit that works but has a flaw ... they would know that only a certain % of owners would bother chasing up warranty ... with many just throwing their arms up thinking 'cheap junk' and buy hopefully a better one by spending a few more $

Just an observation

Last edited:
jokiin would have a better idea of current Industry practice regarding Quality Control off the assembly line.

Manufacturers of electronic items used to have a sticker with 'QC' on it with a signature squiggle on it.
However ... these days it has become more rare and appears that most have done away with this.
My guess is that (in China + others) items are churned out and delivered to Retailers where they sell the defect items along with the good ones.

Manufacturers nowadays seem to rely on the customer to complain, then send back the defective units, or simply replace them.
They probably figure that it is a cheaper way of doing business to simply spit them out and replace the duds as they appear, rather than test them first.
For every dud ... or unit that works but has a flaw ... they would know that only a certain % of owners would bother chasing up warranty ... with many just throwing their arms up thinking 'cheap junk' and buy hopefully a better one by spending a few more $

Just an observation

you're not far off the mark, quite a lot of product goes out that has minimal or no QC done, if you don't do your own 3rd party QC then faulty goods get shipped along side working ones, for a lot of products the wholesale customer just doesn't care and they're all about just being as cheap as possible, sucks but that's the reality these days for a lot of product

Back