Laggy playback, slow transfer speeds

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I have run a little test on my computer using various readers, from my default Kingston reader ( USB 3.0 ) on a USB 3.0 port, to factory provided readers, and finally using a dashcam ( A139 ) in mass storage mode.

There is a huge difference in the speeds you get, my Kingston reader of course being the best giving pretty much the full speeds of the Trancend ultimate U3 card i used for the test support.
I was using the H2testw program to test the same Trancend card in the different readers, so if you are looking to see if your memory card have the speed that is claimed, well you can not use the free readers, you will need a fast USB 3.0 reader on a USB3.0 port ( or faster )

Kingstonreader.jpg

Next up the little card reader provided with the A139 camera, and other of their models i assume, here speeds have dropped off a whole lot, you will not be able to playback directly from the memory card in the reader, so browsing to find a specific file will be problematic, and once you have found it or the files you need, copying them to your computer will be very slow too.

viofo reader.jpg

Then i tested the Card reader that Street Guardian provide, again from the speeds i was seeing this is also a very basic reader, you can do anything you like here too just not benchmark a card in the reader and expect to see the max read / Write speeds of the memory card ( unless it is a ancient one )
Slow - slow is the name of the game here too.

SGreader.jpg

I then went on and connected the A139 camera to my computer, as with the other readers also on a USB 3.0 port.
Again slow - slow - slow is the name of the game, so none of the good fast stuff you can do with a proper fast card reader, but otherwise it also allow for anything simple.
Actually this was the slowest "card reader" which the time the run take as listed by H2twestw also indicate.
Of course this is not a Viofo problem, you will probably see the same slow speeds using any dashcam as a mass storage devise ( card reader )

A139reader.jpg

So if you have problems playing a file, and the playback are leggin / stuttering, chance are you are probably using a slow card reader.
It could also be a slow computer, but my money are on the devise you are reading from, it could of course also be a very slow memory card in a fast card reader, but such card will probably not work in any dashcam as it would be too slow.

Alternative you can use wifi in the camera and DL to your phone, i will not do that experiment as the avid wifi hater i am, but from listening on the forum it do seem like people are getting fairly slow speeds, ruling out bulk download for most impatient people.

So get yourself a good fast card reader if your computer have a fast USB port to match it, and you can have a much snappier experience, like me i can playback 4K/60 100 mbit footage from the card reader just fine, which is very nice for reviewing the days recordings on my action camera.

Last edited:
Alternative you can use wifi in the camera and DL to your phone, i will not do that experiment as the avid wifi hater i am, but from listening on the forum it do seem like people are getting fairly slow speeds, ruling out bulk download for most impatient people.
The fastest camera for that, the VIOFO A139, is about half the speed of a USB 2 reader, most cameras are much slower.

But if you are copying it, why does it matter if it takes a few minutes, just be a little patient and it will work perfectly.

That's what I do, plug the whole unit into USB3 and let it do it's thing to the PC. Saves messing with the card.

Back