Lakewood Colo freeway pile-up STRONG LANGUAGE

Brian,,,,,,, licensed to truck. :giggle:
Nice photo :D
Glad ours have gone to full colour for photos!

June 6 i will in my own little way honor some people who i feel i owe a lot, they are not my people, hell most of them are sadly dead now, but they are certainly people who i measure myself up against,,, and most often fail though that much was never asked of me.
But they was not all heroes in my eyes, but each and everyone of them certainly demand a whole lot of respect.
Do many Danish people commemorate June 6th? I assumed you wouldn't look much beyond May 4th, although for some reason it seems to be May 5th you actually commemorate - the arrival of the British Army in Copenhagen to take control!

Looks a bit like we will be protesting on June 6th, not because of the important stuff but at the fact that President Trump will be here to join the commemorations! Hope the media concentrates on the important stuff, not the Trump protests!

No its not a holiday here, most are probably ignorant to the significance of that date.
May 5 we do celebrate though at a much lesser degree now, when i was a kid street lights was almost not needed due to all the candles in the windows ( done as Denmark was in blackout at night during the war )
April 9 when the Germans rushed over our border we also flag, but on half mast.

June 5 is our versions of the Americans 4 of July, where we celebrate our constitution, though this day are not really a holiday, so you have to use some of your own holiday time if you don't want to work then.
Flags do go up on this day on buses and flag poles.
But Danes got Nothing on our American friends when it come to waving the flag, far more relaxed senses of national pride here.
We also host the biggest 4 of july celebration outside of USA every year, have done so since the 50ties,,,,,, dunno why we don't do English and Canadian too, they came to bail us out too.
And its not like Danes and American are much kindred spirits, there are large differences between our two countries.

Flag days here ( official ) are most the christian holidays, royal birthdays, constitution day,
And on the Greenland and faro islands national days ( sort of part of the Danish realm ) we fly their national flags.

May 5 we do celebrate though at a much lesser degree now, when i was a kid street lights was almost not needed due to all the candles in the windows ( done as Denmark was in blackout at night during the war )
Wondering why you had a blackout?

My drivers card ( not license ) for use in the newfangled digital loggers in EU trucks, ( chip on the back side )
View attachment 46075

Saw in one of the cop programs on TV a truck being pulled over for inspection, on the trailer one of the brakes dident even have the brake drum there at all.
And that was a Danish truck which generally are in better order then some of the trucks we see here from other EU countries.

Brian,,,,,,, licensed to truck. :giggle:
Obviously a renaissance man ;) It does resemble slightly what booking photos look like in the US though...:D

Flag days here ( official ) are most the christian holidays, royal birthdays, constitution day,
And on the Greenland and faro islands national days ( sort of part of the Danish realm ) we fly their national flags.
I noticed that you proudly show your flag on your drivers card - 12 yellow stars on a blue background :unsure:

... Just checked my driving license, that is OK
dj1104-2_5_xs.png

Wondering why you had a blackout

Well the Germans figured lights on in Denmark, could guide ( British ) bombers on to Germany at night.
So first thing Danes did when it via BBC / Denmark was announced that the Germans in Denmark Holland ASO capitulated was to tear down blackout curtain and put lights in the window.

Well the Germans figured lights on in Denmark, could guide ( British ) bombers on to Germany at night.
So first thing Danes did when it via BBC / Denmark was announced that the Germans in Denmark Holland ASO capitulated was to tear down blackout curtain and put lights in the window.
Don't think it worked very well, we don't seem to have had much difficulty with precision bombing The German coast just beyond you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/timeline/factfiles/nonflash/a1135108.shtml

Yeah NAZI cape got a well deserved hammering :cool:

Daum i did not expect him to go up that far :eek: i am pretty sure when he saw it it was like winning to lottery.

Us Danes are not able to fathom the scale of things over there on the other side of the pond.
Here in winter salt or is it sand ,,,, anyway boxes are put out in the roadside where there are steep hills trucks might have a problem going up in winter, but run off roads we don't have.
The truckers speed dont even look that bad in the video, but since he climb that high he must have been carrying a substantial momentum when he hit that off ramp.

Last edited:
The gravel is deep, also, not sure how deep, but a foot or so.
I'm kind of surprised he kept it pretty straight. Some of the ramps I've seen are a little offset, and I wondered if you were out of control, how well you could aim for them, and stay on them?

The gravel is deep, also, not sure how deep, but a foot or so.
I'm kind of surprised he kept it pretty straight. Some of the ramps I've seen are a little offset, and I wondered if you were out of control, how well you could aim for them, and stay on them?
The ones here are always more or less flat, not uphill, and half the length of that, more like gravel pits than roads, and they are supposed to stop you without using your brakes, so there is not much difficulty keeping straight. In the video he seems to be bouncing over the surface instead of sinking in like I'd expect, so I guess he did need to steer.

Now how do you get the truck back out, and down the hill for repairs?

another site said about $10,000 in Wrecker fees gets the truck off of the ramp.
I've never seen a truck use one, or a truck on one, after using one, but occasionally have seen evidence that they were used. Usually the truck leaves furrows in the gravel when they use these ramps, and it's a few days before they smooth it out again.

That should be a good incentive to keep the brakes in good condition!

I drove down a hill where I remember there being an escape "ramp" today, it is no longer there! Seems we don't have many these days since all European vehicles have used disk brakes and vented disks where needed for several decades now. Instead there was just a parking place for trucks to stop and check their brakes, and let them cool if needed before continuing down the hill.

This is what ours tend to look like, not even flat and much shorter than yours:
375px-A9_Berriedale_escape_lane_-_Coppermine_-_19847.jpg

I think the design is based on all our heavy trucks not being articulated, which was the case 30 years or so ago, so they can fall into a sand pit without worrying about the steering.

I've never seen a truck use one, or a truck on one, after using one, but occasionally have seen evidence that they were used. Usually the truck leaves furrows in the gravel when they use these ramps, and it's a few days before they smooth it out again.

I've seen one with a truck on it and one which looked used. There are some crazy run-away ramps out west where limited space means steep angles. Some look so steep I wonder how the gravel stays in place o_O

Phil

That should be a good incentive to keep the brakes in good condition!

$10 grand is cheap, but I'll guess there is some damage to the truck and trailer. The gravel has to chew away at stuff underneath.

30 years ago I worked for a crappy company (Actually owned by a UK corp at that time) who had a driver go off the side of a mountain. The truck didn't roll but and was pretty intact, but 1000 feet down from where it started, and in a nose down position.

'SOMEHOW' a large truck insurance company was using a picture of that wreck in advertisements. 'Are you sure you have enough truck insurance?"

My company wasn't happy about it, so I assume they didn't give permission or had any way to stop the use?

In that incident it turned out the driver had picked up an underaged girl hitchhiking and she was injured in the wreck. BIG Payout!

Here it is against the law to pick up anyone in a work vehicle, taxis are also a work vehicle and why you need a specific taxi license, and also why uber and so on are illegal here.
But ride sharing are okay here, some places it is normal for several families going together and share 1 car as they dont use it all that often, guess it make sense for some city folks.

The 'underaged girl' thing was a problem years ago when you had more hitchhikers, including runaway teen girls. Federal laws require truckers to have permission from the company or owner of a truck for a non driver or worker passenger in the truck, including family members. This means a form filled out and signed by whoever is responsible, and carried in the truck. I guess at some level underworld types were using over the road trucks to transport trafficked women, also.
The authorization form usually also contains a release from liability from the passenger. If something happens, they can't sue the trucking company.

The 'underaged girl' thing was a problem years ago when you had more hitchhikers, including runaway teen girls. Federal laws require truckers to have permission from the company or owner of a truck for a non driver or worker passenger in the truck, including family members. This means a form filled out and signed by whoever is responsible, and carried in the truck. I guess at some level underworld types were using over the road trucks to transport trafficked women, also.
The authorization form usually also contains a release from liability from the passenger. If something happens, they can't sue the trucking company.
What counts as "underaged" in USA ?

Don't think there are any rules here, unless individual companies/insurance makes them, don't see many hitchers these days though, I guess mainly because the long distance roads are too busy/narrow/fast/twisty for it to be safe to stop, and on motorways it would be illegal to either stop or hitch. There was a hitcher at the start of my boat video from a few days ago though, so not that uncommon https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a-three-wheeled-boat-climbing-the-mountain.38971/ , but I was going the wrong way.

Under 18, generally. Some states, 16.

You don't see that many hitchhikers in the US anymore, also. You're more prone to see the homeless types with a few dogs on a piece of rope, 2-3 suitcases, and talking on a cellphone. Sometimes you'll see a couple, 2 dogs, 7 suitcases......2 cellphone. I'm serious. maybe they even have a cat?

You also have the 'Mann Act', legislation that can be used against anyone transporting an underaged girl across state lines for immoral purposes. Kind of archaic and and some 'colorful' history behind it.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/congress-passes-mann-act

Last edited:
Back