Lane change and cutoff attempt in front truck doesn't quite work out

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Honda behind me has the opportunity to make a lane change behind a truck, but chooses to pass the truck and then make the lane change. With cars slowing down to his right, he is unable change lanes unless he cuts off the truck. The truck blares the horn, and the Honda tries to make the lane change to the right in front of the car in inf ront of the truck. That too is denied as from the lane to the right, a car makes a left lane change preventing the Honda from making a lane change.

If the Honda was attempting to go on the collector interchange, the desire to run it to the end and pass as many cars as possible instead of getting in the intended lane early backfires. Its not only a miss an exit, its a miss an exit to the exit as there is no interchange for several kilometres and there are a few exits to major streets before the next interchange.

It's unclear to me if he was being a jerk or didn't realise he needed to turn off. I like to be charitable and give the benefit of the doubt. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're in the wrong lane deliberately or by accident. You have no priority to do what you want to do, so you have to rely on luck or generosity, and on this occasion he was out of both.

Often it's VERY obvious if someone is queue jumping in a wrong lane and plans to cut in. I take pleasure in not creating a gap for that type. They can usually fall in behind me with ease, but for some reason they seem to be incapable of spotting that option. But as I've said, if there's a chance they're just unclear where they should be, I'll be nice.
At some places, bad behaviour is expected. I'll count the signs and road markings telling people where they should be. Once I've passed several of those, it's zero tolerance time for anyone speeding past in the wrong lane.

That looks like the 401. It's a terrible HWY. Years ago my first time in Toronto, was driving a rental from Markham to Airport. Map says (yes, years ago) from 401 turn right to Airport. Nobody told me to exit onto collector lane kilometers ahead so I saw the turn to Airport but no way to make the turn.:cry:

It's unclear to me if he was being a jerk or didn't realise he needed to turn off. I like to be charitable and give the benefit of the doubt.

Looks like the car attempted to merge over after seeing the overhead sign at the 17 second mark.

I have mentioned this before, the signage in Ontario compared to what little in the way of driving I have done is the states, is really bad. The sign at the 17 mark is the first sign informing drivers they need to get on the collector to get to three major streets. Given that cars to ones left or right don't leave sufficient room and its a challenge making lane changes past that point as traffic from the far right is also attempting to get into the same lane, one needs to be the lane 2nd to the right well before that. A few kilometres from the west, I am in the far right lane as I just got in from the collector. Given that some of the other cars go immediately to the far left lane, the far left lane for a stretch is the fastest lane as slower vehicles will not go in the far right lane as they would exit to the collector. This creates a "undertaking scenario" as the far right lane has the fewest cars, allowing some wide open portions, where cars are able to go as fast as they want.

I use buildings as a landmarks as to change lanes and usually change lanes well in advance even if it means I am in a much slower lane. Unfamiliar drivers can only rely on the poor signage. I have considered doing a video on the bad signage.

Now If I were on unfamiliar road, knowing I had to exit, I would be in the right lane or lane second from the far right so I can make the exit.

Back