Lane splitter hits lane changer. Lane Splitter knocked out...

I ride an Aprilia Scooter and never filter between traffic. You said the driver used indicators only I don't see it. Wasn't the Car in your blind spot?
Personally, I don't have a lot of sympathy for Motorcyclists who do this ... if they want to take the risk that Drivers won't do something stupid ... good luck to them.
I don't get why the Car started moving across ... it had hardly cleared your rear bumper. I hate it when Drivers do this and don't allow much clearance.

Motorcyclists rely on being able to predict Car movements. This Car driver did the unpredictable ... even if the Motorcyclist saw the indicator ... they wouldn't have imagined they would have made a move then ... but then ... expect the unexpected. I take it the rider survived and gets the chance to learn from that ----> Be patient and don't filter.

Dammit, here they are cars as a motorcycle have 2 wheels, but a car apparently can have whatever number of wheels. ( silly Danes :rolleyes: )

A car are probably also best for a American adventure.

Dammit, here they are cars as a motorcycle have 2 wheels, but a car apparently can have whatever number of wheels. ( silly Danes :rolleyes: )
They are motorcycles in the UK too.

A car are probably also best for a American adventure.
Yes, do it the same way that Top Gear did it on their American adventure:
"Attempting to see if it is cheaper to buy a car for exploring the southern part of the United States for a week rather than renting one, Clarkson, Hammond and May travelled to Miami and were each given US$1,000 to see what they could buy"

Mind you, the conclusion was:
"Clarkson concluded that it was viable to buy, rather than rent, a car but summed up the trip by ending with "Don't go to America!"."

Hehe yeah they created havoc in the bible belt.

I would prefer to buy something new and nice, and then at the end donate it to some worthy cause over there.

Hehe yeah they created havoc in the bible belt.

I would prefer to buy something new and nice, and then at the end donate it to some worthy cause over there.
It was their treatment of the cow that generated most of the complaints, not their treatment of the "americans":

4fWo.gif

I thought that was the default American way of tenderizing meat,,,, hit it with a V8 a couple of times. :giggle:

I thought that was the default American way of tenderizing meat,,,, hit it with a V8 a couple of times. :giggle:
Not sure which was more fun, the USA one, or the studio V8 version:

20151223v8blender.jpg

unlike the motorcyle.
The sound of the skid comes after the impact as the rear wheel skids around because the motorcyclist turned into the side of the car and presumably used the rear brake while turning. The motorcyclist was passing slightly more than 1 car per second, not enough time for him/her to apply the brakes before impact, and too fast to expect the car driver to have seen the motorcycle in time.
If you watch closely, you can see that the lane changing car's blinker is on just as his headlight comes into view. You can also see the front of the motorcycle drop, and the motorcyclest shift out of position, and hear a short skid before the motorcycle hits the 1st car. It looks to me like he lost control because of his braking, and he would have gone down even if he did not hit that first car.

Yeah thats the problem with motorcycles and panic braking, much larger chance of it all getting skittish compared to panic braking in a car.
Dunno if ABS on motorcycles are alleviating this problem to some degree, but the fact that you are still balancing everything on just two wheels make me think panicking on a motorcycle are still much worse than in a car.

It do annoy me that to drive a motorcycle you have to get a license for that when the rules of traffic are still the same as for a car and only big thing is the braking distance, to me it make sense that you should be able to drive a motorcycle on a car license maybe paired with a days track course where you would learn the few things unique to motorcycle handling.
Having a license for the big rigs do make good sense for me, though traffic rules are still the same, but these have a few extras, plus they are big and can carry dangerous goods ASO.

Well, here in Portugal there are 4-wheel vehicles that you can drive with just a bicycle license. Silly Portuguese :mad:

mata-velhos.jpg

Yeah thats the problem with motorcycles and panic braking, much larger chance of it all getting skittish compared to panic braking in a car.
Dunno if ABS on motorcycles are alleviating this problem to some degree, but the fact that you are still balancing everything on just two wheels make me think panicking on a motorcycle are still much worse than in a car.

It do annoy me that to drive a motorcycle you have to get a license for that when the rules of traffic are still the same as for a car and only big thing is the braking distance, to me it make sense that you should be able to drive a motorcycle on a car license maybe paired with a days track course where you would learn the few things unique to motorcycle handling.
Having a license for the big rigs do make good sense for me, though traffic rules are still the same, but these have a few extras, plus they are big and can carry dangerous goods ASO.
My dad has a BMW k1200 (I think it's like a 2002 or so), with lots of extras I never would have imagined on a bike back when he first got it, like abs, electrically adjustable windscreen, cruise control, heated seats and grips... He says the abs has saved his bacon several times, especially in the rain. The first time he tried it, he leaned back and jammed on both brakes (and clutch of course), and the bike just squatted into the suspension and stopped shorter than he thought was possible for such a big bike. Obviously a BMW cruiser is going to handle differently than a Harley, but I'm sure there are plenty of all makes and models bikes in the scrap yards of the world, including BMW. No bike could have stayed up after hitting that car like that.

Well, here in Portugal there are 4-wheel vehicles that you can drive with just a bicycle license. Silly Portuguese :mad:
wait, so Portugal requires a license (which presumably requires a test) to operate a BICYCLE on public roads? does it help with cyclist stupidity? (doubt it)... do they also require registration for the bike itself, with number plates and fees and all that?

i would be in favor of that myself. if you're going to act like a regular vehicle on the road, then you need to pay your share of the taxes, and be just as easily identifiable as a car/truck/etc for when you cause a problem.

We sort of also need that here, but as you get that test in school in like 3 grade or so no one bother.
And thats why many 10 YO Danish kids are better cyclist than many grown Americans :giggle:
But by the age of 16 most once accomplished cyclists dont give a damn, and so a good thing turn nasty.

wait, so Portugal requires a license (which presumably requires a test) to operate a BICYCLE on public roads? does it help with cyclist stupidity? (doubt it)... do they also require registration for the bike itself, with number plates and fees and all that?

i would be in favor of that myself. if you're going to act like a regular vehicle on the road, then you need to pay your share of the taxes, and be just as easily identifiable as a car/truck/etc for when you cause a problem.
It used to be like that but at one point some "clever mind" up there decided that cyclists didn't require none of that anymore (test, license, registration and number plates). That should be brought back again because now cyclists have a set of rules that puts them almost at the same level as the other road users, except they don't have number plates, registration or insurance.

Of course you can't drive one of those vehicles in the picture with a bicycle license, since there isn't one. I "exaggerated" that part a bit because the minimum required to drive those vehicles is a moped/scooter license (for 2-wheel vehicles with less than 50cc), which follows the same criteria of the old bicycle licenses: you take a simple test at the City Hall, you only need to have a minimal knowledge of the Road Code and all you have to do is show the "examiner" (which is nothing more than a City Hall employee) that you can balance yourself well enough on the moped and you understand how it works. By passing that "test" you're qualified to drive a 4-wheel vehicle on the road, even though you don't know the first thing about the Road Rules or how to drive. That's why we call those vehicles "elder killers", because they're mostly driven by old people who can't get a driver's license for one reason or another but have a moped licence.
This absurd situation is only possible because those vehicles are factory-limited to 49km/h (30mph), so the people "up there" equated them to mopeds. o_O

Last edited:
Remember kids, if you must lane split, make sure you're going so fast you don't stand a chance!!

And be sure to forget, you probably spend a matter of nano-seconds in a car driver's mirror which is why you're definitely going to get wiped out.

Oh, and be sure to blame everyone else but yourself.

It used to be like that but at one point some "clever mind" up there decided that cyclists didn't require none of that anymore (test, license, registration and number plates). That should be brought back again because now cyclists have a set of rules that puts them almost at the same level as the other road users, except they don't have number plates, registration or insurance.

Of course you can't drive one of those vehicles in the picture with a bicycle license, since there isn't one. I "exaggerated" that part a bit because the minimum required to drive those vehicles is a moped/scooter license (for 2-wheel vehicles with less than 50cc), which follows the same criteria of the old bicycle licenses: you take a simple test at the City Hall, you only need to have a minimal knowledge of the Road Code and all you have to do is show the "examiner" (which is nothing more than a City Hall employee) that you can balance yourself well enough on the moped and you understand how it works. By passing that "test" you're qualified to drive a 4-wheel vehicle on the road, even though you don't know the first thing about the Road Rules or how to drive. That's why we call those vehicles "elder killers", because they're mostly driven by old people who can't get a driver's license for one reason or another but have a moped licence.
This absurd situation is only possible because those vehicles are factory limited to 49km/h (30mph), so the people "up there" equated them to mopeds. o_O
Ah yes there are vehicles like that here as well, which only require a moped license to operate, because they have a max speed of about 35mph. Stuff like this:
dc716b5ba4f54fed6d51ae6ec3ce104a

They're common in tourist beach towns. Mostly they are rental vehicles. Nobody actually owns one. And they're often electric - basically an overgrown golf cart.

Ah yes there are vehicles like that here as well, which only require a moped license to operate, because they have a max speed of about 35mph. Stuff like this:
dc716b5ba4f54fed6d51ae6ec3ce104a

They're common in tourist beach towns. Mostly they are rental vehicles. Nobody actually owns one. And they're often electric - basically an overgrown golf cart.
The "elder killers" have 500cc twin-cylinder diesel engines and originated in France. Their original purpose was more or less the same: rental vehicles for beach resorts (some of them even have removable tops) that could be driven by 16+ teens with moped licenses but some portuguese smart as*es in the tractor selling business saw there was a hole in the legislation and started importing and selling them as tractors. :facepalm:

Remember kids, if you must lane split, make sure you're going so fast you don't stand a chance!!

And be sure to forget, you probably spend a matter of nano-seconds in a car driver's mirror which is why you're definitely going to get wiped out.

Oh, and be sure to blame everyone else but yourself.
Or do as many motorcyclists do pretty much everywhere: get a loud exhaust. That way drivers will know you're coming a mile away. ;)

Back