Lanmodo Night Vision Driving Aid - UK

johntee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a non-touchscreen "Lanmodo Pro Night Vision System" installed on my dashboard of my 2021 'Citroen C4 Grand Spacetourer' and wonder whether this is unlawful here in the UK as the devices color screen is on at night to enhance what I see through the windscreen. This is an amazing bit of safety kit for me at night, it's saved me several times, and pedestrians too. The Lanmodo Night Vision device sits directly behind my steering wheel on the cars dashboard, it in no way impedes my normal driving vision, I can see my full car windscreen over the top of the device, I don't even have to shift my eyes. For comparison, within my car itself I have to gaze to my left to see the Citroen's constantly changing digital speedo, rev counter, and safety warnings that flash up regularly on the centrally placed 12 inch i-****pit display but they are considered legal. I'm aware that certain laws forbid dashcams and such in the UK because they apparently distract the driver, but does a real time, no latency, colour 'night vision safety device' fall under the same axe?
To help, here's a daytime photo which shows my Lanmodo Night Vision as fixed to my cars dashboard and the exterior surroundings. Click the following link below to see that photo. Not a good quality display on the device as it is purely for night use.
Night Vision Device

Here's a link to a LANMODO video demo, and the results are not fabricated or manipulated, I get this quality all the time, but is it illegal in the UK?
Night Vision test

Cheerz, Look forward to members help and feedback on this post.

Last edited:
Over here in DK it have been illegal to have any screen going that was not a NAV unit or a radio ( not displaying TV or video )
But with the advent of LCD rear view mirrors they had to change the law a bit to accommodate those, so at least what the rear camera see are okay to display on a screen, and i assume that would make the front okay too.

You still can not stick something like that to the windscreen, though these laws dont seem to get enforced here,,,,,, witch is a bit embarrassing if you ask me, but the law say you cant really have anything in your field of view, so nothing dangling from the mirror, no dashcam wires dangling and no phones stuck to the middle of the windscreen.

But anywhere on the dash and i would also assume in most cars along the very bottom of the windscreen as that would just block view of your hood are not a problem, and i personally some times have 4 dashcams in the top of my windscreen in front of the mirror, and so pretty much blocked seeing those cameras, or actually i see most of the dashcams above the mirror with the layout in my particular car.

I am a little torn on the usefulness of these devises, BUT ! none the less i would like to try and play with one of those, though i doubt i would look much at the screen, even if my eyes are getting a bit tired and old.

When you are in doubt like that, i would ask your local police, they should know the law in this area as they are the one enforcing it.

Hi KamKar,
Thanks for your reply, I'm very grateful. In respect to you saying, "When you are in doubt like that, i would ask your local police, they should know the law in this area as they are the one enforcing it." In honesty I have found the police here in the UK are not very knowledgeable in certain areas of the law, for example, one officer could say one thing, another officer could say the opposite about the same question. To risky. I emailed a lawyer who says he represents many people with motoring law questions, however I nearly fell off my chair when he said he could answer my own question if I paid him a consultancy fee of £175 (sterling). I did not take him up on that offer, I reckon that's why lawyers live in mansions and drive big flash cars.
Many thanks again,
JOHN

yeah you'd need to check local laws, our rules for the most part follow the British and here that device would be ok, you can't any screen in view of the driver that's entertainment related but driving aids are no problem

yeah you'd need to check local laws, our rules for the most part follow the British and here that device would be ok, you can't any screen in view of the driver that's entertainment related but driving aids are no problem
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion, it's nice to know that laws in your country are pretty relaxed where similar devices are concerned. I will give it a try now the covid rules and "Lockdown" rules are eased here in the UK. Police are a little hard to get hold of at the moment with what they might consider a minor question, we have to go through a central switchboard operator first who prioritizes each enquiry. As I explained to a fellow member "kamkar" in a reply to him above, I find that police at street level are not very knowledgeable in certain areas of the 'techno' device laws, for example, one officer could say one thing, another officer could say the opposite about the same question. I cannot give up on this as the night vision camera is a god send for me. Cheers for your help.

Last edited:
Back