Laptop or Tablet, be carefull.

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
A while back when I was contemplating finding a Android Tablet to have hardware that would let me input the parameters necessary to set up my Camera (Mobius 1 , and others) and view the photo files I started asking questions here and other places.
I thought my findings would be very helpful to some. One thing that right off the bat through up a red flag was the option of having a tablet that was capable of using an OTG cable for the great convenience it gives, then I noticed that none of the Tablets I was looking at listed anything about OTG in their descriptions. So, I wrote some companies and none returned my emails asking which of their Tablets had the option of OTG. Then I tried doing a search on Tablets that had it. It seems their is hardly anyone anymore that has it installed on their tablets.
A lot of the older tablets had it but very few of the newer ones, if any. If you deem this important (you should) check before you buy.
Just asking someone in a store is not the answer either as Best Buy (person) told me yes they all have it, pure BS!

As for the Laptop side of the doing this I've been told here that Windows 7 can perform this function. I know Nothing about Windows software, therefore a question: There seems to be a Professional version and a home version ( don't know about version numbers).
Will either of these versions perform all of the capability necessary to set up and read/edit the camera files?

If you're planning to go for a windows laptop just for the purpose of connecting your Mobius, don't. Just get a Moto G (any generation) and save yourself a lot of cash.

Coming to your question - the Home version will do.

If you're planning to go for a windows laptop just for the purpose of connecting your Mobius, don't. Just get a Moto G (any generation) and save yourself a lot of cash.

Coming to your question - the Home version will do.

Hi harsh, can you use a Moto G on my regular cell phone service which is Ting or do you get charged another fee ?

Hi harsh, can you use a Moto G on my regular cell phone service which is Ting or do you get charged another fee ?

Forgot to add I have a big dislike for phones ! I just received a bill for December, I made one phone call for one minute, charge was $3.00!!!! That's separate from all other fees!

For phone calls I have to make I use a home phone. The cell phone is just for emergencies.

Last edited:

Depends on what service you're using, if it's available as a swap or upgrade with your carrier, there could be a fee. Check with your service provider.

Forgot to add I have a big dislike for phones ! I just received a bill for December, I made one phone call for one minute, charge was $3.00!!!! That's separate from all other fees!

For phone calls I have to make I use a home phone. The cell phone is just for emergencies.

Replace your emergency handset with a Moto G, this way you can use it for emergency calls and to connect your Mobius as well.

Another possible use:

Several phones are designed so that even without a service contract you can call 911 or the semi-universal 222 in emergencies ;) I think only T-Mobile uses the 222 system in the US so far so it doesn't always work on someone elses towers. Given how cheap old phones are, a bit of research on the model and $10 can net you something usable for this purpose which can be tossed into every glovebox along with a cheap car charger or gifted to those without cell phones :cool:

Phil

In the US and Canada, wireless phone operators are required by law to connect all calls to 911 services, whether the customer account is active, past due or even canceled.

I have an LG Gpad III 8.0 that has a full size USB port. Decent little Android tablet. It came free when I signed my phone plan for 2 years last month.

They're going pretty cheap on eBay/Craigslist (Canada) right now because many people got them free and are reselling brand new. Unlocks are less than $5 to use them on any GSM cell network. Could this be something like you're looking for?

I think i read somewhere that on x mas the EMG numbers see a rise in calls due to people without sim card have to test if that new phone is working.
Not quite sure about this, if it is true it is damn scary to think about.

Some new tablets can dual boot either android or win 10.

One thing that right off the bat through up a red flag was the option of having a tablet that was capable of using an OTG cable for the great convenience it gives, then I noticed that none of the Tablets I was looking at listed anything about OTG in their descriptions.

Perhaps.. everyone reading this knows what the acronym OTG is.. but would some one humor me with a translation..and how my life could be better if I had OTG..

Thanks.. but then.. can you give me an example of how a tablet with OTG.. which by definition a table kind of "IS".. would benefit by having an OTG cable.. What would the OP (original poster) want to connect the cable to.. My Samsung Tab2 for example has a micro USB port.. that connects. But with my limited experience the problem is that most other things.. are incapable of connecting to it... so the problem is more about the incompatibility of the other items.. not so much the lack built into the tablet.

In the context of this forum a tablet/phone that supports OTG (not all do) would enable you to take the mSD card from your dash cam and, using the proper OTG connected device, view the video clips on the scene of an incident (most likely easier and better quality than viewing on the screen of the camera if it has one).

In the context of this forum a tablet/phone that supports OTG (not all do) would enable you to take the mSD card from your dash cam and, using the proper OTG connected device, view the video clips on the scene of an incident (most likely easier and better quality than viewing on the screen of the camera if it has one).

You wouldn't really need a tablet with an OTG for that. Any tablet with a Micro SD slot would work.

Also from my experience some cameras may have trouble with writing to a micro SD card after it is seen by an Android.

You wouldn't really need a tablet with an OTG for that. Any tablet with a Micro SD slot would work.....
True, if your device has a mSD slot and it's not being used for something else like additional memory for the device. My phone and tablets all have mSD slots and all are being used in that manner.

...Also from my experience some cameras may have trouble with writing to a micro SD card after it is seen by an Android.
Very possible but, as you said, is camera dependent. If that's the case with your camera then an OTG adapter is not a solution for you but is still viable for others.

Last edited:
Yeah it is really sad that Android devised dump those files on a SD card that really have to go as i see no need for it.

Not sure if i have tried on all cameras i have, but i have not noticed those Android things tripping my cameras, but they annoy me when i see them.

Yeah it is really sad that Android devised dump those files on a SD card that really have to go as i see no need for it.....
Not just Android - iOS doesn't play very nice with anything that isn't Apple either. :mad:

I wouldn't know, on X mas evening i touched a Fruit company product for the first time as i took a picture of my sister and her kids with a iphone.

Im happy that her oldest kid ( the son ) is a Android user :) but the 2 girls are sadly fruit company addicts.:(

Back