Larger sized microSD Cards for Thinkware U1000 ?

A lot of people are trying to use a lower-speed A1 class of cards. You need to use the A2. See pictureSandisk Pro.JPG

Both A1 and A2 brand only demand a 10 MB/s minimum sustained sequential write sped, so on the speed side A1 and A2 is just about the same / could be the same.

A1: “The Application Performance Class 1 (A1) was defined by SD Physical 5.1 specification. Not only for storing maps, pictures, videos, music, dictionary and documents, it also enables the user to be freed from sluggish for editing and updating data.”

A2: “The Application Performance Class 2 (A2) is defined by SD Physical 6.0 specification. It makes SD memory card much higher performance than the A1 performance by using functions of Command Queuing and Cache.

Here are the listed performance differences between the two specifications:

Untitled-1.jpg

your device need to be branded A1 or A2 to actually use these features, is the Thinkware camera branded so ? TBH i have not noticed any "A" branding on any dashcam

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with the minimum sequential write speed. It is all to do with Command Queuing and Cache. It makes SD memory card much higher performance than the A1 performance by using functions of Command Queuing and Cache.

I had an A1 performance card and it kept failing. As soon as used the A2 card it worked perfectly and without any errors. It is working perfectly now and is used on a daily basis since May of this year.

In the case of the Sandisk card above i would think it is the U3 / V30 rating that do the trick
My kingston canvas select plus are U3 / V30 but only A1, i have a few other cards that are so too but not having any A or V value stamped on it, for instance a older Kingston U3 card and i would assume my old Trancend ultimate though it have most of its stamping removed as if someone have been handling it very much, which i have not, it is probably the least used of my fast U3 cards as it just idle in my osmo action camera.

As i understand it the command quing and cache are only something that get used if the device support it ( the SOC i assume ) so it could be the TW camera support A2 but it is just not written anywhere,,,,, which it should as it would be bloody important shopping for a memory card.
But if it are not supporting A2 in the camera, then it must be the U3/V30 specs,,,,, or just the camera fancy these cards more, cuz as we have seen some brands are a bit fuzzy about what cards they like, other brands not so much.

Last edited:
In the case of the Sandisk card above i would think it is the U3 / V30 rating that do the trick
My kingston canvas select plus are U3 / V30 but only A1, i have a few other cards that are so too but not having any A or V value stamped on it, for instance a older Kingston U3 card and i would assume my old Trancend ultimate though it have most of its stamping removed as if someone have been handling it very much, which i have not, it is probably the least used of my fast U3 cards as it jjust idla in my osmo action camera
That may be the case. Have you got a Thinkware U1000, and have you got first-hand experience with the particular card I am using and you are questioning?

It is the physical layer that matters!
What does A1 and A2 mean on a SD card?

Image result for Is different memory modules used on A2 than on A2 memory cards

A1: “The Application Performance Class 1 (A1) was defined by SD Physical 5.1 specification. ... A2: “The Application Performance Class 2 (A2) is defined by SD Physical 6.0 specification. It makes SD memory card much higher performance than the A1 performance by using functions of Command Queuing and Cache.”17 Sept 2018

No i have not ever tried a Thinkware system, i am operating in the general information / knowledge realm here.
It is good you have a card that is working, and others can lean upon your experience when they go shopping for a new card, i am not what so ever question your experience,,,,,,, i cant see how i could do that.

I am speculating on how it can be, that is all.
the old A1 card that did not work well was it U3 / V30 too ? if it was just a U1 card of some speed then it could well be raw speed of the cards, but TBH i am more inclined to think memory card fuzziness.

i am operating in the general information / knowledge realm here.
Ah....it shows.;):joyful:.
As stated above. I am using my 6 months' experience with the card and the Thinkware U1000. I posted to help others make a decision.

Thanks

Ya... cost difference is minimal, carrying a spare card actually costs more than having one that's double the size, but the cost is so minimal that it's not an issue these days.
It's not like it was 5 or 10 years ago where a 64gb card was $100+
It really does floor me that my dashcam currently has 50% of the capacity of my desktop PC, the storage cost less than $100 (and only stores a week of video!)
My first PC hard drive was 64mb and cost me $600.

But carrying an extra chip is always a good idea.

I’ve been using this one. Since May/21. Not one problem so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07P7M6K35

Thanks for confirming. It is exactly the same as the one that I posted in my previous posts.

Specifications are as follows:
SanDisk Extreme 512GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance + Rescue Pro Deluxe, up to 160MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30

Users must ensure it is an A2 and not the older specifications A1.

I've been using 256gb Sandisk high endurance cards without issue as the unit is able to record normally. This capacity gives me several days of recording, however, I'm always game for a larger card.

I've had no further issues with the 512gb after reformatting in the camera.
Continuous recording is good for about a week of my normal daily drive, which is generally ~3 hours/day, so it would be enough for a couple of days of a road trip.

Thanks for confirming. It is exactly the same as the one that I posted in my previous posts.

Specifications are as follows:
SanDisk Extreme 512GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance + Rescue Pro Deluxe, up to 160MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30

Users must ensure it is an A2 and not the older specifications A1.
by that logic the 1tb should work in the u1000 right?

by that logic the 1tb should work in the u1000 right?
Err.....I would not guarantee that. Try at your own risk.

Big enough? Very subjective? I used to use 128gb cards that I used on my previous dashcam, so the 512 gb was plenty enough for me.

Try the 1 TB one and advise your findings to this forum. If it works, post a link to it for others to try in this camera.

Last edited:
I've had no further issues with the 512gb after reformatting in the camera.
Continuous recording is good for about a week of my normal daily drive, which is generally ~3 hours/day, so it would be enough for a couple of days of a road trip.
Followup on the 512 EVO
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the camera was going into a reboot loop on the way home from work.
Pressed and held the Record button to reformat the card, that worked for about 5 minutes.
Ended up pulling it and replacing it with a Sandisk 256 high endurance.
The 512 EVO had only about 10,000 miles of drive time on it.

Hello,

For those that are interested, Samsung released a 256GB PRO Endurance SDXC Card. Recently received card and pleased to report no issues with card in U1000.

Samsung states the new card is capable of being written to for 16 years continuous. Lets hope the U1000 lasts 16 years. :)

this article confused me https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/best-sd-cards-for-4k-dash-cams

Got a Thinkware U1000 Dual Channel dash cam? Because the U1000 offers 4K in the front camera and 2K in the rear camera, you can opt for a UHS Class 3 SD card, like the Samsung Evo Plus. But be sure not to use a UHS-I U3 card in a Full HD dash cam - the main board may not be designed to process faster than Class 10 or UHS-1 card and the dash cam may heat up excessively.

Back