Largest SD card for BlackVue DR900X-2Ch

DR900S/X producing about 192+82MB/min at max, if i'm not mistaken, that's about 56hours (including parking mode). The problem is data density which make this card more prone for failure. And 100MB/s isn't the best speed for transfering a 1TB of data. :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, my curiosity is quite strong so i'm in the process of deciding. If it would be possible to return it, i'll probably try it in my Viofo A129Pro/A139 :p (don't have any Blackvue cam anymore)
giphy.gif
Ah fair fair. I just noticed my SD card was almost empty, after a day of recording, but that'll have included overwritten files I guess.

Anyone knows largest size SD card the BlackVue DR900X-2Ch can handle?
Has anyone tried any particular brand/specs that worked (but which didn't break the bank)?
Prices for the BlackVue branded cards are ridiculously high.
I got this from Blackvue support. Just an FYI

"I'm afraid that any non Blackvue SD card will invalidate the warranty. Also the largest supported card is 256GB - even that is fairly volatile in our opinion - from our experience a 128GB card offers the best compromise of longevity and capacity."

O yes, if you see one of those,,,,,,, RUN Forrest run :)

Remember you most times get what you pay for, 40 USD do not pay for 1 TB of memory in any format.
Like this is probably the cheapest (NOT for dash cam) micro SD card you can buy for that size, and it's way higher than 40 USD

What I actually find questionable is why the heck anyone would even want such a big card.
As the SD cards seem to fail on a fairly regular basis, they should be treated as consumables and buy ones that are just big enough. I can't really see why anyone would NEED a card bigger than 125Gb and at about £20 a throw it is not too much of a stretch to keep a couple of spares in the car.
I've just purchased a dashcam system for my vehicle and am now searching for an memory card. My answer to your question as to why anyone would need that much storage is this would be great for rideshare drivers. High capacity is a must if you drive all day and may not get a chance to download the information for a few days or at the end of the week, but u definitely need something that can hold 4k video. I can't tell u how many time i've been accused of things because people don't have money in their account to cover an extra stop or an extended ride because they put the wrong address in. I definitely need something that can store high quality video

I agree. I've never been a big fan of very high capacity memory cards. Firstly, if the card should fail for some reason you could lose a lot of data unexpectedly. The other is that large cards can be very expensive and if you lose the card you not only lose the data but you've lost an expensive card. Many long time DCT members, including me have had the experience of trying to insert or remove a memory card from a camera when suddenly it goes shooting off into some dark corner of your vehicle never to be seen again. One time, I removed a 64GB Samsung card from a camera (back when memory was far more expensive than it is now), placed it into the supplied translucent carrying case but then when I got to my office it was empty. I have no idea what happened to the card but I never found it again. I believe it ended up somewhere out in my driveway or in the lawn leading up to my house.

I always keep a few spare cards in my vehicle if I need more capacity or have a failure in one of my cameras. My preference in card size is 128GB but I suppose if I had a 4K camera I might consider larger capacity cards but not a 1 TB.
Hahaha, funny u should say that. I was switching cards out from my phone when it slipped right out of my hand, down the passenger side of the console and in between the seat and the console. From time to time I think I can get it out this time, but I can't. The damn things should have some kind of metal in them, but I don't think they do. I tried to see if they would stick to a magnet and they don't. It's still down there and I don't think I can get it out without removing the seat.

Large capacity should be great if your downloading the content often. I want to keep the content for a undetermined period of time just to cover my A incase i have a problem.

Well yes, you will have to be on one helluva drive for the empty card to fill up, and maybe get to a section you would want to keep even if i t is not locked away in any way.
But one of the main reasons i go bit on storage too is, memory cards are rated in a number of full write / delete cycles, so a smaller memory card will reach that number before a large card would. so a larger memory card should also last longer.
For people that work in the car, you also might want to retain footage for a longer while, though here if it was me i would rely on a backup routine to some other media rather than a large in camera storage.
The cards i use ( 256GB ) and the systems i have them in + the little i drive ( about 15 - 30 minutes daily on average ) well i have footage going back weeks, and the moments i want to share locked with the event button well they go back months, locked away safe in the RO folder.

Put a filter on vacum cleaner and suck it out to be captured by the filter, at least that is one way recommended over the years, but i have never heard of anyone using it.

Tried squeezing the end of the vacuum down into the crevice, but to no avail

One trick you might try is to use a long, narrow, metal or wooden slat with some double sided tape on the end. You could also use duct tape folded back on itself so some of the adhesive is exposed on the end of the stick. You might be able to get the memory card to attach to the tape and pull it out.

I got this from Blackvue support. Just an FYI

"I'm afraid that any non Blackvue SD card will invalidate the warranty. Also the largest supported card is 256GB - even that is fairly volatile in our opinion - from our experience a 128GB card offers the best compromise of longevity and capacity."
That's good to know. Glad i decided to scroll through all the posts, BUT tell me this, if something went wrong with the blackvue camera to where you'd need to use ur warranty, how would they know u were using an outside SD card?

One trick you might try is to use a long, narrow, metal or wooden slat with some double sided tape on the end. You could also use duct tape folded back on itself so some of the adhesive is exposed on the end of the stick. You might be able to get the memory card to attach to the tape and pull it out.
Never thought of that. I am afraid of what else i might pull out. I eat in the car and who knows whats down there. but ill try that

I can confirm the 512GB WD purple works flawlessly in a dr750s 2ch setup i have been using it for a while now. Card size shoulnt really be a limitation but you want an endurance rated card for this purpose. I also think the soon to be released 1TB will also work without problems.
Hello Tomcat, I'd like to know how your 512GB WD purple is holding up with your blackvue. since its been a year this would definitely show that it stands the test of time.

thanks

just found some info from blackvue that states using another non blackvue sd card will not invalidate the warranty. Along with this they also have a few off brand card recommendations. Shout out to TOMCAT for his WD purple recommendation. It was also one of the cards Blackvue recommended for use with their product. They do however recommend the Samsung Pro Endurance over the WD purple because the purple has a significantly lower life-cycle rating than the Samsung Pro endurance.

Had to edit to add I found the largest samsung pro endurance is 128GB. I may be going with the WD anyway as it does have a 3 year warranty and a larger 512gb & 1 tb. hard to understand why the largest capacity for the pro endurance is only 128Gb

Last edited:
Never thought of that. I am afraid of what else i might pull out. I eat in the car and who knows whats down there. but ill try that

It works! I've done it, although not with a memory card but with a small part that fell into an inaccessible crevice on a machine I was working on.

As long as you don't also pull out something that's alive, you should be OK? :smuggrin:

I pulled the trigger and ordered a WD purple 1Tb and put it in my Blackvue DR900S-2ch and it works normally most of the time.

One issue is happening, in parking mode at night it records continiously and I cant stop it.
Tried to exclude possible moving trees and street lights from recording zone but nothing helps.
If I format the sd card and reinstall the latest firmware the parking mode works as expected for one night and after that it will record all night long.
At daylight parking mode works as usual.
Hope this helps someone but for me it is a reason to sell the WD card again.

When I put in the Blackvue sd card the parking mode works as expected again

My experience of using a 512GB card is that the dashcam reached 256GB and then it stops operating correctly (switches on and off constantly) until I delete all the recordings and then it uses it again, until it reaches 256GB again and then the same problem. So I am waiting for a 256GB card now to see if this fixes the problem.

My experience of using a 512GB card is that the dashcam reached 256GB and then it stops operating correctly (switches on and off constantly) until I delete all the recordings and then it uses it again, until it reaches 256GB again and then the same problem. So I am waiting for a 256GB card now to see if this fixes the problem.
Yeh unfortunately just have to stick with whatever official highest capacity the manufacturer states, anything above usually doesn't work :/

Back