Largest SD card for BlackVue DR900X-2Ch

Is anyone using the 1TB Purple yet? I can't find it (US). I've been seeing these crazy $36.00 1TB microSD cards all over Amazon. None have actual reviews, just stars. I have an extra 36bucks, but not sure if this is even worth the effort. Class10... that's it.

View attachment 55432
the class 10 rating is not the issue, the fake memory capacity is the problem, maybe 32GB or 64GB real capacity if you're lucky with a fake allocation table to tell the host that it's 1TB

If someone chances $36 on this card I'd like to know their results, but I cannot see it meeting it's claims even at low speeds. A 128GB card from a good quality manufacturer costs about that much so the odds are quite bad that this one is for real ;) And as always, 'stars' and reviews on sales sites are easily and usually manipulated so best to not put any faith in them :cautious:

Phil

Why blow $36 dollars on a fake 1 TB memory card from Amazon when you can buy one for $22.90? :playful:

oneTB.jpg

This one has some actual reviews! Not surprisingly most of the reviews are pretty poor with one star.

There were, however, a number of five star reviews.

Here are two of my favorites.

These guys lauded the card for it's "great purification". :unsure:

And it "came quickly". Not sure how they mean that phrase exactly. :smuggrin:
review2.jpg

This girl liked the packaging. (except that she almost ended up throwing the card away because she didn't know what was in the oversized bag.)

And she apparently hasn't tried the card yet or doesn't know what the product is used for but added it to her cart "anyways". :facepalm:

She has "know" idea. :rolleyes:

review1.jpg

Last edited:
Worst part, some of these might actual be real reviews by gullible people that think they have gotten what they paid for.
At least the chance is there, otherwise it would make no sense in falsifying the cards in the first place, CUZ i think most of us would be extremely happy about making a damn good deal.
And by now phones ASO have taught many people what storage is, and it is nice to have a lot of it, though i also still think most people have no idea what 1TB of memory is.

Cheapest 1 TB micro SD card in Denmark is a 162 dollar Sandisk ultra A1, and the most expensive is the 277 USD WD purple card ( only 5 of these cards listed on pricerunner.dk )
In the states i would assume you had to cough up 120 USD at least for any genuine 1TB micro SD card, but i know you can get a 1TB M2 drive for under 100 USD, but sadly those are not in use in dashcams at the moment.
A regular 1TB SSD i assume you can get about the same SUB 100 USD price.

But SD cards do carry a premium for the same amount of memory, unless you go up to the high end of M2 drives, these extremely much faster means of storage get even more expensive than a memory card in the A1 - A2 categories at least.

Last edited:
And there are plenty of SD checkers that will check the true capacity of a card.
So why not 'blow' $36 on a 'fake' that might turn out to be good? Do you not have the same distance selling laws that we have in the UK to protect you from that sort of thing. The UK law (paraphrased) says that if you buy online, you can return it for a refund without any reason.
Buy it, test it, send it back if you don't like it or it doesn't do what it says it should.

And there are plenty of SD checkers that will check the true capacity of a card.
So why not 'blow' $36 on a 'fake' that might turn out to be good? Do you not have the same distance selling laws that we have in the UK to protect you from that sort of thing. The UK law (paraphrased) says that if you buy online, you can return it for a refund without any reason.
Buy it, test it, send it back if you don't like it or it doesn't do what it says it should.

Well, you could easily return it to Amazon for a full refund including the cost of return shipping but why purchase a questionable product that is highly likely to be bogus in the first place? Why waste the time and effort? When something appears too good to be true, it almost always is.

When it comes to something as mission critical as a dash cam memory card, buying an apparently fake, no-name memory card that doesn't even list any read/write speeds seems especially ill advised. And if you can afford to spend $460.00 USD on a BlackVue DR900X-2Ch why screw around with a cheap generic memory card of dubious heritage?

Last edited:
What I actually find questionable is why the heck anyone would even want such a big card.
As the SD cards seem to fail on a fairly regular basis, they should be treated as consumables and buy ones that are just big enough. I can't really see why anyone would NEED a card bigger than 125Gb and at about £20 a throw it is not too much of a stretch to keep a couple of spares in the car.

Well, I certainly won't be the one to buy and try. My DR900X front camera failed and was still HOT to the touch. My replacement is coming soon; however, if it still gets hot -- and that fake microSD starts to melt?? Yes, doubtful -- but -- :oops:
I used to respect Amazon; however, if they continue to allow these deceptive practices, they'll lose me in lieu of buying direct.

What I actually find questionable is why the heck anyone would even want such a big card.
As the SD cards seem to fail on a fairly regular basis, they should be treated as consumables and buy ones that are just big enough. I can't really see why anyone would NEED a card bigger than 125Gb and at about £20 a throw it is not too much of a stretch to keep a couple of spares in the car.

I agree. I've never been a big fan of very high capacity memory cards. Firstly, if the card should fail for some reason you could lose a lot of data unexpectedly. The other is that large cards can be very expensive and if you lose the card you not only lose the data but you've lost an expensive card. Many long time DCT members, including me have had the experience of trying to insert or remove a memory card from a camera when suddenly it goes shooting off into some dark corner of your vehicle never to be seen again. One time, I removed a 64GB Samsung card from a camera (back when memory was far more expensive than it is now), placed it into the supplied translucent carrying case but then when I got to my office it was empty. I have no idea what happened to the card but I never found it again. I believe it ended up somewhere out in my driveway or in the lawn leading up to my house.

I always keep a few spare cards in my vehicle if I need more capacity or have a failure in one of my cameras. My preference in card size is 128GB but I suppose if I had a 4K camera I might consider larger capacity cards but not a 1 TB.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly won't be the one to buy and try. My DR900X front camera failed and was still HOT to the touch. My replacement is coming soon; however, if it still gets hot -- and that fake microSD starts to melt?? Yes, doubtful -- but -- :oops:
I used to respect Amazon; however, if they continue to allow these deceptive practices, they'll lose me in lieu of buying direct.

Yeah, they should ban obvious counterfeits.

Cheapest 1 TB micro SD card in Denmark is a 162 dollar Sandisk ultra A1, and the most expensive is the 277 USD WD purple card ( only 5 of these cards listed on pricerunner.dk )
In the states i would assume you had to cough up 120 USD at least for any genuine 1TB micro SD card, but i know you can get a 1TB M2 drive for under 100 USD, but sadly those are not in use in dashcams at the moment.
A regular 1TB SSD i assume you can get about the same SUB 100 USD price.
I like the idea of SSD but again, don't missunderstand the fact that those cheap SSD are cheap for a reason. Most of them use crappy QLC chips (even TLC isn't something special...) and none of them has working temperature range for outside world. The ones which are able handle subzero or summer temperatures are quite rare and you have to pay extra...

Simple, as dashcams evolution goes, it increases video resolution and number of channels, then you need more storage to be able to record and have enough time to get the needed file before it gets overwritten. Not everytime one sits in a car to watch as the sh*t happens...

For example my A129-Pro-2CH produces about 500MB/min. Quite recently my car got hit (unfortunately not flagged as an event) at the rear while parked in a public lot. Unfortunately i didn't noticed it, drove off and parked in front of my workplace (rear to the wall), where the camera gone mad, switched to normal mode everytime something moved. After about 8 hours (256GB card, btw) when i got home, i noticed the damage but everything was gone...

And btw, the more storage you have, the less "durable" (by TBW) the card needs to be. But sure, we probably are not quite there yet to need 1TB card. :D

Last edited:
Seems all the online mega-stores start off well then go downhill. I gave up on Ebay when they kept changing their policies regarding after-sales comments and rankings to the point where they're useless, and now Amazon is equally bad; only it's return policies are better :cautious: If I had the extra cash and time I'd try the card from Amazon, of course returning it as fake/counterfeit/not performing to spec. They've been good with such things.

As to the card size, it's kind of like keeping the food pantry full at home. Odds are that you'll never need to have every last bit of it but if you do it's invaluable to have, and it's comforting to know it's there when you don't need it. As long as the card does what it's supposed to I can see an advantage to a 1TB size ;) I'd probably be equally happy with a 256GB card but even those are a bit beyond what I want to spend given the usual financial scarcity here :rolleyes: Reliability isn't as much an issue for me as it is with most folks since there's always 2 or 3 cams facing forward in my van and at least one is going to be working.

What we know about cards and dashcams comes mostly from people trying things and sharing their results :) Specs alone do not ensure things will go well with any card or cam, especially when you exceed what the manufacturer has tested it with. So even to know this card is a fake which it likely is, we all gain from someone trying it. In the slim chance that it's a good card at least we'd have another good choice to add to the few good cards we know and use now :cool: It just won't be me though I would if I could.

Phil

For example my A129-Pro-2CH produces about 500MB/min. Quite recently my car got hit (unfortunately not flagged as an event) at the rear while parked in a public lot. Unfortunately i didn't noticed it, drove off and parked in front of my workplace (rear to the wall), where the camera gone mad, switched to normal mode everytime something moved. After about 8 hours (256GB card, btw) when i got home, i noticed the damage but everything was gone...

And btw, the more storage you have, the less "durable" (by TBW) the card needs to be. But sure, we probably are not quite there yet to need 1TB card. :D
Thats a bummer.
Bigger then the 128GB samsung PE has are no luxuary. especially with the high viofo A129 pro bitrates used.
In that sense im still happy that blackvue uses lower bitrates altough it shows its shortcommings especially with the dr900s/x series. I find the dr900s weaker in image quality especially license plates reading compared to viofo A129pro and dr750s in certain cases. a 750s at 30fps FHD F12mbit/R10mbit still has very readable licence plates. were the DR900s at extreme struggles at times especially in scenes like a forest road. hopefully the new H266 codec may see quick addoption altough that will take a long time and wont happen on the current models im sure of. Im not really a fan of QLC. I perfer the samsung PE MLC i use those cards in ipcameras to without issues but if i need the extra buffer i perfer the endurance cards suchs as wd purple and sandisk high/extreme endurance. so far TLC memory has proven to be quite reliable i havent had cards fail yet i used the 128gb samsung evo for a fair bit. The WD purple card may be QLC im not sure but it has no issues running at the constant bitrate and the larger frame buffer prevented the exact same issue you describe of data being overwriten to soon. if your unlucky and the leaves wave in the wind the blackvue records every minute. with the WD purple card in the dr750s i should still have a good 2 day buffer if that happends.
i saw the samsung Evo card i had before struggle at times seeing a notable drop in FPS on the dr750s at extreme settings while the samsung PE didnt had that issue when running at extreme i dont think its the evo is the best card for constant writes it might be more optimized for shorter bursts of writes i also read an article which said tha the high speeds were quicker then the blackvue camera might be able to process. altough its a cheap alternative my card never failed if you need more size on the cheap. i like to see what kind of results people get with the 1tb cards the real ones not the fakeones ofcourse :D. eventually we should see cards upto 2tb.

For example here (WDD512G1P0C):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B088CF7KV2

Be aware there are more types:
QD101(WDDxxxG1P0C) - up to 512GB (1TB comming soon), 500 overwrites
QD102(WDDxxxG1P0A) - up to 256GB, 1000 overwrites
QD312(WDDxxxG1P1B) - up to 256GB, 3000 overwrites
THat's pretty awesome! I'm guessing the WDD100T1P0C 1TB card doesn't quite work just yet? I don't think I'll buy for at least a year tbf, given I don't want to invalidate the warranty.

It appears you can buy that from here in the UK (Out of stock atm)

I think that law was replaced with a stronger law, but that certainly would help.

Is anyone using the 1TB Purple yet? I can't find it (US). I've been seeing these crazy $36.00 1TB microSD cards all over Amazon. None have actual reviews, just stars. I have an extra 36bucks, but not sure if this is even worth the effort. Class10... that's it.

View attachment 55432
I'd hazard a guess that that's a fake, given how cheap it is.

Hohohoooo, today i noticed WD Purple 1TB (WDD100T1P0C) is available in my country. :love:

But 260$ for that is kinda questionable whether it's worth a try (and too bad i don't have DR900X anymore).
Looks like you can buy it straight from the store

Whilst questionable, I don't think it's *too* bad value, given you in theory get about a month worth of recording, which tbh is pretty decent for what it is. It's just an expensive initial outlay, but as they say "Buy once, and cry once"

DR900S/X producing about 192+82MB/min at max, if i'm not mistaken, that's about 56hours (including parking mode). The problem is data density which make this card more prone for failure. And 100MB/s isn't the best speed for transfering a 1TB of data. :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, my curiosity is quite strong so i'm in the process of deciding. If it would be possible to return it, i'll probably try it in my Viofo A129Pro/A139 :p (don't have any Blackvue cam anymore)
giphy.gif

Back