Latest iOS Blackvue App, a crashfest?

lerxst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Blackvue pushed out a new Blackvue app in the last day or so. Every time I connect to the cloud with it, it insta-crashes every time. Connecting directly to the camera mostly works, but it still crashes at times.

Totally unlike the previous version. Deleting / reinstalling app and rebooting my iPhone did not improve the problem. I can reproduce this issue on a different iPhone as well.

Anyone else having this issue?

The case for us as well. BlackVue's aware and is working on a fix.
Thanks for the info! Got a link to this information or a statement from Blackvue regarding the matter? I don’t suppose they gave an ETA…

An internal memo since we've been dealing with it all day from disgruntled customers :)

No ETA but usually they take a week or so.

Wow, a week! I really, really wish there was an easy way of installing the old version in the meantime. I suppose in the future I will ignore all Blackvue app updates for at least a week or two, to see if they break it again.

Almost makes me want to upgrade to the Fleet subscription just so I can access cloud features using PC/Mac. But that’d be rewarding them financially for shipping poorly QA’d software.

Looks like there was a major update again today, app working for us now :)

Here is the app’s version history as displayed by the iOS App Store as of the time of posting. Nothing released since yesterday, which is the version I’m running, and which crashes all the time.

Attachments

• 2053ED47-C63B-47AD-920F-51DC74320894.png
    2053ED47-C63B-47AD-920F-51DC74320894.png
    338.5 KB · Views: 7
Ya, we're in Canada. Probably US rollout very soon from now.

Doesn’t look like it’s going to be today for America.

delay will be Apple, they submit to all stores at the same time, when it's available is up to how long Apple takes to approve
No.

The update has already been approved by Apple, as evidenced by the fact that the update is live in Canada. That it is not available in the United States yet is 100% Blackvue’s doing.

No.

The update has already been approved by Apple, as evidenced by the fact that the update is live in Canada. That it is not available in the United States yet is 100% Blackvue’s doing.
when we publish an app we select all store availability, the rollout never happens all at the same time, can vary by anything from a few hours up to a few days in different stores

the only reason it would be delayed from Blackvue's end is if they were releasing a different version for the USA, does Canada have a different version of the APP to the USA? @BlackboxMyCar might know if the USA gets a different version

That we’re even in a situation where tens of thousands of installed devices are rendered nigh useless, albeit temporarily, is also Blackvue’s fault. The crashbugs in their latest release are unforgivable.

If I knew their software QA was this bad, I would not have bought their product.

normal process if you release an app that has an issue would be to rollback to the previous app, not sure why they didn't do that, would have been quicker than trying to get an update done and published and bought them a bit more time

normal process if you release an app that has an issue would be to rollback to the previous app, not sure why they didn't do that, would have been quicker than trying to get an update done and published and bought them a bit more time
I couldn’t possibly agree with you further! You are 100% correct. Even right this very moment they are still shipping their instacrashing app and ruining the experience for everyone across America (and all the other countries that don’t have a fix yet).

It is absolutely within the powers Apple gives them to end the en masse automatic update to a crashing app and yet they haven’t done it. There’s a word for this: negligence.

I gave them over a thousand dollars and they gave me negligence. People remember stuff like this. People do things about stuff like this.

Always extra luggage with these smart cameras, just look at other latest post, just Thinkware camera, but also problems,,,,,,, also on I phones.
I am very happy i can make do with "stupid" cameras.

Always extra luggage with these smart cameras, just look at other latest post, just Thinkware camera, but also problems,,,,,,, also on I phones.
I am very happy i can make do with "stupid" cameras.
This highlights something I take issue with when customers ask about cameras and tell you they want something without a screen because it's 'simple'

Relying on another device to be able to fully use your camera is anything but simple, can't tell some people though

Back