Law Enforcement Dashcams

JB-007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious, what types, brands, of dash cams do law enforcement use in patrol cars? I would assume they are very good quality, and probably too expensive for the general public? Are they even offered for sale to the general public?

From what I can see on TV, the recording quality is terrible. Maybe the newer models are better...

A lot of them aren't great, a lot are going to body worn cameras now though which are a bit closer in results to current 1080p sport cams

Generally the only ones that can afford enforcement products are the ones that have other to pay the bill, no sane person would ever go there ( price range ) unless we talk a person wanting to do cinema grade mobile recordings.

I would not want one of the ones used by law enforcement. They always seem to fail when they are needed most.

Judging by the horror stories we hear in here from time to time, the same goes for dashcams.
Even myself, i got rear ended and my rear camera dident work,,,,, though i knew that weeks before that :rolleyes:

Just curious, what types, brands, of dash cams do law enforcement use in patrol cars? I would assume they are very good quality, and probably too expensive for the general public? Are they even offered for sale to the general public?

Police cam sold out at factory price is around RMB380~600

They're expensive, but reliable, work well in low light, and have hard drive storage so they store months of video

Earlier this month in the Toronto area, a police officer where the vehicle was NOT equipped with a dash cam and the officer was NOT wearing a bodycam, was dragged while making a traffic stop

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/opp-seek-suspect-in-hwy-400-traffic-stop-1.4762600?cmp=rss

In November 2015, the Provincial police determined $5000 to $6000 per vehicle was too much and was opting for body cams instead.

Close to 3 year later in Ontario, there are provincial police cars still without dashcams and officers still without body cams.

Equipping 1500 cars would cost $10,000,000. However that is a one or two class action lawsuits. If the police officer or car is equipped with such, it may help the judgement go in the police's favor. Imagine if there was dashcam or bodycam footage, the police would have something better than a composite sketch in this police officer dragging case.

The people selling these dashcams to police forces must be laughing all the way to the bank.

The people selling these dashcams to police forces must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Yes, I'm sure they are, and I don't understand, if they cant afford the $5000 camera, why not install a $50 B1W, much better than nothing!

Probably the police just don't like the idea of being filmed, even though most police that do use cameras would be seriously complaining if you took their cameras away!

It is hard to deal with when everything in your work are under constant scrutiny, but that is often a fact in many trades, in my last job many of the things i made on my grinding machine went strait into the "control room" for inspection, and it was the same for what people on the CNC lathes and so on did.
To be totally honest i looked at it as kind of a insult, cuz they give me a drawing of the thing with so and so tolerances for me to make, and they pay me a high wage as a skilled person, so then like that inspecting everything i made was to me a insult to my skills or at best just a waste of time.

On the other hand one day i had to scrap the work of 2 man on a CNC lathe they spent a couple of days making, and really that should not have happened.
And on the other hand the almost full set of 30 or so stainless axles i screwed up, that should also not have happened, but it did, and the way my brain work i will never forget that, and i do get chills every time my brain throw that up.
Only little positive thing with that batch i screwed up is, if my grinding machine had been properly maintained and used by people before me that would not have happened.
Cuz it was not my tolerances as such that was screwed up, it was their location in regard to other tolerances on the axle made by the CNC lathe, but my grinder had been misused so lining it up for those very tight tolerances could take me a hour or more, where if machine had not been vandalized it would have taken me 20 seconds.

When you only have 0.02 mm to make do with you and the machine got to be on the ball, tightest tolerances i made was within 0.006 mm so +/- 0.001 then i had 0.004 mm to make good with.

Yes, I'm sure they are, and I don't understand, if they cant afford the $5000 camera, why not install a $50 B1W, much better than nothing!

Probably the police just don't like the idea of being filmed, even though most police that do use cameras would be seriously complaining if you took their cameras away!

Yes, many police officers, especially older ones, see it as a way to get them in trouble for minor things. Most people in other jobs wouldn't want a camera pointed at them at work, and many people even oppose public cameras because they "don't want to be filmed" going about their business.

Many officers, especially younger ones, have the same mindset as everyone on this forum, they want everything documented

If i won a little,,,, okay a lot in lotto, then my machine shop will probably be just as expensive as the house / shop i would have build first.
cuz i would need it all lathe ( S ) milling machines - grinding machine all kind of welders even a forge cuz there is nothing like beating on red hot steel, and a lot of other machines, drill press - bending machine ASO

when I drive sometimes the people in the public give me 'dirty looks' like they are annoyed when they see the dash cam and/or radar detector on my windshield. they probably didn't like the "attitude" of someone that uses a radar detector and/or don't like the idea of being captured on film by the dash cam. I don't think the majority of people in the public like them and the people that use them.

Back