Legal to have a Dashcam on border crossing?

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Last year, I got a G1WC for my sister who made a frantic call about a near collision she had. She lives in Canada, but works in Detroit and therefore crosses the border regularly. When I went to visit my siblings last month, I noticed the camera was removed. One of the reasons she mentioned was the border crossing. Had I know this was an issue, I would have shelled out a little more and gotten something a little more discrete.

Between getting her the camera last year, and seeing her a month ago, I saw dash cam video of someone crossing the Ambassador bridge pulling plug as he approached the agents. However, there are reality TV shows that show border agents doing their job, interviewing airline passengers or motorists crossing the show.
http://www.natgeotv.com/ca/border-security/about

So questions
  1. is it or is not legal
  2. What is like between the Mexican and US border for Dash cam users

I have no issues with border crossings from both sides. Maybe west coast is different.

I have not had any issues with the authorities when crossing the Mexican or Canadian border using dash cams.

Google is your friend and I should have googled before asking.
from https://clearit.ca/canadian-customs-broker-blog/dashcam-recording-prohibited-u-s-ports-entry/
No Public statement on the matter. But "U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), specifically 41 CFR 102-74.420, which deals with “photographs for news, advertising or commercial purposes”. It generally prohibits taking photographs on Federal property without permission from the relevant agency, and it seems that CBP is one agency that has a policy of not granting such permission.". The reason given by officers is that it COULD be used by terrorists. Canadian authorities are much more tolerant

http://www.trucknews.com/security/dash-cams-illegal-border-depend-way-youre-headed/1003059630/
Some trucking companies are informing their operators to turn off the cameras when going thru the border

There is a difference between being in public, and being on private or federally owned property. Border crossing stations, courthouses, and such are Federal or State properties where the rules for recording differ. And other things are also affected- you are no longer allowed to film trains or ships where national security might possibly be compromised which has created criminals out of hobbyists :( Thank the Republican-led Congress who brought us the "Patriot Acts" for the usurpation of our basic American freedoms :mad: Welcome to Amerika comerade :eek:

Phil

A slightly similar situation: After returning from a trip to France, the Border official at the French ferryport was insistant that I turned off all recording devices on entering the port. Interesting as nothing was said on the outbound crossing. He didn't say why, and I wasn't inclined to argue as I believe the French have a fairly brusk policy when dealing with in car technology they dislike.

A slightly similar situation: After returning from a trip to France, the Border official at the French ferryport was insistant that I turned off all recording devices on entering the port. Interesting as nothing was said on the outbound crossing. He didn't say why, and I wasn't inclined to argue as I believe the French have a fairly brusk policy when dealing with in car technology they dislike.
Looks like authorities don't like being recorded on both sides of the pond. Unrelated, but a police force here declined having dash cams on all of their vehicles citing cost. I feel if the police or border security have nothing to hide, they wouldn't mind being recorded.

Back