legnth of clips

Mikey161

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have finally got my 522 working like it should be - Faulty SD card caused lots of problems. However, one final question if I may - I have set the recording time to 3 minutes when I download the SD card to the laptop, most clips are 3 minutes long and some are as short as 30 seconds...why is that please?

Also, If I forget to format the card, would new recordings record over the older recordings? TIA.

Hi,

The 30 second clips are 'Protected File' clips. When the 'Protect' function is activated a file containing 10 seconds prior to the incident and 20 seconds after is written to the Protected folder.
A Protected File can be triggered by the camera's internal G-sensor when it detects abnormal G-force* (such as a crash or bump) or by pressing the 'Nextbase' protect button below the screen.

Parking Mode files are also 30 seconds long. If your car is bumped and the G Force sensor registers movement then the dash cam will automatically turn on, record for 30 seconds and then shut back down again. If you are unlucky enough to be hit twice in a row then the dash cam would automatically record again and capture both events.

Regarding the normal recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention. The only files that will not be overwritten are the Protected Files. We recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to delete any built-up Protected Files.

Millie- Nextbase Support

*The G-Sensor must be turned on to allow for this. The options for G-Sensor in the Settings of the camera are: High, Medium, Low, Off.

Hi,

The 30 second clips are 'Protected File' clips. When the 'Protect' function is activated a file containing 10 seconds prior to the incident and 20 seconds after is written to the Protected folder.
A Protected File can be triggered by the camera's internal G-sensor when it detects abnormal G-force* (such as a crash or bump) or by pressing the 'Nextbase' protect button below the screen.

Parking Mode files are also 30 seconds long. If your car is bumped and the G Force sensor registers movement then the dash cam will automatically turn on, record for 30 seconds and then shut back down again. If you are unlucky enough to be hit twice in a row then the dash cam would automatically record again and capture both events.

Regarding the normal recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention. The only files that will not be overwritten are the Protected Files. We recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to delete any built-up Protected Files.

Millie- Nextbase Support

*The G-Sensor must be turned on to allow for this. The options for G-Sensor in the Settings of the camera are: High, Medium, Low, Off.
Thanks for the detailed answer Millie.

Back