Lens Superglued

DarioB

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
Mini 0906, Mini 0805 , B1W
Following guide, I disassembled my 0805, bought last week by Gearbest, produced on 1/16.
Focus is not so bad, I tried to improve it..but looks glued more with Loctite than hotglue.
Do you think I can do something?
ThanksIMG_20160414_210112001.jpg IMG_20160414_210131232.jpg IMG_20160414_210149402_HDR.jpg

You might have some luck applying a heat gun or hair dryer to see if you can soften the glue.

It looks polymerized, but I will try, thanks!!!;)

It arrived already glued in that way

Infact lens is dirty, and alcol doesn't works... not so happy, but what can I do?
Thanks
IMG_20160415_121619599_HDR.jpg

Gearbest, produced on 1/16, EU warehouse

I wonder if it was second hand, these only come out of limited factories, have yet to see any of those factories that would be this rough

Gearbest, produced on 1/16, EU warehouse
You may have to accept the focus as is. If you want to return the 0805 for exchange or refund, Gearbest will probably insist on it being sent to an address in China at your expense, which will be too expensive to be worthwhile.

That build/assembly quality is awful! It looks like somebody dipped their hands in superglue and then continued assembling...

You may have to accept the focus as is. If you want to return the 0805 for exchange or refund, Gearbest will probably insist on it being sent to an address in China at your expense, which will be too expensive to be worthwhile.
I bought it in europe, so Gearbest ideally have to pay shipping... The problem is I have removed warranty sticker (not broken, but barely damaged), so I would never send it back, I hope in a partial refound...

I bought it in europe, so Gearbest ideally have to pay shipping...

Many people who buy from the Gearbest or Banggood EU Warehouses make that assumption. Until they start the returns process.

Then they realise they have to send the product to China at their own expense, & belatedly wish they had bought the product from a genuinely EU-domiciled seller that is liable under EU Consumer Protection Law.

I never tought to send it back, because worst case was lens out of focus, and fix is pretty simple...I tought.
I was not so lucky, and looks I am the first in this kind of trouble, but maybe not last, add a warning in fixing guide.
Thanks all for support!!!

I wanted to add to this topic and say that I also just received one with a superglued lens.
Ordered from Gearbest's US-LA warehouse on August 5th, 2016.

I didn't get one that looked as bad as originally posted, it was a clean superglue job at least.

I was able to break the superglue free using some acetone (nail polish remover) on a q-tip
I simply dipped the q-tip in acetone and kept applying the acetone around the superglue and rubbing with the q-tip
After soaking and rubbing the superglue for about 2 minutes, I was able to break the lens free to adjust it!
Now the image on my 0805 looks nice and crisp!

If anyone wants to do the same, just be sure to be extra careful not to get acetone all over the place ;D

Sorry I didn't take pictures, thought I was just going in for a quick adjusting of the lens

I can't believe anyone would use superglue here. When you heat that stuff it releases cyanide fumes, and the CMOS is probably getting hot enough to do that. Plus the fumes when it's wet lay a thin coat of it anywhere they're concentrated enough- and the lens is close enough for it to be affected. Just totally insane to see this happen.

Phil

I tought to use acetone, but i was afraid lens could be made in acrylic...your lens was just glue superficially or in screw too? Did you used pure acetone, or just solvent like mail polish? Thanks

When I purchased my 0805 from GB, I already had focus issue and already had same "unremovable" glue. I know you're already opened it up (I did, too), but for others who has same issue:

1.)- If you has any serios issue with your dashcam bought at Gearbest, you should contact Gearbest BEFORE you open it up. Why? Beacause they'll offer 3 ways to handle your complaint. You can chose partial refund meanwhile you keep the item. (but they'll need pictures and videos about the faulty, unopened product).

2.) AFTER that you can open it up. I had same ****ty glue on mine, and tried to remove it with a scalpel for an hour... Followed the screw thread and tried to remove as many glue as possible.

3.) For me i had big luck this part, but probably you can broke your lens. When I tried every solutions I could try (scrape, heat, solvent) and noone worked, I was very angry, took pliers, and tried to screw off with force (as I remember well CCW). Big *click* sound.... I think I just broke my lens.... No, I was lucky and the lens released!

Yes, I had a partial refound...few dollars in credits to use on gearbest...
Yes, I know risks, for this I Am asking for details, if glue is only superficial or is in screw too... And in worst case, I Am looking for replacement parts...
Risks or not, a out of focus cam is useless like a broken one, so we can just fix them ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Mini 0805 4