Lenses?

DashCamKing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm close to ordering a viofo 129 dual. I have read on here about 2 different lens versions. Is there one that is best? If so why and how do I know which one it is once I have bought it?

lense 1 old Version of the camera it was first sample units of A129 .

Attachments

• DCTeam-A119S-Lens1+Lens2.png
    DCTeam-A119S-Lens1+Lens2.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 87
is lens 1 is better then lens 2 !did considered upgraded from lens 2?
They are both good lenses. The newer one is slightly narrower, so it probably comes down to personal preference.

So many lens changes, we really need to make some kind of documentation for this...

Dashcam manufacturers are hesitant to give out the detailed lens specs so that they can stay ahead of their competetion. They don't manufacture lenses so there is always a chance of suppliers changing in the middle of production for various reasons. With Viofo and Mobius there is some discussion of lens characteristics here on their respective forums, but little has been said of other brands.

Phil

I'm close to ordering a viofo 129 dual. I have read on here about 2 different lens versions. Is there one that is best? If so why and how do I know which one it is once I have bought it?
The Lens1 & Lens2 graphic I created clearing shows the different Lens shapes for quick identification. Both A129 & A119S will only be sold with narrower 130 FOV coated Lens once all old Lens stock is sold off.

The question of which is better depends on your Dashcam's recorded video purpose.
If you purchased a Dashcam solely to record accident evidence and seldom collect or view daily footage the image should be the brightest possible. This is achieved with widest angle brightest video = F1.6 aperture 140-160 FOV uncoated Lens without CPL Filter attached.
If you purchased a Dashcam to record accident evidence and frequently collect, save and view interesting daily footage the image should be realistic without fisheye reflections. This is achieved with narrower Field of View = F1.6 aperture 130-135 FOV + coated to improve color and reduce reflections + CPL Filter attached to reduce plastic dash surface reflections.

have a question???
is it possible to change a Lends 1 into a Lens 2 or otherwise???
only lenschanging not the sensor
the dimensions are the same and this is only a mecanical part that u can ajust for focus

maybe its a silly question but i thought if this is possible u can test the coatet on a A119s sensor.
maybe u get better results
also the FOV is diffrent

cheers
Hanns

you can always unscrew a lens and put a new one in the camera, the procedure is just about the same as with action cameras.

sorry but i am a real Newbie in this things
only want to know if ist possible to change lens 1 into lens 2
why i wthink about is, to focus the lens is way nore easy at the coatet
or maybe u can putt the lens from A119Pro un it because of bigger FOV

thx from Germany for fast reply
Hanns

sorry but i am a real Newbie in this things
only want to know if ist possible to change lens 1 into lens 2
why i wthink about is, to focus the lens is way nore easy at the coatet
or maybe u can putt the lens from A119Pro un it because of bigger FOV

thx from Germany for fast reply
Hanns
Yes , the A119S and A129 have interchangeable Lenses.
I have both Lens types and change them frequently when making demo videos. I just recently removed the narrower coated Lens and plastic shell housing containing the Lens+metal barrel holder+sensor from my A119S and installed it into my A129. All I had to do was use the A129 reverse folded sensor ribbon cable and now the A129 image has improved.

Contact Viofo from their website to buy another Lens.
If you recently purchased your Viofo Dashcam and the Lens is blurry using official firmware and tested in vehicle and holding out window with no CPL Filter and Lens glass is clean,
suggest contacting vendor or Viofo for replacement Lens.

Back