Less than a year old Mini0805 - dead battery

drm

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
One of the 4 cameras I bought last November is no longer charging the battery.
Neither in the vehicle, through the base, nor from the computer or a charger that I use for the other chargeable devices with complete success. After charging overnight, the camera turns on and still flashes 'Low battery'.

I am going to RMA this one, but feel that the other 3 are on the go out path soon, at the very end of warranty.

I am astounded how being on the car power 100% of the time and configured to shut off within 1 min from ignition being turned off, it managed to wear off the battery completely. If there was something wrong with the power, the camera could not consistently turn on and off with the ignition.

it's the nature of lithium batteries, unfortunately. it's not healthy for it to be constantly charged while its in operation and also have to deal with the extreme temperatures of a vehicle's cabin. so it's not quite the fault of the camera as much as it is the characteristics of the batteries. you may want to do an inexpensive replacement of the battery or just think of a capacitor based camera for your next dashcam

Wow, a mini working for a year?
That's a record. ;)

That's a record. ;)
haha! ✌️

but in all seriousness, the mini 0801 that is now in my dad's truck has been running strong for 2+ years now. and my 0805 is probably 1.5 years old without any faults so far. hope my luck lasts!

That's a record. ;)
if a 0805 fail, it'll fail in 2 month. But if it can survive in two month then it'll keep doing for a pretty long time :) About 1 or 2 year then battety will be death.

it's the nature of lithium batteries, unfortunately. it's not healthy for it to be constantly charged while its in operation and also have to deal with the extreme temperatures of a vehicle's cabin. so it's not quite the fault of the camera as much as it is the characteristics of the batteries. you may want to do an inexpensive replacement of the battery or just think of a capacitor based camera for your next dashcam

1. No one forced the manufacturer to use a Li battery - there are still plenty of NiMh batteries available. They knew the conditions the camera would be operating under.

2. You are misunderstanding the Li decay process. The Li batteries decay with every discharge-recharge cycle, not from normal use where external power is supplied.

3. The power supply built into the camera should detect a fully charged condition and cut off charging current in normal operation.

These are obvious to any electric engineer considerations that should have been accounted for in the product.

1. No one forced the manufacturer to use a Li battery - there are still plenty of NiMh batteries available. They knew the conditions the camera would be operating under.

2. You are misunderstanding the Li decay process. The Li batteries decay with every discharge-recharge cycle, not from normal use where external power is supplied.

3. The power supply built into the camera should detect a fully charged condition and cut off charging current in normal operation.

These are obvious to any electric engineer considerations that should have been accounted for in the product.
and nobody forced you to buy a battery-based dashcam. ✌️

No, you are.
read up
batteryuniversity.com

cycling a battery is only one way it degrades, another way is high voltage (ie, charged) and heat. (which kills it MUCH faster)

if they were smart, they would tweak the charger circuit so that it only charged these batteries to a voltage roughly equal 50% of the cell's capacity. This would at least make the battery last longer than keeping it at max voltage all the time.

anyway, anyone know where to get a replacement battery for one of these?

(and fwiw, my 0801 is also still going strong after years of work)

Hello, I think that's the too little power from the original car installation.In my case it is completely fainting after two months.

anyway, anyone know where to get a replacement battery for one of these?
Not sure if live link is allowed but you can search for lithium polymer battery 052035 3.7V, 350mah. Anything bigger will not fit, period!

Just bought 5 pcs for 11 bucks + fs.

Back