Letting pedestrians walk when a car tries to overtake

flank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S

White car tries to go around and in front of me while I'm letting pedestrians cross to a Whole Foods (Amazon owned supermarket). I wasn't going to let that happen and the guy had the nerves to honk at me. He got blocked by the turning car, good timing. Don't try this at home unless you have nerves of steel like me :cool:

I often leave a gap like that for VISIBILITY and SAFETY, but some people don't get it and want to overtake. I would have done the same as you did.

But it has to be said, the way people on foot move so slowly in those situations is incredibly selfish and annoying, and played a part in that event.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It can be frustrating when there are that many pedestrian around the mall entry. Unfortunately, the car behind may have limited visibility and thought you were waiting at the entry to pick someone up. I have had experience of both front and rear cars.

It can be frustrating when there are that many pedestrian around the mall entry. Unfortunately, the car behind may have limited visibility and thought you were waiting at the entry to pick someone up. I have had experience of both front and rear cars.

I think that was the case as well as he came from the right and not directly behind me. That is why I kept on inching forward a little to let him know I'm not stationary. Once he realised I was letting pedestrians cross, he should have backed off. I almost went and caused a major scene after I parked and he parked. We were headed to different restaurants but I made sure he saw me looking his way as I was walking in, I was mean mugging him. I decided it was going to be this punk's lucky day and not curse him out. This is a classy plaza.

To be honest, you were stationery for so long, I thought you had parked up. If it's not an official pedestrian crossing and there's an endless flow of pedestrians, I keep crawling forward until they stop crossing in front of me. I don't mind letting a few cross but I don't want to be waiting there all day.

I missed my chance very early on. There was a guy with a cart that faked me out. You can see it at the 19 second mark. Looked like he was going to cross then didn't. Oh well, next time I'm going to avoid those crossings and go around the parking lot and never in front of the store.

To be honest, you were stationery for so long, I thought you had parked up. If it's not an official pedestrian crossing and there's an endless flow of pedestrians, I keep crawling forward until they stop crossing in front of me. I don't mind letting a few cross but I don't want to be waiting there all day.
I could see him inching forward as well. That is indeed an actual crosswalk for the store entrance, though it's done with brick pavers instead of painted lines. the guy in the silver accord was just an impatient jerk, as is typical in most parking lots.

That is indeed an actual crosswalk for the store entrance, though it's done with brick pavers instead of painted lines.

So legally, does that qualify as a pedestrian crossing? It wouldn't in the U.K. Though I suppose, even if it isn't a legal crossing, if you hit a pedestrian then you're in big trouble. :D

probably not "legally" since it's technically on private property. just like police can't ticket someone running a stop sign or speeding in a parking lot unless there's some sort of prior arrangement with the property owner. i think they only thing they CAN ticket on private property (in terms of vehicle stuff anyway) is if you park in a handicap spot without the proper permit (temporary mirror hanger or permanent license plate). obviously if there's a collision or other problem, police can respond and do what they need.

i've sped in parking lots plenty of times. sometimes with a couple hundred others (though not all at the same time). nobody got any tickets and injuries were exceedingly rare, but several defenseless traffic cones met their maker each time we held an autocross event. :D

i've sped in parking lots plenty of times.

Mostly they have 5mph limits, and most people don't realise just how slow that is. It's an interesting exercise to use an accurate speedo and do 5mph. It's SLOW!
One supermarket car park I go to regularly has a 2mph limit. You can imagine how many people take notice of that.

Mostly they have 5mph limits, and most people don't realise just how slow that is. It's an interesting exercise to use an accurate speedo and do 5mph. It's SLOW!
One supermarket car park I go to regularly has a 2mph limit. You can imagine how many people take notice of that.

reminds me of a joke i once heard... i'll probably butcher it.

an officer on a military base was issued a speeding ticket for exceeding the posted 5 kmh speed limit. he protested, but the issuing officer's statement sealed the deal: "I could clearly read the jeep's speedometer as I was jogging past him, so the driver should have been aware of his speed as well."

Damn digital speedos !!

My car doesn't do 2mph, if I try then the computer opens the throttle and speeds up, and if I put the brakes on then it opens the throttle even more.
So I guess I can't go to that supermarket :) Even 5mph is a problem because the speedometer does start operating until 10mph.

My car doesn't do 2mph, if I try then the computer opens the throttle and speeds up, and if I put the brakes on then it opens the throttle even more.
So I guess I can't go to that supermarket :) Even 5mph is a problem because the speedometer does start operating until 10mph.

That's my excuse occifer, hic.

Back