Lexar High-Endurance or Samsung EVO Select Card?

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I hope to be purchasing an SG9665GC in the coming week, and would like to have a higher-capacity card for it. I have read quite a bit on this board to learn about the camera, and have seen the recommendations for the "best" card change with time. I would like to order a 128gb Samsung EVO card from Amazon when I order the camera, but was wondering if the Lexar High-Endurance card was more durable or more compatible to justify the sacrifice of capacity at only 64gb? Or, is there a better / more durable card in this class at this time?

Also, just curious, what kind of card are the cameras from Amazon shipped with right now?

Thank you!
Regan

I would avoid Lexar, I heard they started cutting corners the past year or more using cheaper materials to keep their price down. (and I've seen an increase in failed card reports from it)

Samsung EVO U3 cards are the way to go. U3 is as good or better than High Endurance

USA Stock has a mix of Transcend x400 Premium and Samsung EVO cards. (but nearly all USA stock is now Samsung EVO)

Also Lexar is being closed down so warrantee is questionable.

No one will want to buy the whole business if Micron is no longer going to be providing the memory chips. They may sell the brand name but it is unlikely that would include current warrantee.

Of course if you don't consider warrantee important then you could take advantage of current low prices, do take note of post #2 though.

No one will want to buy the whole business if Micron is no longer going to be providing the memory chips. They may sell the brand name but it is unlikely that would include current warrantee.

Of course if you don't consider warrantee important then you could take advantage of current low prices, do take note of post #2 though.

if they sell the brand name that won't exclude any warranty commitments, with or without warranty I wouldn't use their cards right now, low prices are a result of lower quality components and their results have been poor this year

if they sell the brand name that won't exclude any warranty commitments, with or without warranty I wouldn't use their cards right now, low prices are a result of lower quality components and their results have been poor this year
I would not use a Lexar card either.

Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to reply! I really do appreciate the prompt response and all the information.

Take care,
Regan

Looks like the brand / trademark has been bought without warrantee commitment or supply of memory chips, I guess Micron will take on the warrantee from past sales but might not make it easy to claim:

Longsys Acquires Lexar Brand, a Leading Brand for High-Performance Removable Storage Solutions
Strength of Lexar Brand Combined with Longsys’ Consumer Storage Dedication Enables Continued Support to Existing Lexar Customers as well as Exciting New Growth Opportunities

SHENZHEN, China and SAN JOSE, Calif (Aug. 31, 2017) – Longsys, a world leader in consumer flash storage, today announced that it has acquired the Lexar trademark and branding rights from Micron Technology, Inc. The Lexar brand has long been recognized as a leading brand for high-performance, high-reliability removable storage solutions for a wide variety of applications, such as the professional photography market. This acquisition provides assurance to existing Lexar customers that the solutions and support they have come to expect from Lexar branded products will continue to be available. Additionally, the market reach and product breadth provided by Longsys promises to expand the Lexar customer experience into new market segments and geographies.

“We are very honored to acquire the Lexar brand,” said Huabo Cai, CEO of Longsys Electronics Limited. “Lexar has built a great brand name and our vision is to make it even greater. Existing customers can rest assured that the innovative solutions and excellent support that they have experienced from Lexar will continue. The mission to make Lexar the go-to brand for high-performance removable storage continues, and we will expand upon it to offer even more compelling solutions as the age of wireless and big-data impact the consumer storage markets.”

Longsys has been focused on flash storage for over 18 years and provides a broad portfolio of solutions. Its embedded storage brand FORESEE® is leading in the market in China and growing rapidly on a worldwide basis. The company develops complete solutions, including software and hardware, which is key to innovation and deploying leading-edge flash technologies, such as 3D NAND. Longsys currently sells over 100 million flash-based products to the market on an annual basis. Lexar customers will benefit from the strategy and company culture of Longsys, including innovation, stability, strict quality control, localized and customized support and services, and a consumer storage focus.

Longsys envisions continued growth in the removable storage market, as many industry trends impact the consumer, including big data, wireless, and Quality of Service (QoS). Virtual reality, 8K video, automotive infotainment, video surveillance and drones are all examples of emerging applications expected to drive demand for high-performance, high-reliability removable storage. Longsys, with its focus on consumer storage, innovation, quality and reliability, is uniquely positioned to offer Lexar products and services to help solve these complex problems and provide solutions the market will demand.

not really clear from that statement who will be supporting the warranty on any existing product, if Micron no longer have the brand though would be a bit hard for them to support it unless the new owner is going to support it and charge it back to Micron

not really clear from that statement who will be supporting the warranty on any existing product, if Micron no longer have the brand though would be a bit hard for them to support it unless the new owner is going to support it and charge it back to Micron
I don't expect the new owner will do anything for a while, we will probably see the brand re-born with new products sometime next year. Meanwhile Micron can't legally close the current company until they have dealt with the existing warrantee obligations, wont stop them closing down the support desk and transferring the legal obligations elsewhere!

Can't see any buyer paying money and then sitting on the brand and doing nothing, that only happens when competitor companies get bought out specifically to get rid of the competition

Can't see any buyer paying money and then sitting on the brand and doing nothing, that only happens when competitor companies get bought out specifically to get rid of the competition
That always amazes me since competition is for the most part a good thing.

$179 with free shipping sunday only for 1 hour.
256card.jpg

Back