LG V40, has great camera, could be good for (incidental) dashcam use!

but which of the cameras do it use to record that ?

12 MP, 27mm (standard), f/1.5, 1/2.55", 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, 3-axis OIS
12 MP, 52mm (telephoto), f/2.4, 1.0µm, 2x optical zoom, PDAF, OIS
16 MP, 16mm (ultrawide), f/1.9, 1/3.1", 1.0µm, no AF ( selfie cam i assume )

It will never work well in the dark, too much motion blur. Why not show a sunshine example so that it looks OKish?

I don't think i have used my phone to record video yet, but i have taken a few photos with it.
And the place i have it mounted in the car ( off driver side door ) will be bad for dashcam filming i assume.

And the place i have it mounted in the car ( off driver side door ) will be bad for dashcam filming i assume.
Maybe OK, it will have a narrow field of view compared to a dashcam so may look OK. No point in using the wide angle lens, the sensor is too small.

I noticed a number of instances where the focus shifted to the debris/imperfections on the windshield (windscreen) and then back again. Probably not ideal for any type of regular use as a dashcam.

Really guys?

I didn't think of it as crap at all, sure there's motion blur and I could do with a clean windscreen, but all in all its not bad at all.....

I noticed a number of instances where the focus shifted to the debris/imperfections on the windshield (windscreen) and then back again. Probably not ideal for any type of regular use as a dashcam.

I think one could fix the focus to infinity distance.

Of course it's never gonna be by to go to setup, so I'm not gonna drag a whole discussion in this, but incidentally it does a really nice job.
Schermopname (2879).png

Maybe OK, it will have a narrow field of view compared to a dashcam so may look OK. No point in using the wide angle lens, the sensor is too small.

+1

It will never work well in the dark, too much motion blur. Why not show a sunshine example so that it looks OKish?

OK, coming up. Sometime..... :coffee:

OK, coming up. Sometime..... :coffee:
If you are getting our weather next then it will be a long wait before you get sunshine!

but incidentally it does a really nice job.
If you are trying to read number plates then it is not so good, if you are making movies then yes, the motion blur is not a problem, might even be considered good, and the colour, exposure, lack of fisheye is all good, and the microphone is much better than most dashcams.

i just did a recording with my MI9 phone on the maxis mount,,,,,, i will not even bother with sharing :sneaky:

Back to my belief that any cam is better than no cam. This one is OK but it seems that phones still do not make for good dashcams when compared to the real thing.

Phil

Indeed, and with the right circumstances i also think i would whip out my phone camera when i get out of the car.
Not to film other peoples misery or anything like that, if that's there my phone will remain in the pocket and i will trust my cameras in the car to catch any mischief.
And if anyone play internet journalist with their phone and are disrespectful about people hurt, i will tell them, and slap then if they don't comply.
I have actually been thinking about storing a action camera in the car, but then again that will probably not work due to their batteries, then again out of the sun in the boot or something it might work.

Back