Lidar

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Maybe that will be better for plate capture, i know at least EU plated have the numbers and letters pushed into the plate, so these raised letters should be easy for lidar to read,,,, and low light will not matter.

But maybe the 9m maximum scanning distance are too little distance

Wonder what the exposure time is for the lidar?

It is a scanning lidar so presumably is quite slow, which may mean a lot of "motion blur" on plates.
In any case, I think most of our plates are flat these days, not sure the pressed ones are legal for new cars since they don't have the right reflective materials.

Could be used to enhance the LDWS and similar features?

I did see on a episode of wheeler dealers that in the UK you could get a plate as a sticker,,,,,,, that you cant do here,,,,, or that is you can for "test" plates but then you can only drive to a garage or MOT station.
I think it could be combined with something to make something cool, but i also think it will take a substantial tinkering power from who ever venture there.

The video do say scan fast moving objects,,,, but not how fast, and it also say no motion blur.

Last edited:
Pressed steel license plates are legally in service in many countries all over the world. For decades, in many jurisdictions, the embossed numbers and lettering are coated with a glass beaded highly reflective finish such as in this provided example. As they happen to use such reflective finishes on license plates where I live I've noticed that often it is the reflective coatings that make plates so difficult to capture on dash cameras when in the glare of headlights.

reflective_plate.jpg

I did see on a episode of wheeler dealers that in the UK you could get a plate as a sticker,,,,,,, that you cant do here,,,,, or that is you can for "test" plates but then you can only drive to a garage or MOT station.
I think it could be combined with something to make something cool, but i also think it will take a substantial tinkering power from who ever venture there.
I checked, if I want a pressed plate on my car, I need to wait until it becomes a classic car, which is when it is 40 years old!
Until then it has to be a plastic reflective plates, although it is legal to stick the letters on top of the plastic, and they can be thick letters so can give a similar effect to pressed, or have sharp outlines rather than the traditional rounded shape. I imagine this is based on EU rules so the other EU countries will be very similar.

However new cars are only going to come with flat plates, so the lidar isn't going to be much use on 99.99% of vehicles.

For nighttime maybe in close range and low speed fixed sensor, or an indoor application like parking, but in daylight absolutely not. Receiver easily gets saturated by the sun causing extremely low SNR, sensitivity and range. Now add vibration to it. No way.

Photo radar seems quite capable of capturing a moving plate and suspect the stamped letters helps.

I dunno how long for, but my state in the US does not use plates like that. they are all flat and it has make plates so damn hard to read in dash cam videos when my headlights are reflecting off them.

Back