Lightweight suction-mounted telescopic carbon action camera pole for boat

Paul White

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I race a (very wet) Weta 4.4 Trimaran and have created a 1m long "Sucker Stick" for an action camera which suctions to the back of the c0ckpit using half a glass suction handle and 1m of carbon tube. The camera is mounted on the tube using a Sony 1/4 action cam handlebar mount.

I brace it to the back of the boat using a shock-cord looped around the transom crossbar. A photo of the prototype version of the mount with an aluminium broom handle pole is below. The cable tie has been replaced with shock cord.

The system works but, it's not ideal because the suction part uses mild steel components which aren't seawater compatible and the carbon poile is lightweight, but awkward to transport. I'm looking for more robust solution combining a suction mount (so it can be moved from boat to boat) and 1.0 m telescopic carbon monopod for transport.

- Must be robust enough to withstand capsizing
- Must be saltwater proof (no mild steel parts)
- Must have a locking suction mechanism to create a tight seal against the c0ckpit wall (the floor has a grip texture and is not suitable for a suction)
- Must not flex unduly where the camera is mounted on the end of the pole
- Must be lightweight

The XM Warrior camera I use has a 1/4" standard mount.
suckastick4.jpg

Must be robust enough to withstand capsizing

sailing to the limit, and then a little extra :) that's how i take most things i deal with (y)

Cant you remake the steel parts in stainless or something, or have some one do it.
Not sure if you can get something that's strong and saltwater resistant, telescopic are probably all out the door as it would need to be pretty strong in case of a flip of the boat.

your best choice might be something like a shooting stick, but i am not sure if you can get those telescopic and if they are strong enough for the purpose and saltwater resistant to a usable degree.

I think I may have found a better suction handle for showers. We have one and the chrome is plastic (although it looks cool!) and the suction mechanism all seems to be stainless since there's no sign of rust.
shower handle.jpg
So now the issue is to find a telescopic carbon pole that doesn't use any ferrous metals - they do exist for diving selfie sticks - but I need one that is stiff enough not to vibrate uncontrollably.

This is an example of the conditions I sail in

you running elvstrom sail on that thing ?

I was thinking i have build a few fly rods on killwell carbon blanks, they do larger things too as i recall, and they are "just around the corner"

http://www.kilwellfibretube.co.nz/

My larger ( not long ) rods for deep water fishing / big game are fairly stiff take a decent sized fish to put any kind of bed in them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
michaelb Action Camera Discussion 1