Limited to 20001 pics?

drygdryg

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi guys,

I have let my Git2 run all day long to make 1 photo (8 MP) per second for a time lapse. After nearly 14 hours it stopped to take any more photos, and the red back led was continuously on. There were exactly 20001 photos on the 64 GB card (Samsung Evo, started empty by being formatted in the camera), and there was still 14 GB of space left over. The cam was powered by a power bank that was still full enough at the end.
Firmware is 1.61.0104

Do you know any reason for it and how to avoid this issue?

Probably a hard limit that nobody has reached before, possibly something that can be adjusted in the firmware, let @gitup know and they can get the engineers to check it

It is limit of file system (FAT32) for one folder. New folder must be created for next 20k files.

Oh, this limit seems to make it impossible to shoot long time lapse footage. Is there any way to create a new folder automatically? If not, there would be a break which causes a crack in the flow of the resulting video :(

Oh, this limit seems to make it impossible to shoot long time lapse footage. Is there any way to create a new folder automatically? If not, there would be a break which causes a crack in the flow of the resulting video :(
Just ask @gitup for that. I guess it is possible to fix and camera would be able to create new folders for each 20k files.

It is limit of file system (FAT32) for one folder. New folder must be created for next 20k files.
Per MS a FAT32 directory has a maximum of 65K (65536) entries. Each file requires a minimum 2 entries so the maximum number of files per directory is 32K. File names are stored with 13 characters per entry so the longer the file names the more entries are needed and the fewer files per directory.

If each file required 3 entries then the number of files per directory is reduced to 21845, if 4 entries are needed then we are down to 16384, etc. Given that 20001 is a strange (seemingly arbitrary - but close to 21845) number I suspect it's just a F/W limitation, possibly implemented to prevent problems with the FAT32 limitation.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...an-place/9b371fae-5e09-4fe6-b24f-be16547896f3

I did now what I did not do before (shame on me): I still have the memory card with the big pile of photos. When I try to shoot another photo to store it on the card then the cam shows "memory error" in the display. But when I connect the card to Windows (no camera, just by card reader), then I can add files into the photo directory. So it can't be a FAT32 issue, it must be caused by the camera.

...So it can't be a FAT32 issue, it must be caused by the camera.
As @tmvideo said, you'll probably need to request the F/W be modified to start a new directory.

Last edited:
The Novatek limitation is 10000 pics, we updated this to 20000 pics from last year due to same request.
Seems hard to support more than 20000 pics on Novatek platform.

20001: A (File) Space Oddity.

images-17.jpeg

Glad to see the HAL9001 patch has fixed it.

Back