Linus tech tips on dashcams.

Right on Brian,
Wow!!!
Viofo is going to love this guy. lol
-Chuck

He is BIG on the interweb, i watch some of his stuff, but i have not bookmarked his channel, and the subscription bases way of keeping track on youtube ASO, well i do not use that as it is abused.

Viofo is going to love this guy. lol
@viofo certain is :D ,
365 thousand views/recommendations for the A119 V3 in just 3 hours ... wonder how many by tomorrow?

And even better, the comments are agreeing with the recommendation.

He is BIG on the interweb, i watch some of his stuff, but i have not bookmarked his channel, and the subscription bases way of keeping track on youtube ASO, well i do not use that as it is abused.
I don't think there is any reason to avoid the subscriptions? They work well.

And, it tracks your views anyway, knows exactly what you have watched, what you are interested in, what you have searched for on Google and thus might want to watch...!

i know, that battle are lost

either way i dont think anyone should follow 200 channels on youtube and several 1000 others on other platforms.
That would be like having 500 TV channels on cable and 8 televisions in your house, not healthy in any way.

We are all paying big time now for our information being turned into profit and power, if they do that with out attention too,,,, we are lost.
That is probably also why i intensely dislike people that are overly fans of something.

Here in the news ATM, after yet another soccer match turned into a slug fest, politicians are out in arms with stupid ideas, when all they need to do is ban alcohol sale on the stadium and breath test all that want to go see a match,,,,,, O and of course keep police away from there let them slaughter each other.

Linus and his team always make great reviews and this is no exception.

Pretty much what I found when I became dissatisfied with the Nextbase mount system and then the poor quality 1080p of the 380.

This video should be linked to in all the 'what should I buy' threads

But Linus didn't talk about the long term durability and dependability of dashcams

That's the thing with a lot of reviews. They get brand new units for a few weeks.

Car reviews are a prime example, they don't have them long enough.

That's the thing with a lot of reviews. They get brand new units for a few weeks.

Car reviews are a prime example, they don't have them long enough.
Yo Kremmen,
When I started doing dash cam reviews on my youtube channel I use the camera every day, (12 hours per day) for a month before writing the script, and coming up with my final thoughts.
Do you think 30 days of use is a fair amount of time?
I watch A LOT of youtube dash cam reviews, and the majority are just simply "unboxings" and it's obvious the presenter does not have adequate experience, and knowledge to fully understand what they are talking about. Some are really on par with Home Shopping Network, or QVC representatives. lol
-Chuck

That's a fair time to perform the initial review, then highlight any failings as they happen. You can't beat long term owner reviews.

How many Amazon reviews follow the pattern - "arrived on time yesterday, 5 stars"

There are a few posts here for one manufacturer showing burst dashcam cases, presumably heat related and expanding internals.

I got my first V3 about 3 months after release and it's still going strong.

I think it is a good thing to be able to provide long term usage information, that is also why most of my cameras end up recording out of my living room window for a few months,,,,,,, even if it have been in use in my car for a year.

It is very simple and in general i just check that the camera do what it is supposed to do, and slowly eat away on the life expectancy of the memory card inside.

The kickstarter camera i am waiting for, someone there asked " how about cold weather performance"
And of course i could not comment on that camera as no one have one to play with and for sure not in cold weather, but i could say that in general some Canadians have managed to cold lock their other brands dashcams, so they would not work before the car heated up a little.

In general i just try to make myself available with my simple talking hands inboxing videos, and i assume if people have questions they would just ask.
It is really quite simple here, which i also feel operating a dashcam should be, i do not compare cameras image quality ASO as it is my feeling ( just like linus ) that on that it is hard to find ones that really stand out in a good way, and i also think it might even be hard to find the ones that do the same in the negative aspect.
And modders time and time again prove that there are actually extra performance to be unlocked from dashcams, making me think no dashcam brand have a DPT for that, they just make cameras and sell them, and any problems i think are largely pushed back to the SOC maker to fix,,,,,, hence why it can often take a long time for a problem to be fixed.

On linus video i commented, why dont you strap one of your kick ass studio cameras to a car, and show how it is done ( me being a little frustrated with Linus seeming to expect low light performance to be better than it can be )

But Linus didn't talk about the long term durability and dependability of dashcams
He didn't cover much at all, just the one point about image quality vs price.
OK, he did mention super capacitors, but there is a lot more to dashcams than that!

It was a good point to make, and very well made, but not a great review... unless you are Viofo!

The comments are much more informative, with a lot of them mentioning the long term reliability of Viofo cameras.

The title is not that good either, almost any dashcam is better than no dashcam when someone hits you and doesn't escape without their plate being read, many people could make better choices, but they are not wasting money.

On linus video i commented, why dont you strap one of your kick ass studio cameras to a car, and show how it is done ( me being a little frustrated with Linus seeming to expect low light performance to be better than it can be )
Yes, the GoPro that got mentioned will not do well in the low light examples he was showing, and neither will his studio camera!

Not sure it is worth bothering to comment on his video though, who is going to read your comment among the now 6697 other comments?!

Now up to 1.4 Million views in 16 hours!

I found his findings about the tiny number of lenses and processors useful.

100's of dashcams all basically using almost identical parts but presumably implemented differently.

The bottom line seems to be you can't go far wrong with a V3

The other major factor is - what do you expect from a tiny 3" or 4" box ? Not exactly the large shoulder held cameras the TV boys carry round.

Been following Linus for years.
That video is more target to a general audience. I would like to think of it as a video for my wife when buying a dashcam , vs me buying a dashcam.
He did make a nice point about soc, it has been mentioned here from time to time but I simply gloss over it.
For long term review, seems that he have his LTT Labs (similar to Tom's Hardware and Anandtech) setup up for that.

I don't know who Linus is and have never heard of him.

I started watching this video initially and was about to close the page.
I kept seeing him recommend crap after crap after crap...and kept asking where the heck is the A119 V3 and just silently thinking to myself that wow...this is the typical "open-box" review of random dashcams done by a majority of YouTube idiots.

I wanted to close the page, but hesitated and decided to continue watching because I got to the 7 minute mark and he mentioned Garmin which was a major manufacturer.
I saw how popular this thread is and how many people have posted in it so far that I decided to continue watching. I'm glad that I watched it all the way to the end though and saw that he mentioned the A119 V3.
I typically don't go out of my way to read YouTube comments for new videos unless it's something that I have watched completely and I'm interested in reading how other people think.

I'm surprised he spent so much time talking about Novatek processor 96670 vs 96630 vs 96650 that he did not mention anything about bit-rates. You can have a high end processor with crap bit-rates and it will still look like crap.
BlackVue uses HiSilicon. I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I think that if I know that then so should he since technology is his field?
I'm also not sure what to think about him recommending using a GoPro as a dashcam...:unsure:

don't know who Linus is
Same here, never heard of her.
thinking to myself that wow...this is the typical "open-box" review of random dashcams done by a majority of YouTube idiots.
Why I outta!
I'll have you know I put a lot of hard work, and effort into my YouTube dash cam reviews.
Oh wait. lol

I had near the same exprerience watching that video.
It was filled with so many things that were not exactly false & misleading, but were definately not correct.
If only he would have contacted our resident DCT expert @Nigel and asked a few basic research questions before making his video.
But hey, he's got 15M YouTube subscribers he doesn't have to be 100% accurate, he just needs to be 100% entertaining.
Kinda like Scotty Kilmer. lol
-Chuck

Same here, never heard of her.

Why I outta!
I'll have you know I put a lot of hard work, and effort into my YouTube dash cam reviews.
Oh wait. lol

I had near the same exprerience watching that video.
It was filled with so many things that were not exactly false & misleading, but were definately not correct.
If only he would have contacted our resident DCT expert @Nigel and asked a few basic research questions before making his video.
But hey, he's got 15M YouTube subscribers he doesn't have to be 100% accurate, he just needs to be 100% entertaining.
Kinda like Scotty Kilmer. lol
-Chuck
Oh boy...Don't even get me started about that guy.

Back