LiPo battery DR400G

LmBsY

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Powerucc Panorama II, Blackvue DR400G, Mobius Actioncam
I've had problems in the past where the camera , upon removal of power, would turn off straight away without properly shutting down, ie without the "blackvue is shutting down" announcement. This often results in an incorrect timestamp, whereby the time continues from the point it was shut off. After some research, I found that it was the internal 3.7v lipo no longer holding a charge and needs replacement. I can partially blame the overheating problems the 400 is known for.

The original lipo lasted for half a year before it was gone when it hit the summer months. Ive subsequently ebayed some new 3.7v lipos with a better mAh rating (200mah over the original 175mah) as well as the charge 'C' rating (20C, original was 10 or 15C, I think). Although it solved my problem, they last no longer than 2 or so months before they bloat and I again needed replacement. Im now on my 3rd one, which is just about dead, and it barely reached a month and a half, and this is over the cooler winter months here.

What could be wrong here as to why they don't last as long as the original one? Could it be poor quality batteries? Any recommended battery brand or mods? One thing I could/should be looking at is some mods some people here have done, or having the battery mounted outside rather than enclosed with the heat.
What are people's experiences with any such mods?

I've also heard about super capacitors, like the one used in the DR500GW, wonder if something like that could be used instead of the lipo.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

LmBsY said:
What could be wrong here as to why they don't last as long as the original one? Could it be poor quality batteries?

quality is certainly an issue, good chance the batteries you've been using have no protection circuitry built in to tell it when to stop charging

LmBsY said:
I've also heard about super capacitors, like the one used in the DR500GW, wonder if something like that could be used instead of the lipo.

Mainboard design is different when using Super Capacitors instead of batteries, you couldn't just put them in place of your battery

LiPo batteries are a big liability if using parking mode, Super Capacitors are the only way to do this correctly

Back