List of Dash Cam's actually designed to be horizontally Dash Mounted (rather than angled Windshield Mounted)

McQuack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have a list of dash cams that are designed to be dash mounted? I have a Ram 1500 that has dual suction cup mounts centered on the dash. Most designs appear upside down if dash mounted, or don't even have the angle flexibility to be mounted to a horizontal surface.

1) Old yet still very expensive Garmin nuviCam LMTHD 6" that would actually be an ideal design (center mounted on my dash suction mount but angled a bit towards me with the camera adjusted left accordingly to point straight ahead).

2) I had also considered just using an old Galaxy S6 I have laying around, as a similar combo dashcam/GPS, however, phones appear to have quite a narrow field of view and you can't angle it towards you without the camera pointing off to the side.

3) Or perhaps just mount a screenless mini-dashcam like the Mobius Maxi, which can wirelessly display to say a Galaxy S6 on the other mount.

Any others to consider?

Why do you want a display? (Or want to view on a phone 100% of the time?)
The Blueskysea B1W is tiny, and the the image can be flipped, but I think you'd end up seeing a hell of a lot of your hood in the video, and maybe not get very good coverage of the front corners of the pickup
. I 'think' they have a suction cup mount for it, or you could find one that works. (Or just use the adhesive mount)

Doesn't have to have a constant video feed, but if it does I don't want it or the buttons or logo to appear upside down, seems kind of cheesy when it is all obviously inverted.

Should be mounted like this:
1e690501878136e63a4d701635332159.jpg

I could also mount it up high but then I have to figure out how to route the cable ALL the way around which is a pain, and I religiously use a winshield reflector that is a very stiff folder, custom fit, and I fear anything on the window will interfere with a clean close fit.

There's not some sort of overhead console with a cubbyhole, maybe a few courtesy lights? (I have an older GMC)

Most of the embedded logos on the video can be turned off in the settings menu.

The Maxi is ok. I've been running one for a few months, some 'no start' problems, and I have something going on now that may be the card failing.

Good point, and I realized on further inspection that my sun shield would not be obstructed if I mount it centered close to the rearview which has a large cutout accordingly.

I've ordered the A119 V2 w/ GPS and anti-glare filter, and am now shopping for an appropriate mirror tap (I have a powered mirror I should be able to get power from I think) and am thinking of ordering this tap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07BFRWC3X

These Viofo cams tend to do best using the power supplies which come with them. There have been many who've had problems using other power sources including PS's which work well with other cams. You can try the mirror tap and it might work, just know that it might not. A very good and reliable cam when used with the proper PS and I'm sure you'll like it.

Phil

Back