Lithium Batteries - BBC Podcast

A battery is an item that can rapidly release a large amount of energy.
Another word for such an item is "bomb."

A battery is an item that can rapidly release a large amount of energy.
Another word for such an item is "bomb."

That's not quite true.

When lithium batteries fail in the manner being discussed here they experience what is called a "thermal runaway". Certain conditions within the battery lead to an increase in heat which feeds on itself and so it gets hotter and hotter, eventually resulting in a lithium metal fire. (which is very hard to extinguish) The heat causes the battery's electrolyte to expand until it bursts, releasing large amounts of hot flammable gas in the form of a fine mist which ignites when it suddenly comes into contact with oxygen in the air and releases a lot of energy very quickly. It is only when this reaction takes place inside a confined, sealed space where the rapidly expanding burning gases cannot escape that you end up with an actual explosion. So for example, if a lithium-ion battery experiences a thermal runaway inside a tightly sealed metal flashlight it becomes in essence a pipe bomb and will explode from the pressure. In other devices like dash cams, where the lithium battery is a foil pouch inside a plastic camera, the battery will generally swell up and might even catch fire if it bursts but it is unlikely to explode in the classic sense of what we can legitimately define as an explosion.

Last edited:
That's not quite true.

When lithium batteries fail in the manner being discussed here they experience what is called a "thermal runaway". Certain conditions within the battery lead to an increase in heat which feeds on itself and so it gets hotter and hotter, eventually resulting in a lithium metal fire. (which is very hard to extinguish) The heat causes the battery's electrolyte to expand until it bursts, releasing large amounts of hot flammable gas in the form of a fine mist which ignites when it suddenly comes into contact with oxygen in the air and releases a lot of energy very quickly. It is only when this reaction takes place inside a confined, sealed space where the rapidly expanding burning gases cannot escape that you end up with an actual explosion. So for example, if a lithium-ion battery experiences a thermal runaway inside a tightly sealed metal flashlight it becomes in essence a pipe bomb and will explode. In other devices like dash cams, where the lithium battery is a foil pouch inside a plastic camera, the battery will generally swell up and might even catch fire if it bursts but it is unlikely to explode in the classic sense of what we can legitimately define as an explosion.
I learned this many years ago with few of my lipo based dashcams got swollen. Why many "other" manufacturers still don't learn this ?!

...Why many "other" manufacturers still don't learn this ?!
They do, but they don't care. Cheaper is better. :(

I learned this many years ago with few of my lipo based dashcams got swollen. Why many "other" manufacturers still don't learn this ?!

When I bought my first dash cam five years ago, there was no such thing (as far as I know) of a dash cam with a super-capacitor. Now they are reasonably common and becoming more available as time goes on. Eventually, my guess is that they will become the norm with only some being supplied with lithium-polymer.

Speaking of lithium batteries, several years ago I had an increasing amount of trouble with the keyboard on one of my laptop computers. For awhile I even thought I had been infected with some kind of malware because when I would hit certain keys I would get unexpected results in the words I typed or the cursor would suddenly jump to an unexpected place on the page. It was like it had a mind of its own. This went on intermittently for several months and was getting worse. It was starting to make me paranoid. Finally, I discovered that the lithium battery pack which is directly under the keyboard on my machine had slowly been swelling up until it had damaged the keyboard from below but there was no indication this was going on until the computer was dismantled. Even though the battery was quite swollen it took and held a good charge and otherwise appeared to be functioning as normal.

Last edited:
When I bought my first dash cam five years ago, there was no such thing (as far as I know) of a dash cam with a super-capacitor. Now they are reasonably common and becoming more available as time goes on. Eventually, my guess is that they will become the norm with only some being supplied with lithium-polymer.

Speaking of lithium batteries, several years ago I had an increasing amount of trouble with the keyboard on one of my laptop computers. For awhile I even thought I had been infected with some kind of malware because when I would hit certain keys I would get unexpected results in the words I typed or the cursor would suddenly jump to an unexpected place on the page. It was like it had a mind of its own. This went on intermittently for several months and was getting worse. It was starting to make me paranoid. Finally, I discovered that the lithium battery pack which is directly under the keyboard on my machine had slowly been swelling up until it had damaged the keyboard from below but there was no indication this was going on until the computer was dismantled. Even though the battery was quite swollen it took and held a good charge and otherwise appeared to be functioning as normal.
After some bad parking unpleasant accident, my very first dashcam was not 30-50usd junk, but 250$ Dod GS600. Trully piece of art for 1080p back then. Served me for 1 year and I really admire it from form-factor POV, but lipo battery made me think in other directions. Since then my dashcam-saga started ;)

Last edited:
After some bad parking unpleasant accident, my very first dashcam was not 30-50usd junk, but 250$ Dod GS600. Trully piece of art for 1080p back then. Served me for 1 year and I really admire it from form-factor POV, but lipo battery made me think in other directions. Since then my dashcam-saga started ;)

Well, we are all very glad you had that unfortunate parking accident. :D It's a good example of the law of unexpected consequences. :)

Well, we are all very glad you had that unfortunate parking accident. :D It's a good example of the law of unexpected consequences. :)
"All bad things happens for smth good", - this has been my motto since when I first time was late to school bus which got into non-faithal accident ( thanks God ) !. But still it was A Good Sign to change my mind towards this theory.

You should see a thermal runavay on a lipo the size we use for out RC toys, there is a whole lot of "action" in a +5000 mah battery with 3-4-5 cells in it

Okay my friend do use some 2 cell batteries, but the smallest i have myself is 3 cell, and the largest ones i have is the 5 cell i use for my G-scale trains.

Our batteries seem to want to go thermal when we plug them into our fancy smancy expensive lipo chargers, some times we dont even get as far as pressing the charge button before the battery start to swell up and smell funny.

We have not had a battery burst into flames yet, but it have been close a couple of times i think.
And they do flame when you shoot them with the air rifle :D

All my lipo batteries i keep in my oven in the kitchen, there is about 30,000 mah lipo bomb ticking out there :)

Last edited:
Back