little said about any 70 MAI

Screen name taken

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
70mai Dash Cam Pro
reading the forums there is little said about issues with any 70 MAI cam.
Are they really that unpopular? Or are they really that reliable?
Watching YouTube reviews It looks as if the GPS module is not worth the extra. The video "print" of location is rather large, plus there is no software to map the route. It looks as if the basic 70MAi (pencil type cam) is not so good as the Pro or its cheaper brother.
On this site found the review for the pencil cam.
What do others think?

Are they really that unpopular? Or are they really that reliable?
It uses a battery instead of super capacitors, so not recommended for hot spanish summers. I guess that is why there is not much talk about it here, people here have taken the advice to avoid battery based dashcams.

Nigel Please tell me more just how hot it has to be before a battery fails.

You can't put an exact number on when it will fail, charging the battery at temps below 0c or above 45c they are not stable, 45c is easily exceeded in even mild weather

Good because I have never seen day time temps over 35 Centigrade. Even in the hottest parts Spain will not reach 45.

The conversation about batteries does not answer my question(s) as to why there is not much conversation about this range.

The whole world is not hot.
Besides a comment was made without knowing some facts.
It is not all sun sea and sangria.

where you are isn't that relevant, the relevant points from post 2

It uses a battery instead of super capacitors ....... I guess that is why there is not much talk about it here, people here have taken the advice to avoid battery based dashcams.

you asked why it doesn't get talked about much, other battery powered dashcams don't get much interest either, it's not just this one, perhaps the only exception would be Nextbase but I suspect that has more to do with being sold in major retail outlets in the UK

perhaps the only exception would be Nextbase but I suspect that has more to do with being sold in major retail outlets in the UK
And there is a lot of talk of battery failures in that sub-forum, even in :cool: UK 13 months is a good lifetime for a Nextbase, many die long before the warranty runs out, and they still try to sell their customers refurbished replacements.

That is not to say that a battery can't be used, but no current dashcams seem to have adequate temperature protection for the batteries, so the advice to avoid them is good advice.

but I suspect that has more to do with being sold in major retail outlets in the UK
Yes, people buy them before coming here, whereas with the 70 mai people come here before buying.

I'm running the 70mai pro in Dubai, UAE for almost one year. Temps reach easily 50C during summer (outside). No issues so far.
GPS module is kinda useless. If you get a good deal, get it. If not, does not worth the bother.

Otherwise rock solid camera with good video quality.

Cheers.

Back