LIVE VIEW THROUGH HDMI

My problem is simply time. In the end, I have to admit that it just doesn't work - for whatever reason. The bus has to leave soon and I don't see any way around it. I had also considered using a webcam instead of a dashcam, but that would result in a totally blurred picture. They are not designed to be stuck to the windshield in the vehicle, but to stand firmly in place.

If you have the time you might want to consider the NVR approach I suggested earlier in the thread as they are small, will work with your choice of camera, have an HDMI port built in and operate on 12V which makes them easily compatible with automotive electrical systems.

Your cable appears to have multiple outputs, have you tried all of them?
I remember someone having problems, who then found the video on the audio output.

Your cable appears to have multiple outputs, have you tried all of them?
I remember someone having problems, who then found the video on the audio output.

I suspect a mis-wired / mis-labed RCA video port would more likely be encountered in a some cheap generic Chinese offering rather than from a name brand product sold by a well known 78 year old German firm even if their item is also manufactured in the P.R.C. Anything can happen I suppose.

Last edited:
I have connected the camera to my old TV at home, which has these connections. As soon as the jack plug is in the AV output and no matter which cable is connected elsewhere, it makes really bad noises and no picture. If I pull the plug out a bit, I have a picture - but SW. I bought a new cable this morning because I think either the cable has a break or the AV output of the camera is not OK. After testing the new cable, I have come to the conclusion that the camera is not OK, as the same problem occurs.

As a result, only a broken signal arrives at the converter, which then cannot convert it correctly. That's total crap (sorry). I think that next time I'll test a dashcam with HDMi (due to be released in April) or I'll do without a dashcam and use a streaming camera instead in the hope that the picture won't wobble. That's not ideal. The original cameras for the bus won't be available until next year...

I have also tried all the connections and only connected the video. Nothing changes

I have connected the camera to my old TV at home, which has these connections. As soon as the jack plug is in the AV output and no matter which cable is connected elsewhere, it makes really bad noises and no picture. If I pull the plug out a bit, I have a picture - but SW. I bought a new cable this morning because I think either the cable has a break or the AV output of the camera is not OK. After testing the new cable, I have come to the conclusion that the camera is not OK, as the same problem occurs.

As a result, only a broken signal arrives at the converter, which then cannot convert it correctly. That's total crap (sorry). I think that next time I'll test a dashcam with HDMi (due to be released in April) or I'll do without a dashcam and use a streaming camera instead in the hope that the picture won't wobble. That's not ideal. The original cameras for the bus won't be available until next year...

I have personally experienced this exact same problem several times over the years and the problem was that the 3.5mm mini AV phone plug cables I had were incompatible with the device I was using them in. If I pulled the plugs out slightly I could sometimes get a good AV signal but no audio or vice versa. If I pushed the plug all the way in, the audio would make a loud crackling static noise because some circuit contact on the plug was shorting out.

So I think it likely that my theory that you have the wrong AV cable plug is correct. I don't know why, but for some reason not all these AV cable plugs or devices are standardized. I recall when I purchased a small LCD monitor from China it would only work with the AV cable and plugs that it came with and nothing else. Eventually the cheap cable it came with frayed and came apart right behind the 3.5mm mini plug and I was never able to find a suitable cable to replace it with that had a mini plug with the same wiring configuration and so the monitor became useless.

Perhaps if you called Schwaiger again and asked if they have any suggestions. Did you purchase the AV cable from them when you purchased the AV converter? A different AV converter and/or cable combination may be required to solve your problem.

I understand that time is short for your needs but maybe you can still get this to work.

Last edited:
We solved this yesterday at extremely short notice with a GoPro 10 and the MediaMod. This gave us an extremely high and good resolution, a very good angle and a direct HDMI connection. I will also get the appropriate filters for next time to reduce the reflections and a remote control for the driver will also be added. All in all, this is what we need. I apologize for all the trouble - but at the same time thank you for the extremely quick and good help here. This is not necessarily normal for forums. As a newcomer to dashcams, I have definitely learned something new :) Many thanks and best regards from Germany

That's good news :)

Dashcams tend to have a better exposure setup, and far better HDR at night, for road use than GoPros, which tend to be set up for movie making and normally have rather high contrast for driving use. So if Viofo does release their dashcam with HDMI output, that may be a preferable setup from your passenger's point of view. Not being available yet is obviously a problem, so this probably a note for future readers rather than JK_BR!

I think this is definitely a good solution, as a dashcam is designed for continuous operation. But a dashcam is primarily intended to do its job and record everything and is not designed to transmit the image without data etc. to another screen. I may also have to look for a streaming camera that compensates for camera shake. Anyway, now is the time

Very glad to hear that you managed to come up with a viable solution before your deadline! This will provide an opportunity to explore an even better solution in the future. A GoPro will probably not be good long term solution because they were never designed for continuous operation, but instead for relatively short episodse due to heat issues so problems might arise. Still, this approach should be fine for now. Best of luck!

Back