LK-530 (battery) problem?

cbamity

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received the Lukas LK LK-530 battery for use with my Lukas LK-7900 camera, and I think the battery I have received may not be working properly, but is hard to tell because of the wording of the manual.

The owner's manual states that upon connecting the battery to the cigarette lighter (DC in), the display should show "CH **" with the ** representing a number, I think, for example "CH 85." My understanding is that this would indicate that the battery is charging and is at 85% of capacity. My product never displays any number, but just shows "CH" with a flowing/ rotating rectangle after the "CH." It looks like the battery is trying to determine the charging level, but is unable to do so. Also, the battery shuts off even when the battery switch is on, the battery is plugged into the cigarette lighter, and the car engine is running. In other words, it sometimes fails to recognize that it is receiving power from the cigarette lighter, despite the fact that it is.

Can anyone shed some light onto the situation. Is is clear from my description that my product is faulty, or am I missing something?

Since no one has replied yet, let me clarify my first question. When the battery is plugged in (to a DC source such as cigarette lighter), what should show on the display? I expected to see "CH" plus a number indicating the charging level 0-100. I never see any number, just "CH" and a line that rotates clockwise around the periphery of where I think 2 numbers should be (thus forming a rectangle shape). Is my understanding correct, and does it sound like my battery is faulty?

I have contacted Lukas regarding the display issue, and apparently the manual is not longer correct and have yet to update it. They changed the default charging display to no longer show the battery level, but have a flowing rectangle in its place to indicate charging is occuring. The guy from Lukas says that this is normal behavior. I still have the problem of the battery going to "off" while the car is running, and I am currently trying to figure that one out. The problem is that once the battery displays "off" while the switch is on, it will no longer charge the battery despite the switch being on. I am looking to see if this is an issue with regards to the input cut-off voltage or if there is another problem.

Is it working properly now? Where did you buy it from? Ebay green-sum?

Back