LK-7300: Does It Remember Setup Info?

PeteCress4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukas 7300, F500L HD
I just unboxed one of these things. Installation was a snap and I think it's going to be a winner for me overall.

But I'm not sure I understand how it handles setup parameters.

On the face of it, it seems like I have to open up the SD card on a PC using Lukas' application and set the parms there (e.g. Video Quality = Highest) - and if I stick another SD card into the device and tell Lukas to format it, I wind up with all default parms until I am able to find a PC with Lukas' app on it and change them.

Or am I missing something?

When you format the SD card when the card is installed in the Lukas camera, it will maintain any setting that you have previously saved using your Lukas viewer, and will only format the folders that save the driving information. In order to change the settings, you have to insert the SD card into your computer, and via the Lukas viewer, you make any required changes, then save it, which will save them to the SD card. Any changes you make to your configuration, will not be formatted , as they stay on the card, until you change them again if required.

JamesDee said:
When you format the SD card when the card is installed in the Lukas camera, it will maintain any setting that you have previously saved using your Lukas viewer, and will only format the folders that save the driving information. In order to change the settings, you have to insert the SD card into your computer, and via the Lukas viewer, you make any required changes, then save it, which will save them to the SD card. Any changes you make to your configuration, will not be formatted , as they stay on the card, until you change them again if required.
Sounds like I was tripping over the semantics.

In computerspeak, "Format" clobbers the entire card or drive. No data survives a Format.

In LukasSpeak, OTOH, "Format" is shorthand for selective deletion of data.

I discovered that if I back up System.dat and copy it to another card, the settings from the source card come with it.

My question is now, is that I am about to purchase a new 128 gig SD card. So when I receive that, do I simply do a complete format using my windows XP first, then copy and paste the newest firmware file to it, then open Lukas viewer to make my settings that I require ? Or is there any information that needs to be copied and pasted from the original SD card that came with the camera ?

JamesDee said:
My question is now, is that I am about to purchase a new 128 gig SD card. So when I receive that, do I simply do a complete format using my windows XP first, then copy and paste the newest firmware file to it, then open Lukas viewer to make my settings that I require ? Or is there any information that needs to be copied and pasted from the original SD card that came with the camera ?
I have had my 7300 for a grand total of three (3) days.

Having said that...

AFIK, the SD card needs tb "formatted" twice before being put into the cam.

1. By Windows as FAT32. All my cards have come out of the box preformatted FAT32, so I have never done this.

2. By the Lukas PC app. This is where the quotes come in - because the Lukas app does not really format the card in the Windows/Mac/Linux sense. Instead it copies files and creates directories.

There is no firmware. On the original card from Lukas there may be a setup file for the Windows app, but that is nothing to do with the cam and is not needed once you have done the Windows install.

But if you have another card that you have used already and you want to keep the cam settings, you should copy it's System.dat file to the new card, replacing the one that the PC app created. Heaven forbid, Lukas should use an editable Config.sys text file...-)

The Lukas Viewer formats the card AND THEN creates folders.

P.S. I don't think you need to open a new thread for every question that you have. One thread would suffice.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

I don't think you need to open a new thread for every question that you have. One thread would suffice.
I am thinking in the context of other users looking for answers later on.

More granularity in the Subject would seem to make for easier manual searching by browsing thread headers.

Swordfish said:
The Lukas Viewer formats the card AND THEN creates ...
Dunno how I got the notion that the Lukas app just copied files, but I was so sure of it that I just ran a test to prove it...

Oops!!...The Lukas app really *did* do a true format.

I stand corrected.

Back