LK-7500, impressions

johnf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had it a week now, had the Livue LB100 for a couple months. Thought about the 7500 vs. the 7900, but got this off the bay for $160 delivered, and liked the mount a bit better. When summer comes I might wish I had the better heat capability of the 7900 (I live in Las Vegas NV), but the 7500 is no worse than other cams.

I like the daytime video of the 7500, night time is slightly better than the Livue. The cheaper Livue LB100 shuts itself off from parking mode when the battery reaches a configured voltage without the need for an additional box, a great feature I wish the 7500 / 7900 had built in. The LB100 video is 720 vs. the 1080 of the7500, still really good video quality and takes up less memory storage.

Firmware and viewer software is more polished with the Lukas, no question about that. So, both good cams. I will be moving the LB100 to my wife's car instead of selling it, so I guess I feel it is really good, maybe just not as slick as the Lukas (oh, and less video resolution.)

Unlike some others, I really like the form factor of the 7500 - looks to me like it blends in behind the rear view mirror very well.

Last edited:
Never seen a 9500/9700 model by Lukas...do you mean 7500/7900?

Never seen a 9500/9700 model by Lukas...do you mean 7500/7900?

Yes, I did mean the 7500 / 7900. Shouldn't post that late at night... I edited the original post. But since I'm back here, I thought of one thing that is really a killer for the LK-7500. My wife works at a secure facility that doesn't allow any cameras. The 7500, unlike the 7900, doesn't use the seperate clear plastic mount - the tape is directly on the black mount which also contains the GPS, so there is no way (that I know of) to easily remove the camera from the windshield.

Hmmm, wait, there is the knuckle that allows tilting adjustment - maybe the camera portion can be removed at that point, and unplug the short cable from GPS to camera? Don't know, will have to give that a try this afternoon.

John F

Last edited:
@johnf for security reasons I always remove my LK7900 I dont use the clear plastic mount any more (I keep breaking them) instead I use 3M dual lock tape which holds the camera solid and should give me around 1000 applications before I need to replace it. It should work equally well with the 7500 I clip the camera with a slight overlap to the right, it makes it easier to unsnap and remove the camera.....hope this helps Ipol :D

@johnf for security reasons I always remove my LK7900 I dont use the clear plastic mount any more (I keep breaking them) instead I use 3M dual lock tape which holds the camera solid and should give me around 1000 applications before I need to replace it. It should work equally well with the 7500 I clip the camera with a slight overlap to the right, it makes it easier to unsnap and remove the camera.....hope this helps Ipol :D
I assume that is a heavy duty hook & loop (velcro) type product? I'll have to check at Lowes next time I'm there. Thanks, that is a great idea.

Spent some time with my other dash cams, and am becoming less thrilled with my choice of the LK-7500. Specifically, the G1W I got for $52 seems to blow the LK-7500 away in terms of video quality and audio quality. The audio of the G1W is no less than spectacular. I'd love to post 2 pics to demonstrate the difference in quality, but I'm having no luck - if I try to 'upload' it tells me the contents of the file don't match the expansion (jpg) and if I use the 'insert image' option using my host, it simply does nothing other than insert a IMG in brackets. I'll keep trying.

Yeah the Lk-7500 can be taken apart in the knuckle, but its not recomendable as it is hard to get at where i have mounted it at least.

When the knuckle is tight it is allso hard to take apart, and i could imagine it would break over time with frequent use.

Using velcro is what i would do with my Lk-7500G if i had to take it out all the time. ( witch i do not as it is mounted all the time, and my car is CCTV monitored when it is parked in the parking lot behind my Apartment )

Depending how good you is to eyeball it, you can put it back in the car and have it fairly good lined up.
You could fab up a permantly mountet guide " thingie", that way you can use it to guide your cam in place every time you put it back in the car

Lets try uploading again:
Yeah the Lk-7500 can be taken apart in the knuckle, but its not recomendable as it is hard to get at where i have mounted it at least.

When the knuckle is tight it is allso hard to take apart, and i could imagine it would break over time with frequent use.

Using velcro is what i would do with my Lk-7500G if i had to take it out all the time. ( witch i do not as it is mounted all the time, and my car is CCTV monitored when it is parked in the parking lot behind my Apartment )

Depending how good you is to eyeball it, you can put it back in the car and have it fairly good lined up.
You could fab up a permantly mountet guide " thingie", that way you can use it to guide your cam in place every time you put it back in the car
Ah, the heavy duty velcro works great! Don't know how I didn't think of that.

Also, have done much more side-by-side comparison with the 7500 and the G1W, and I was a little harsh on the 7500. Yes, it seems to use excessive contrast (I've gotten best results now with noise reduction and sharpness set to '1') and it is easy to tell that the quality of the lens on the 7500 is superior, especially on the 20% toward edges. Also, the build quality of the G1W is not great - it won't take a lot of handling I'm afraid, we'll see how long before the mount breaks and I wind up with duct tape holding it to whatever I want it stuck to. For the money though, its darn good.

I prefer both of them. As long as I know these are one of the top video cameras sold from Korea.

Glad the velcro/3M tape idea came in handy for you I hope the price was more reasonable than here in france, I paid around 40 usd equivalent for a metre long strip my wallet is still feeling the strain:eek:

Glad the velcro/3M tape idea came in handy for you I hope the price was more reasonable than here in france, I paid around 40 usd equivalent for a metre long strip my wallet is still feeling the strain:eek:

Well, the Velcro was cheap. However, the bottle of French Cabernet Sauvignon I bought last week really dented my wallet!

Ahhhhh now I remember why I moved to france a really good bottle of bordeaux is around 5 to 6 usd ..........paradise

Back