LK-7900 AC25->AC27 update turned camera into brick

cdlu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
LK-7900 ACE
Hi folks,

Yesterday I followed the directions to upgrade my LK-7900 from the AC25 firmware it shipped with to AC27, the latest version on the Lukas website.

The update took about 6 minutes and the reboot was followed with "Err3" on the screen. It then voiced the usual "recording mode started" (I forget the phrasing) and then "Recording failure... three". Rebooting it always had the same result. It did create the DrvInfo folder on the card that was introduced with that version, so it did /try/ to run properly.

I decided to try upgrading it a second time to see if it simply didn't install correctly, so I tried the update again and after 12 hours in 'UPdA' / '....' alternating mode, I called a time of death and now the camera won't boot at all and is, for all intents and purposes, a very expensive paperweight pinned to the top of my windshield.

Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on fixing it? Is there any hope for this device?

I've had it less than two months (purchased from green-sum on ebay in early August). I have emailed Lukas and am waiting for a response.

:( Exact reason why I am reluctant to upgrade mine

Thanks jokiin! green-sum, the authorised ebay vendor I bought it through, has promised a quick a response and I'll post what happens. I hope the magic card in the thread you linked works for me as well.

I also sent Lukas a series of feature requests for future versions of the LK-7900, all of which are achievable in firmware and shouldn't require any hardware changes. I hope they're able to take some of them to heart. :)

Aside from this incident, I absolutely adore this camera and if this problem does get resolved quickly and effectively, I plan to buy a second one for the rear window.

The feature requests, in case anyone is wondering:

- Make the config file plain-text so that options can be set manually from any operating system for the power-user

- Permit X, Y, and Z axis G-load and latitude/longitude to be printed into the video in a line above the date, as an option

- Add an extra field next to the license plate for jurisdiction (two letters is enough for that)

- Make the timezone configurable from the device

- When the car switches from parking mode to driving mode, transfer the last file from parking mode to the always video folder. Otherwise the first video driving is lost as motionvideo usually fills up first, especially if you leave the car parked facing a road or trees moving in the wind.

- Permit the space reserving to be off, so that the entire card can be used, with motionvideo being deleted first

- Allow a loud sound to trigger an eventvideo, not only an impact (for example a horn blast, car door closing, nearby accident when the car is parked that doesn't physically touch the car)

*edit -- I'd also have the elevation as an available option to print with G-load and lat/long

Last edited:
While they're promising help, they're insisting on a video showing the problem. The 13-hour time difference is making the conversation very very slow. Updates to follow.

Lukas Ac29 and new viewer are now available for downloading LK7900ACE 01/10/2013 Regards Ipol

Thanks Ipol! Yep, I saw that. I hope when I get this camera fixed I can have it go straight to Ac29. Right now it's too broken to do the upgrade -- it doesn't physically turn on.

Do you know if green-sum sells his cameras with the latest firmware? If I buy a second one will it have 23, 25, 27, or 29?

@ cdlu requesting a video is normal it helps lukas to fully understand and rectify the problems as quickly as possible. I usually compress mine and send them via dropbox. Regards to all Ipol

Ihave never dealt with greensum so I am not able tosay if he is able to update his present stock or not.He is based in the same city as lukas you could perhaps email him to ask which firmware he has before you place an order

my server is playing up this evening so if you dont get any more replies its the PC down and not me being rude ohhh the smilies dont seem to be working

Video sent. Day 5. Let's see if I have a working camera by weekend.

5 days and several emails after writing to tell them that a firmware upgrade killed my camera, they write back :

Hello, this is Green-Sum, the eBay seller.
First of all, we are deeply sorry for your inconvenience. We will make our best efforts to support you.

The most suspicious problem is firmware fail during upgrading. To make sure, we forwarded the videos to the manufacturer. As soon as we receive an answer from them, we will let you know. We will definitely solve the problem, so please do not worry about it too much.

Please let us know if you have additional questions or issue. Again, sorry for your inconvenience.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Green-Sum

PS: Tomorrow is the National Foundation Day of Korea, which is one of national holidays. So our reponse might be delayed. Please understand it.

- green-sum

*eyeroll*

A week in and still no solution proposed. I thought Lukas had amazing customer service?

They do but you are conversing via greensum who is a dealer and not with lukas direct......I didnt buy my LK7900 through greensum as I was not keen on his marketing technique. Back in my older posts I explained why.....try contacting lukas direct. Regards Ipol

I wrote to Lukas first. Two emails. Zero response.

Now it's weekend in Korea again.

A week in and still no solution proposed. I thought Lukas had amazing customer service?

I downloaded and installed AC29, which is newly released. So try this.
Download the new firmware from the Lukas site, ( it has 3 separate files ), and keep them on your computer for now.
Format the SD card in the camera (NOT ON THE VIEWER ) ( hold both buttons on bottom of camera until the message says that it is now in the format mode, then it will tell you to press the left button to format the SD card ) .
Then remove the SD card and copy and paste the 3 files at the same time, onto the SD card that you downloaded from the Lukas site.
Turn the camera on , with no SD card inserted, until it gives you the error message that no SD card is installed, then insert the SD card that you installed the 3 files too.
And hopefully it will format the card with the new firmware , and you should be up and running again.
Also download and install the newly released viewer ( uninstall the old viewer first before installing the new one ), then check your settings on the new viewer, and make sure they are to your liking, or else modify them if required, and save.

Not a very helpful solution; the camera doesn't turn on at all as the name of the thread says. It's dead. A brick. Its firmware needs to be reflashed but it can no longer do it on its own.

Lukas wants me to mail the camera back to Korea to be repaired or replaced. No magic card for me it seems.

Hi,

I understand your frustration!

I should not tell you this..... but I cannot stop myself!

I just attempted to upgrade my 7900 to AC29, AND I BRICKED IT AGAIN! No lights, no UPDA, nothing!, dead as Monty Python's parrot. I was using a 32Gb HDXC card and I don't think the 7900 liked it.

So I dug the magic card out of the safe place I had it squirreled away, and used it as per instructions and lo, unbricked it in two minutes.

Found another SDcard, the original 8GB Lukas card supplied with the camera, put the AC29 update files on it and updated to AC29 no problem.

I will have another go at copying this card, and if I succeed I will make it available to you.

cheers

Patrick

Back