LK 7900 ACE - Hard Wiring.

BugCam

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
Lucas LK-7900 Ace, 808 #18 DR32
I want to hard wire my LK7900, can I just cut off the plug and use a DPST switch to connect it or does the plug have some intelligence in it?

Arthur

BugCam said:
I want to hard wire my LK7900, can I just cut off the plug and use a DPST switch to connect it or does the plug have some intelligence in it?

Arthur

You can as long as you know the basics which it seems you do. Nothing special. Simple stitching. I simply pull the cable out of the cig lighter and plug it in when needed.

Al Drake said:
BugCam said:

Arthur

You can as long as you know the basics which it seems you do. Nothing special. Simple stitching. I simply pull the cable out of the cig lighter and plug it in when needed.

I know this is not the easiest solution but it will free up one of my outlets and this camera will be mounted permanently in this car.Other stuff like navigation, phone/iPad chargers just hop from car to car and will use up outlets.

BugCam said:
Al Drake said:
BugCam said:

Arthur

I know this is not the easiest solution but it will free up one of my outlets and this camera will be mounted permanently in this car.Other stuff like navigation, phone/iPad chargers just hop from car to car and will use up outlets.

Where will you mount the switch? I was thinking of mounting a junction box with plugs for my devices instead of using the cigarette lighter octopus I have attached to the top of my ash tray. I have two Lukas cameras a GPS, radar detector and monitor all plugged in at the same time.

I have mine hard wired into the rearview mirror in my GM vehicle. Extremely easy to do, cut cord, solder skinny pins and fuse, piggyback off plug on back of mirror, it's that simple. I have an "Onstar" mirror so some slots on the plug are "key on" some are "key off". I have the Lukas, my valentine and my garmin all wired to the mirror with no issues, they must not draw that much power, never had an issue running the battery down . The Garmin took slightly more modification to the cord because it runs on USB voltage. There is a company called invisicord that sells the cords if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself but it's really simple. take a look at the invisicord website for pictures.

user_unknown said:
I have mine hard wired into the rearview mirror in my GM vehicle. Extremely easy to do, cut cord, solder skinny pins and fuse, piggyback off plug on back of mirror, it's that simple. I have an "Onstar" mirror so some slots on the plug are "key on" some are "key off". I have the Lukas, my valentine and my garmin all wired to the mirror with no issues, they must not draw that much power, never had an issue running the battery down . The Garmin took slightly more modification to the cord because it runs on USB voltage. There is a company called invisicord that sells the cords if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself but it's really simple. take a look at the invisicord website for pictures.

Thanks. I will look at that site. How do you run the wires down from the mirror? Do they show or are they hidden?

I would think the wires are hidden if they are hooked under the ceiling fabric to the onstar stuff - probably no more than 6 inches. I'm going to look into that for my radar detector. I'm tired of looking at the hanging coiled wire :)

Al Drake said:
user_unknown said:

Thanks. I will look at that site. How do you run the wires down from the mirror? Do they show or are they hidden?

The wires don't show at all, the lukas is mounted directly in front of the mirror, I cut the wire exactly the perfect length, also i think i wrapped it around the mirror stem once just to make sure it doesn't sag in the future. The onstar/power plug is on the back side of the mirror, although I have seen some people wire it into the ceiling above the mirror, I think that is unnecessary.

Hitec said:
I would think the wires are hidden if they are hooked under the ceiling fabric to the onstar stuff - probably no more than 6 inches. I'm going to look into that for my radar detector. I'm tired of looking at the hanging coiled wire :)

What are you running for an RD?

Back