LK-7900 ACE Which monitor to adjust the camera angle.

sundash

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Dash Cam: Lukas LK-7900 ACE; 808 #26
LK-7900 ACE Which monitor to adjust the camera angle.

I have a question for the owners of Dash Cam with which they monitor to adjust the camera if the camera does not have a monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car DVD player might be a good idea.
Often have av in, battery , car lead.
Always on offer too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thinking of this to align it, barely more money than a 7" Tft (around £20 with shipping) but this has a battery so setting up the cam should take no time.

http://is.gd/wDYSLR

Baby might like it for cartoons in the car too...

I am not sure if you can use a DVD player as a display (monitor) because the players usually have only AV Out, not AV In.

Just for adjusting the camera angle I will not buy a monitor even it is just $20. I can adjust it without a LCD monitor. By testing, in few minutes. Will be more quickly than wait few weeks for some display to arrive.

I have something like a display but which have also the recording feature with its own camera or recording from the AV in, called AV25 but I have it for another usage like this.

The DVD has av in, its common be cause people want to use games consoles or reversing camera with them.. Halfords I would get it before the camera!

Will check out the av25

Could be tricky to align with no monitor?
If I can do it well without I could save some money...

Yes is very simple. The most important thing is to find the right place, in the most upper position of the windshield, the camera to be hidden as possible, like here.
Try to find a good horizontal position and then the vertical one just looking at the camera.
Then start the camera recording from that position and adjust is vertically saying with your voice words like: down 1, down 2, down r... up 1, up 2, up3... when you modify the vertical position.
Then stop the recording and put the card in some PC, player, smartphone and test the video with the audio. You will see and listen your voice. When making another test is very possible to obtain your needed position.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thank you. Good suggestions.

Decided to save money and buy nothing, if I want to line up with a live view I can always do it with a big TV next to the car :)

I use my 3-year-old Archos 5 IT+DVR to adjust the camera angle and use the pair of windscreen squirter on the hood as a reference to straighten the picture.

A monitor you need to adjust the CPL filter. It will not happen or has anyone a better idea?

sundash said:
A monitor you need to adjust the CPL filter. It will not happen or has anyone a better idea?

There is one other way that may prove handy if you don't have access to a monitor while driving. Some circular polarizing filters have a mark indicating an extreme position which can be used for alignment. For those that don't have this mark some can be etched in place allowing timing of the lens but a monitor or DSLR must be used at least one time. A camcorder or even a computer can also be used if the PC has a video in device. It might be a bit difficult to see the marks once the dash cam is installed but it is doable.

It is very easy to install - find something horizontal and use it for reference and mount parallel to it - i used the black surround of my rear view mirror -

IMG_0607 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

the mount/base allows for a small amount of rotation after its been mounted (5 degrees each direction - which is more than enough) and the camera allows for plenty of up and down motion with an allen wrench

IMG_0616 by destron_n9ne, on Flickr

if you need a monitor, find a monitor that supports RCA and then a 3.5mm jack to RCA connector (link below)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GRM114/

Thanks for the info I will use a horizontal reference as you suggest.

Just need the car to arrive now :)

Back