LK-7900 suction cup mount?

KosmicGurl

Reaction score
Has anyone tried modifying their LK7900 to work with a suction cup mount? I want to use this camera in work cars and as such need to be able to set up and remove it every day. Any ideas?

@KosmicGurl I have been experimenting with a suction mount for a while but find I am getting a lot of camera shake at the moment....so its still a case of trial and error ..... we will get there eventually I cannibalised an old universal phone holder coupled with a suction mount but the fixing point is too small hence the camera shake.....I am in the process of glueing a piece of plastic the same size as the the clear cam bracket to the suction mount then will attach the bracket and hope that solves the problem .......this time I will use stronger glue .......one thing though dont use any glue on the clear cam bracket use the supplied double sided tape for any final fixing good luck......Ipol

KosmicGurl said:
Has anyone tried modifying their LK7900 to work with a suction cup mount? I want to use this camera in work cars and as such need to be able to set up and remove it every day. Any ideas?

I would try using Velcro leaving enough overlap to be able to get a good grip to enable removal. Maybe even cutting a small flap of plastic like a zipper tongue on the piece that is attacked to the camera mount and bond it with a good cement. It would be important to make sure the area on the windshield is clean and free of grease. Use a strong alcohol or nail polish remover to clean the glass. That should be kept from making contact with any plastic as it would behave badly. The Velcro would replace the supplied mounting material completely.

Agree but use 3M dual lock VHB instead of standard velcro

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I another thread a user reports using 3M All Weather Fasteners. Is that the best method so far?

I own a Lukas LK7900 ACE and LK530. I like the products except for one thing. I find that the mounting hardware is very bad.

I installed the LK7900 on our Toyota Prius, but when I removed the LK7900 to check something the clear plastic piece that attached to the windshield broke. I have put the LK7900 back in place, but I fear that is not a long therm solution.

I plan to buy another dashcam/blackbox for our Mazda and I would like to consider the LK7900 again, but I am afraid I will have the same problem.

We have a third vehicle, a Nissan XTrail. The two dashcams will be moved among these three vehicles. With the current LK7900 mounting hardware, I am sure we would have many problems quickly with broken mounting hardware.

Until (unless?) Lukas provides a superior mounting system, I wonder weather the 3M All Weather Fastener is the best option.

@ MexiCanuck Yes 3M fastener seem like the way to go, somewhere in one of the posts is a link to a 3M site with what seems like an ideal solution I will try and see if I can locate it and post it in the forum Hi Jazzist havent seen you on for a while.I am currently waiting for the european release of the lukas 7500 FHD REAL OBD2 but it might be a little way off yet.Specifications are close to the 7900lk but it has a different mounting bracket.I think it might be the same bracket as the 7500 CUTY.......I have seen video footage of the camera which is already on release in korea, I think on what I have seen that I will be buying one.....Regards Ipol

it is in DIY PROJECTS forum under Magnetic options to 3mtape just scroll down to the post with the 3mlink.....Ipol

Ipol said:
it is in DIY PROJECTS forum under Magnetic options to 3mtape just scroll down to the post with the 3mlink.....Ipol

All in all I think it would save much time and trouble to simply install additional LUKAS mounts in each car. I have several just for spares or if I decide to install one of my LK-7900 cameras in another vehicle. I plan on taking one on vacation to Jamaica next month.

Except that the Lukas mounts break rather easily :(

jamesbcd said:
Except that the Lukas mounts break rather easily :(

Only until you get used to the way they work. It takes a twist just before you finally have the camera out.

I've been trying a few alternative mounting solutions. Using an old mirror mount at the moment (GPS is blocked and sketchy at best -- partially being sort of buried in the mirror hardware and partly because I have the base angled the opposite way. Just put together a Ram mount from components.

To attach to all these I've been using heavy duty zip ties. Where the holes are on the mount determines how I zip tie around the base or hinge. No glue or 3m to deal with or come loose and it's super easy to change it or try something different -- I've got hundreds of zip ties laying around. So if you have a mount with a removable base see if you can attach the device part to the Lukas with zip ties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a dash/bean bag akron mount for a smart phone. Plan to try putting the dual lock 3m fasteners on that .. I can always cut the smartphone mount area down to a small square to fit the velcro/dual lock tape and hang the lukas from that. It has a pivot so it should bend down enough to be able to get the angle on the gps/mounting area of the lukas. I hope it won't be too shakey.

Back