LK9700 type D as type B?

cdlu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
LK-7900 ACE
Is it possible to use an LK-9700 type D (with OBDII) as a type B (without OBDII)? Is the firmware interchangeable?

My car, a Subaru, is not compatible with the OBD II functionality. As a result, the camera has a warning that OBD is not connected, and then goes into parking mode. It won't read either the GPS mounted in the base or the GPS attached via the OBD, and does not pick up the fact that the car is driving from the accelerometers as the LK-7900 does (which I have in my other car).

The 9700 is a great camera in theory, but in practice is turning out to be a headache.

Any advice?

@ cdlu as suggested by jokiin your best bet is to contact lukas......I had the same problem my car would not recognize the OBD2 its a mitsubishi space star In the end I asked them to send the LK9700 B type which like the LK7900 ACE has the GPS built in Unfortunately the camera arrived faulty so after 3 faulty cameras 2 LK9700 D type 1 LK9700 B type Lukas have kindly offered to send the LK9750 full HD front and rear( Its not yet on general release for the european market) It departed korea airport 27/28 th january Looking forward to getting my hands on it.......Email contact for lukas is mjyoon@qrontech.com Ipol ps I also have the LK7900 ace so far it has not let me down UPDATE camera arrived at Charles de Gaulle airport around 14.30 yesterday afternoon

Last edited:
Head up firmware version 5.3.5 released 27/01/2015 for several lukas models .......Ipol

Hey all well the LK9750 arrived around 12.20 today going to install it tomorrow....the weather is foul today I need to take my time and get it right......Will update on the progress......Ipol

Lukas never responded; does anyone know if "upgrading" an LK9700 type D with type B firmware (mine mysteriously has the internal GPS) will work, or if it will brick the camera?

Thanks!

Dont expect Lukas to respond. I'd suggest contacting the seller where you bought the dashcam. The last thin you want to do is brick the device and then they void the warranty. Otherwise, file a dispute with your credit card company for defective item.

OK, good news for anyone else who gets an LK-9700 Type D that is not in any way compatible with their car's OBDII setup. I loaded the Type B firmware on the ostensibly Type D camera and, as I suspected from the hardware being identical and the firmware coming in two parts (common base operating system, and Type B/D specific files) the camera seems to be working normally as a Type B camera now, which means you don't need to send it back and trade it in for a B. OBDII is now simply greyed out in the configuration. If Lukas includes Subaru support in their Type D then I should be able to simply change the firmware back to a Type D when the time comes. This is made possible by my particular Type D camera including the GPS in the base, which I understand is not always the case. This suggests that Lukas manufacturers the cameras all identically, and decides after the fact whether the particular unit will be Type B or Type D.

I would be interested to know if an LK7900 ACE could be converted to an OBD system using the same hack. With the 7900 (AC 23) unbrick image posted here a couple of years ago it should be relatively safe to experiment, but lacking a Lukas OBD-compatible car I won't be the first to try.

Hey all well the LK9750 arrived around 12.20 today going to install it tomorrow....the weather is foul today I need to take my time and get it right......Will update on the progress......Ipol

Hi, just saw you've got the new lukas 9750 a few days after I got mine. How you getting on with it?? As it's so new not many comments on this forum yet about it.
Myself and my girlfriend both had one each hard wired in our cars and we're getting error 3 recording message.
Just wondered if you are too?
Thanks

Back