Lock/Save clip button rarely works?

PirateJoshua

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a G1W-C from SpyTec and the lock/save clip button shows a lock when pressed, but when I went to get the footage off the camera it only saved one clip from days prior. I "saved" 10 clips on the way home that night, and none of them were protected.

Anyone else have that issue? Is it an issue with SpyTec firmware? What firmware would you recommend I flash?

I had a G1W-S from VIOFO (returned it due to quality issues) and it saved every clip properly. In fact, it moved clips to a separate folder, while the SpyTec just puts "SO" in front of the file name.

yep, my old G1W-c was exactly the same. It's likely that the one protected file you do have was from the G-sensor being triggered as you went to press the button and not from the actual button press

Key appeared on the screen every time but the file never "actually" got protected.

The G1W-c takes firmware from other dashcams, you could try a different firmware? Unfortunately I broke my cam before trying different firmware so I can't say if any other versions will fix the issue, especially as some different firmwares actually change the functionality of some of the buttons (for example the firmware for the DOD LS388W firmware will work on your cam but buttons will do different things)

I flashed DA380 firmware (G1W-H firmware) to my G1W-C and it works now. I can lock/save clips (using the "mode" button) and it moves them into a separate folder.

I was going to try the LS388W but read that it has issues with exposure. I don't know how well DA380 holds up, but it did fix the locking issue. I will write back if there's any issues with this firmware.

Guessing it's kept all the rest of the button functions the same then?

Nope.

Top right button is record/select.

Mode button is open/close menu.

Record button is lock clip

Power is power.

A bit strange, but at least I can save clips now!

I went to get in my car today and noticed my dashcam reset itself to factory settings. However, the time was still correct. So it's super strange that it reverted to default but left the time untouched.

I will play with it more. Also I flashed this firmware on a second dashcam and will be seeing if the problem occurs there.

I went to get in my car today and noticed my dashcam reset itself to factory settings. However, the time was still correct. So it's super strange that it reverted to default but left the time untouched.
The firmware reset happened because the DA380 firmware is for battery cameras and the G1W-C is a capacitor camera. The DA 380 firmware is programmed to manage a "slower" shutdown because the battery has more power than the capacitor to allow a proper shutdown when you cut the external power. Since the capacitor's charge doesn't power the camera long enough for the firmware to shutdown properly it probably resets itself to default.
The time and date are correct because the capacitor cameras have a small RTC battery to keep those settings when the camera is off.

Back