Long wait for GPS lock on X2PRO+

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a small battery or something that needs to be replaced to keep lost recent GPS positioning info for a quick warm lock, or something along those lines?

My install has been solid for a long time, with the GPS antenna off on its own in the corner of the windshield of my 2011 F250, behind non-metallic ceramic 70% tint and a layer of 5% for the eyebrow strip. The cam near the rear view mirror. I park outside, with no obstructions. The truck isn’t driven every day, but even after sitting and idling for a while to cool the truck down while I’m loading it up to leave, I’ve noticed lately that the GPS is red and stays red for a long time. How long I don’t know, as I haven’t tried checking every 30 seconds while driving, nor have I pulled video to try to track it that way. It will eventually turn green, but in the past it’s always been pretty quick.

Any suggestions on what to look for or how to address it? I think I have a spare GPS antenna in a drawer somewhere, but I wouldn’t think the antenna itself has gone bad since it does work, just not quickly.

I’d go ahead and swap in the new gps if you have one. No repair option if something is wrong.

Last edited:
I’d go ahead and swap in the new gps if you have one. No repair option is something is wrong.
I do have it hardwired with the parking mode kit, meaning it gets constant power (literally wired directly to one of the two batteries in my case), though I think I have it set to record only out to 4 hours or so, I forget.

In going through the videos I just saw that it thought it was January 1, 2019, and it took right at 20 minutes and 45 seconds after startup to grab a GPS lock. Even then it was a little sketchy, switching the speed readout to dashes and back again sometimes, even when stopped and parked in the middle of an empty field, and another time stopped at a gas station it acted like it thought I was driving away up to 11 mph and such.

I’ll try replacing the GPS antenna if I can find the spare, but that’s frustrating because it’s 3M-adhered to the tint with no bracket to allow for quick replacement. Oh well, today is truck project day anyway.

I had a dud antenna in a brand new camera back in the day,,,,, even a SG camera, no sweat though i just put on a older SG antenna and i was good to go.

I tried the old antenna I had from another install, I think from a SG9665GC. No lock at all, even after several hours, much of it stationary. And yes, the plug was seated all the way into the jack—been burned by that before.

Send a private message or email with your details and order number. I’ll confirm warranty or replacement options.

Back