Longer USB Charging cable for A119

mazinger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The fuse panel is located at the trunk and I need a longer charger cable for the A119.

The existing charging cable that comes with the A119 is about 10 feet, does anyone here know where to buy and has no problem with the amp drop or screen flickering to the dash cam due to the extra length ?

I have a 15 feet micro USB cable from monoprice but the screen flicks and cannot save files after connected.

I need about 12 to 13 feet long cable.

Thanks.

The fuse panel is located at the trunk and I need a longer charger cable for the A119.

The existing charging cable that comes with the A119 is about 10 feet, does anyone here know where to buy and has no problem with the amp drop or screen flickering to the dash cam due to the extra length ?

I have a 15 feet micro USB cable from monoprice but the screen flicks and cannot save files after connected.

I need about 12 to 13 feet long cable.

Thanks.
Might be better off extending the power cables (+ and - leads) off the hardwire kit to the fuse panel.

Might be better off extending the power cables (+ and - leads) off the hardwire kit to the fuse panel.

Yes, this is my first consideration. However, the connection between the USB and the provided car adapter are still cannot reach to the end of the rear seats. I need a little bit longer wire so that the car adapter can reach behind the rear strut area behind the lining.

I am connecting the wires to the cigarette fuse.

The car is the Audi Q5. I am routing from the rear mirror from the windshield to the headliner, then to the A pillar and all the way back to the back of the rear seats.

The one that I have is from Monoprice as well but it is "Monoprice 15ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable"

Is something wrong with this cable?

The one that I have is from Monoprice as well but it is "Monoprice 15ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable"

Is something wrong with this cable?

Nothing is wrong with your cable and Monoprice cables are excellent. I use them exclusively. Since you say you are having problems with a current drop over a longer 15 ft. run of cable I am suggesting you might be able to fix your problem with the 24 AWG version of the cable because 24 gauge is a thicker wire that is better able to transmit power over the longer distance.

Nothing is wrong with your cable and Monoprice cables are excellent. I use them exclusively. Since you say you are having problems with a current drop over a longer 15 ft. run of cable I am suggesting you might be able to fix your problem with the 24 AWG version of the cable because 24 gauge is a thicker wire that is better able to transmit power over the longer distance.

You think I should try the 28/24 AWG cable? The pure 24AWG cable does not exist.

Or can I use the USB extension cable to solve the problem?

You think I should try the 28/24 AWG cable? The pure 24AWG cable does not exist.

On the 28/24 AWG cable the 28AWG wires are for data and the 24AWG wires are your power. If your screen is flickering then you are not getting enough current to the camera and the 24 AWG cable should help your problem.

For the minimal cost involved it would be worth a try.

I think it might be best to avoid using any extension cables if possible and instead go for a single run of wire.

On the 28/24 AWG cable the 28AWG wires are for data and the 24AWG wires are your power. If your screen is flickering then you are not getting enough current to the camera and the 24 AWG cable should help your problem.

For the minimal cost involved it would be worth a try.

I think it might be best to avoid using any extension cables if possible and instead go for a single run of wire.

Thanks. I learnt something here now.

Thanks. I learnt something here now.

BTW, just keep in mind that the 28/24 AWG cable is thicker and slightly less flexible and therefore a bit more challenging to run or hide than the 28/28 cable. Also, it has an integrated ferrite bead which also will need to be accommodated (the ferrite bead will reduce RF noise and can be an excellent thing to have)

"The intention of USB is to make sure any standard-compliant cable can be used to connect any two compatible devices, and the connection will work, without question. To this end, the USB standard limits the maximum length of any compliant (and thus logo-bearing) USB cable (to about 15 feet), and up to this length, users are expected to buy a longer cable rather than extending a shorter one they already have. For a longer cable length, a USB hub is required."
from here:
extension cables not recommended. :)

"The intention of USB is to make sure any standard-compliant cable can be used to connect any two compatible devices, and the connection will work, without question. To this end, the USB standard limits the maximum length of any compliant (and thus logo-bearing) USB cable (to about 15 feet), and up to this length, users are expected to buy a longer cable rather than extending a shorter one they already have. For a longer cable length, a USB hub is required."
from here:
extension cables not recommended. :)

Yes, I agree completely but it is important in this instance to note that the 15 foot USB compliance standard is related to the data transfer functionality of USB cables whereas the issue here has to do with the amount of current the cable can transmit. A USB cable of the correct wire gauge "should" be able to work over a longer distance than 15 ft. to transmit 5V DC power even if it can't work to transmit data. For most dash cams like the A119 you don't need (and often don't want) the data functionality of the USB cables because in some instances with certain power supplies it can make the camera think it is connected to a computer and go into Mass Storage mode. For example, with one of my cameras I've needed to cut the data wires on a 15 ft. USB cable in order to get it to work with one of my power banks otherwise the camera just goes into standby.

Last edited:
agree.
I would prefer a "power only" USB cable for a dash cam in a car. I currently use the one that came with a camera and it's about 2-3ft shorter from what I need. I need at least 12ft to 15ft cable. will go back to 15ft from monoprice.

agree.
I would prefer a "power only" USB cable for a dash cam in a car. I currently use the one that came with a camera and it's about 2-3ft shorter from what I need. I need at least 12ft to 15ft cable. will go back to 15ft from monoprice.

Monoprice definitely sells the best quality USB cables for the money. The one I modified by cutting the data wires is a 15 footer from Monoprice. It is not all that hard to do if you don't want the data connection. Some heat shrink tubing and you hardly even notice the modification.

The trick is to leave the cable under the sun for about 20mins and it will become much more pliable. I find the thicker cable fits more snug in the head liner channel.

Just found the cable in Amazon. Quick question, can the big plastic piece (Ferrite core) behind the micro-usb cable end remove? Is this piece mandatory?

Back