Looking back at snowy drive home in high speed

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
A drive home last week was complicated a little with snow. Here is the video of the trip from mostly from the rear window, mostly at high speed. The final scene at high speed after a scene with a U turn behind me at normal scene; 1 hr 21 minutes and 13 seconds becomes 1 minutes and 37 seconds.

I did the video to see if I could mix images from front and rear camera at different speeds with ffmpegs concat option. Because my front camera (a119) and rear (a118c2) have different codec and file extensions, it does take a little effort to get to files from both cameras to work ffmpeg's concat option. However, ffmpeg speed option changes the encoding from the native format and therefore by running the speed option on files recorded with my 119 and 118c2, end up being consistent and therefore use able with concat.

MOV are from the 118c2 and MP4's are from a119
Code:
ffmpeg -y -i 000.MOV -filter:v setpts=0.02*PTS -an output/000.mp4
ffmpeg -y -i 001.MP4 -filter:v setpts=1.00*PTS -an output/001.mp4
ffmpeg -y -i 002.MOV -filter:v setpts=1.00*PTS -an output/002.mp4
ffmpeg -y -i 003.MP4 -filter:v setpts=1.00*PTS -an output/003.mp4
ffmpeg -y -i 004.MOV -filter:v setpts=0.02*PTS -an output/004.mp4
Both become "mp4"s, some without speed change (1.00*PTs) and others speed up significantly.

Sadly Youtube destroys the quality of some of the high speed stuff.

Enjoy, my 2hr 20 minute (normally 45 minutes) drive home at 1 and half minutes.

Last edited:
I have never tried to rescale a compressed video to 4K, but doing that for regular 1080p recordings often alleviate most of youtubes messing up the recording.

Will have to give that a try next time i have my hands on a memory card from the car.

Not sure where the problem is, I have uploaded videos from my A118c and A119 before but they never turned out as bad as this. Once with the A119 there was a license plate directly infront of me which was NOT readable when it was uploaded to youtube but otherwise it been ok.. This first time used FFmpegs speed option and its essentially at 50 times speed. I think the problem may be directly using FFmpeg without goiing thru kdenlive. There are a few webpages on re-encoding for youtube, perhaps I should look at that.

Back