Canada
Hey all,

Looking for 2 cameras (capacitors).

What do you recommend?

Thanks

For Uber drive?

We could do with more information!

I'll start with the Viofo A129.

What price range and camera features are you looking for? It's a long way between a basic cam at ~$70 and a fancy one with extras at ~$500+.

Phil

I think you should tell us a little more information.such as price,resolution,use in your own car or taxi and so on.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of info.

It's for my own personal car. Basic cameras are fine, I'd prefer a simple set it & forget it type of deal. I have USB cables hardwired to the car already. I have an old mobius from 2015, but I ran into the odd problem with that - wouldn't auto record, etc. I think I flashed the wrong bios to it - doesn't boot up anymore. Other one blew up (battery expanded). Has the car cam tech changed in the last 4 years?

Budget up to $100 per camera

Capacitor
Wifi would be a nice bonus, to view the video, manage settings?
Auto record a must have. Record while parked would be nice.

A dashcam are not set and forget, at least not set and forget PERIOD

You will be wise to look over the footage now and then to make sure the camera have recorded your drives as you remember them ( drive sessions start end where expected ) with a dual camera for which i recommend a 128 GB memory card this inspection of file integrity ( not every single file on mamory card ) will take no more than 10 minutes on the computer, and should be done every 2-3 months to be on the safe side.

Low light performance are a lot better now thanks to the Sony IMX 291 sensors, resolution are still 1080p for most cameras, a few are 4K but are not worth it at the time.

Your budget will restrict you. For $200 CAD you won’t find the nicer features like parking and wifi.

In my one vehicle I have the Aukey DR02D which is around $180 CAD off amazon. It works good enough but is very basic. At that price you don’t get GPS.

The Viofo A129 duo runs around $230 CAD and does have a Wi-Fi app and GPS built in.

Either way you are pretty limited to features due to budget.

GPS are nice and i prefer it, but in a pinch speed cam always be determined from the video footage itself, so not a absolute must have.
wifi i find are a gimmick at the moment, i would prefer a camera with a LCD screen ( which don't really have anything to say in regard to the size of cameras ) wifi on my phone are always off.
Doing a inspection of file integrity via wifi i think will be next to impossible, or at least far from as pleasant and fast as it is on the PC.

GPS are nice and i prefer it, but in a pinch speed cam always be determined from the video footage itself, so not a absolute must have.
wifi i find are a gimmick at the moment, i would prefer a camera with a LCD screen ( which don't really have anything to say in regard to the size of cameras ) wifi on my phone are always off.
Doing a inspection of file integrity via wifi i think will be next to impossible, or at least far from as pleasant and fast as it is on the PC.

I have the BlackVue 900S in my other vehicle. Super super easy to connect to wifi and inspect video. Zero issues.

Hehe yeah my intense wifi & phone hate are probably blocking me, if it wasent for my dear old sick mother i would not be having a phone that's for sure.
I just cant imaging browsing thru a buttload of video segments can be that easy on a phone, i know trying that with pictures on my phone are a real pain for me.

Wifi and parking mode are must haves. I can up my budget if need be. I’m from Canada, but can shop in the USA / online as well.

From my understanding, if I have a wifi camera I can log in to view the recorded data?, can I also watch the camera live via wifi? Say I’m in the house and the car is parked near by?

Thanks

Wifi and parking mode are must haves. I can up my budget if need be. I’m from Canada, but can shop in the USA / online as well.

From my understanding, if I have a wifi camera I can log in to view the recorded data?, can I also watch the camera live via wifi? Say I’m in the house and the car is parked near by?

Thanks
Yes, although the range is only about 10m at best for most wifi cameras so the car has to be parked next to the house, not down the street.

Is the Viofo A129 dual camera in budget?

The Viofo A129 is an option, it includes 2 cameras right?

Has anyone ever used a 360 degree camera for a car?

The Viofo A129 is an option, it includes 2 cameras right?

Has anyone ever used a 360 degree camera for a car?
The A129 Duo has 2 cameras, but make sure it is a Duo you are buying.

360 cameras don't have enough resolution unless they have 8K output, and then they don't work well in the dark!
Much better to have 4 1080 cameras, or 1 4K for the front and 3 1080 for rear and sides.

A129 Duo for the win (y) Best vids, great features which actually work, great parking modes, and with Mobius in your background you'll be amazed at the night-time footage too. Mobius should be fixable and would do for a side cam; upgrade those to caps and reinstall the firmware should do the trick.

Alternately a pair of B1W's, but daytime vids are lesser than Mobius with night-time better. Not sure if the wifi will DL more than a real-time snapshot as the app never fully worked with my tablet which is my only Android device.

Phil

Thanks guys, I'm going to keep my eyes open for a sale with the Viofo A129 Duo. It's $229 Canadian right now, has been about $30 cheaper before.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of info.

It's for my own personal car. Basic cameras are fine, I'd prefer a simple set it & forget it type of deal. I have USB cables hardwired to the car already. I have an old mobius from 2015, but I ran into the odd problem with that - wouldn't auto record, etc. I think I flashed the wrong bios to it - doesn't boot up anymore. Other one blew up (battery expanded). Has the car cam tech changed in the last 4 years?

Budget up to $100 per camera

Capacitor
Wifi would be a nice bonus, to view the video, manage settings?
Auto record a must have. Record while parked would be nice.

Did you consider Thinkware?
I just installed an FA200. It's nice, and it fits your criteria.

Thanks

Afaik, there is only 1 brand that has "log into camera to watch live video" -- BlackVue. And, that's on only 2 of their models (the DR750 and DR900).

BlackVue and Thinkware have a feature that will send a notification to your phone if an event was detected.

Generally, a WiFi-enabled unit merely allows you to view the video files, set configuration, and aim the camera (for those that don't have a screen). Note that you need to activate that feature on the unit (by pressing a button); your smartphone will then connect to it. When finished, you press the button again to turn it off. So, it's meant for use inside (or next to) the vehicle.

Did you consider Thinkware?
I just installed an FA200. It's nice, and it fits your criteria.

Afaik, there is only 1 brand that has "log into camera to watch live video" -- BlackVue. And, that's on only 2 of their models (the DR750 and DR900).

BlackVue and Thinkware have a feature that will send a notification to your phone if an event was detected.

Generally, a WiFi-enabled unit merely allows you to view the video files, set configuration, and aim the camera (for those that don't have a screen). Note that you need to activate that feature on the unit (by pressing a button); your smartphone will then connect to it. When finished, you press the button again to turn it off. So, it's meant for use inside (or next to) the vehicle.

Hey, I’ll check out the camera you recommended.

The Viofo A129 does support live view, and the ability to view recorded data all via wifi. I watched a review video on youtube. This is a must have feature for me

If I have the Viofo A129 hardwired to the battery of my car, do I need anything else, besides the
VIOFO A129 Hardwire Kit?

I'll probably pay a company to wire it to my power regulator.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B07JQ1JYPJ

Back