Looking for a 3 channel camera, special configuration

VanKo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m looking for a 3 channel camera: front, rear(waterproof), and cabin. However, I want the cabin camera pointed straight at me with a view of my driver’s window. This is for the purpose of recording any traffic stops from inside the vehicle. None of the cameras need to be 4K. The system needs to run on capacitor and not battery power. I’m looking at the Rexing S1 but can not use it for this purpose without modifying the camera itself (switching the cameras around). Any ideas?

3 channel cameras are still pretty scarce, and nothing can do what you ask.
your best option would be to get a dual camera system where there is a option for using the normally rear camera as a cabin camera on a wire, this will allow for you to put it on the passenger side A pillar aimed at you in the driver seat.
A cabin camera must have IR light aid, and B&W footage for night mode, at least if you are on a dark highway or something, in a urban area with some ambient light you might be able to make do with a good color camera with good low light performance.
Some cabin cameras dont have true IR mode, so the camera dont have a IR cut filter meaning daylight footage have washed out colors as there are high levels on IR light, and night time the camera do not change to B&W mode, so it is still color so tend to have a magenta hue.

You are then out one rear camera, but you can put any single channel camera back there, only downside is you have 2 memory cards to manage.

Viofo have a IR aided camera for some of their Dual models, as i recall this is a true cabin camera with active IR cut filter and B&W night mode.

Some 2 in 1 dual cameras like the B2W you can turn either lens towards the side windows, this model also have true IR aided #2 camera.

Last edited:
Only a scarce few 3-channel cams out there, and none are doing things as well as most folks want :( That will be changing as more cams soon enter this market but only time and testing will show if they are doing better. Right now I'd recommend a 2-channel cam with another cam (1 or 2 channels) filling in the rest. There's several of those with most of the bugs worked out and some will do better vids than the 3-channel ones ;)

Phil

Reactions: EGS
I’m looking for a 3 channel camera: front, rear(waterproof), and cabin. However, I want the cabin camera pointed straight at me with a view of my driver’s window. This is for the purpose of recording any traffic stops from inside the vehicle. None of the cameras need to be 4K. The system needs to run on capacitor and not battery power. I’m looking at the Rexing S1 but can not use it for this purpose without modifying the camera itself (switching the cameras around). Any ideas?
How about B2W+W4K kit?
We had released a W4K (fake 4K, 5MP sensor for the front camera only) dual dashcam recently with a waterproof rear camera!

but can the W4K cabin camera angle to the left to film the driver side door / window ?

I just took the B2W off the test bench and looked over the footage, seem to be functioning good

but can the W4K cabin camera angle to the left to film the driver side door / window ?

I just took the B2W off the test bench and looked over the footage, seem to be functioning good
B2W for cabin recording should be ideal :)

Its GPS function need to fix :(
Yes- we are working on finding the problem with the GPS with my cam. Otherwise I've had no significant problems :cool:

Phil

I believe the only 3 channel cameras right now are the Zenfox T3 (Wouldn't Recommend. Has overheating Issue) and the Vantrue N4. Can't speak for the N4. Never used it at all.

I believe the only 3 channel cameras right now are the Zenfox T3 (Wouldn't Recommend. Has overheating Issue) and the Vantrue N4. Can't speak for the N4. Never used it at all.
Neither of those will point towards the driver's window on the interior camera.

Currently it has to be a 2 channel plus a second camera for the rear. The Blueskysea B2W and Viofo A129 IR are good choices for the front and cabin, or Viofo A129 Pro IR if 1080 front resolution is not enough.

New 3ch cameras are coming though, maybe including the perfect choice.

3 channel cameras are still pretty scarce, and nothing can do what you ask.
your best option would be to get a dual camera system where there is a option for using the normally rear camera as a cabin camera on a wire, this will allow for you to put it on the passenger side A pillar aimed at you in the driver seat.
A cabin camera must have IR light aid, and B&W footage for night mode, at least if you are on a dark highway or something, in a urban area with some ambient light you might be able to make do with a good color camera with good low light performance.
Some cabin cameras dont have true IR mode, so the camera dont have a IR cut filter meaning daylight footage have washed out colors as there are high levels on IR light, and night time the camera do not change to B&W mode, so it is still color so tend to have a magenta hue.

You are then out one rear camera, but you can put any single channel camera back there, only downside is you have 2 memory cards to manage.

Viofo have a IR aided camera for some of their Dual models, as i recall this is a true cabin camera with active IR cut filter and B&W night mode.

Some 2 in 1 dual cameras like the B2W you can turn either lens towards the side windows, this model also have true IR aided #2 camera.

Yeah that’s what I’m finding. I’m leaning towards just getting two different cameras - 1 great quality 2 channel for front and rear and 1 great quality IR/nighttime camera for recording me and the window in the event of a traffic stop. I don’t get pulled over a lot (maybe once in the last 10 years) so I could just turn it on if that happens - it doesn’t need to run all the time. The benefit to having 1 camera do all of this is recording everything front and back surrounding the stop. I was pulled over a few years ago for “running a stop sign” that I absolutely did not run. If I had a dash cam and window cam it would have been an easy solution to take to court. I think right now the best solution is two separate cameras.

you dont find any single dash cameras with IR aid for low light, that is just part of dual camera systems ( and 3 channel now ) for one of the cameras ( the cabin one )

In general after using dashcams for so many years now, 99% of all action go on the front camera, when i go for side or rear camera, it is most often for B roll footage.
And in all that time i just captured 1 event.

In your case from years back a single camera ( front ) detailing your driving should be fine, it would have proven you stopped for the stop sign.
In general i find 1 camera to be fine, at least in regard to liability and claims against you, CUZ that 1 camera will save everything you do, and if you drive within the law, then surely what happen off camera ( like someone rear ending you ) can not be your fault.
And if that person have anything to say, he better back it up with hard evidence like you have, otherwise for him / her it is time to pay up sucker.

I am not too worried about any traffic cop and his claims, and maybe poor ability to do his job, and just a single camera should get him and his claims ASO on audio.

In general even here in little peaceful Denmark, i see no reason to get "in the face of a cop", not least when you like me illegal carry a little pocket knife, CUZ no need to give him a reason to pad me down.
Also as a former parasite :oops: ( criminal ) you have learned all the tricks, and one of the foremost is play nice with cops, and if you lie, stick to simple lies.
Just go yes - yes - you think so - okay, and then let a lawyer sort things out afterwards, or just whip out your proof in court.

Last edited:
How about B2W+W4K kit?
We had released a W4K (fake 4K, 5MP sensor for the front camera only) dual dashcam recently with a waterproof rear camera!
That would give you:
  • "4K" front view (2K real resolution),
  • FHD rear view (waterproof),
  • FHD driver window view with IR illumination at night,
  • FHD passenger window view (no IR).
Nice :)

Except in countries that drive on the correct side of the road, the IR is on the passenger side :(

Neither of those will point towards the driver's window on the interior camera.

Currently it has to be a 2 channel plus a second camera for the rear. The Blueskysea B2W and Viofo A129 IR are good choices for the front and cabin, or Viofo A129 Pro IR if 1080 front resolution is not enough.

New 3ch cameras are coming though, maybe including the perfect choice.

Well I disagree.

I actually have my half working T3 still mounted. Dare I not enable Wifi now or the camera freezes and requires a hard reboot. POS. Anyway, the interior cam can see me 100% and out my driver window about 40-50%. Enough to capture someone at my window.

Secondary Option:

1. Step 1 mount front camera with interior cam built in
2. Step 2 place suction cup on rear windshield
3. Step 3 instead of placing rear camera facing outward, adhere camera to suction cup and face camera inward instead of out the rear. Course you're now losing rear coverage to achieve the intended result.

SUCTION CUP

I actually have my half working T3 still mounted. Dare I not enable Wifi now or the camera freezes and requires a hard reboot. POS. Anyway, the interior cam can see me 100% and out my driver window about 40-50%. Enough to capture someone at my window.
Depends on the car and how far forward the camera is mounted relative to the doors, but typically you will miss the person at the window unless they almost stick their head inside.

Secondary Option:
That can work quite nicely, although it reduces the chances of reading a plate behind since the interior camera only just has enough resolution.

Doesn't answer the request for the rear camera to be waterproof though, whereas the B2W + W4K does!

Depends on the car and how far forward the camera is mounted relative to the doors, but typically you will miss the person at the window unless they almost stick their head inside.

That can work quite nicely, although it reduces the chances of reading a plate behind since the interior camera only just has enough resolution.

Doesn't answer the request for the rear camera to be waterproof though, whereas the B2W + W4K does!

There's no single camera option that'll meet all his needs. So either he'll have to forgo the waterproofing or install two separate setups to accommodate his requests.

...Or wait a while for one to become available.

you dont find any single dash cameras with IR aid for low light, that is just part of dual camera systems ( and 3 channel now ) for one of the cameras ( the cabin one )

In general after using dashcams for so many years now, 99% of all action go on the front camera, when i go for side or rear camera, it is most often for B roll footage.
And in all that time i just captured 1 event.

In your case from years back a single camera ( front ) detailing your driving should be fine, it would have proven you stopped for the stop sign.
In general i find 1 camera to be fine, at least in regard to liability and claims against you, CUZ that 1 camera will save everything you do, and if you drive within the law, then surely what happen off camera ( like someone rear ending you ) can not be your fault.
And if that person have anything to say, he better back it up with hard evidence like you have, otherwise for him / her it is time to pay up sucker.

I am not too worried about any traffic cop and his claims, and maybe poor ability to do his job, and just a single camera should get him and his claims ASO on audio.

In general even here in little peaceful Denmark, i see no reason to get "in the face of a cop", not least when you like me illegal carry a little pocket knife, CUZ no need to give him a reason to pad me down.
Also as a former parasite :oops: ( criminal ) you have learned all the tricks, and one of the foremost is play nice with cops, and if you lie, stick to simple lies.
Just go yes - yes - you think so - okay, and then let a lawyer sort things out afterwards, or just whip out your proof in court.

I agree, 99% of my driving would be fully covered by just a front. I did have an incident a few years ago where someone drove off the road and almost hit my house which was covered only by my rear camera. That footage got the driver a serious ticket.

I don’t have any problem with the police. 90% of my encounters over the years with them have been amicable and friendly. I follow the law and am always friendly and pleasant with the police. However I have encountered a few a-holes over the years and simply having footage of any encounter will just (hopefully) keep things professional. Cops have body and vehicle cameras, businesses have them, public spaces have them. It’s not really unreasonable for us to do it. Having a window-facing cam isn’t an absolute must, I’m just trying to work it into my configuration if possible. That being said, if I have to pick 2/3, it’ll be high-quality video of the front and rear. I’ve had it in my past several cars and I was happy with it. I have a windowless cargo van now so it’s a bit more challenging as the camera has to be mounted externally.

Yeah better safe than sorry, not least in this age where the means to be safe dont cost you a fortune.
I use to have a CCTV camera ( IP camera ) on where my car are parked in the back yard, i simply had to as after moving here i saw several cases of vandalism towards my property / cars.

First i had my SUV keyed all along one side, a few days before i was to sell it, so i had to take a additional loss, then i got my little red car and it was barely a year old before it had the passenger side window broken ( nothing stolen )
So i then decided to park in the back yard, but then parked there some A-hole had thrown a D cell battery high in the air, and it came down at the back L corner of my roof making a dent there.
So i got myself a NVR and a few cameras, and then nothing happened.
Now,,,,, okay a while ago the PTZ camera i had on my car broke, and i have not gotten around to replacing it, they are pretty expensive for a Danish pension, and its been years since i blew thru my savings i had from the sale of my house / the SUV which i also got a little cash out off, and some other funds coming my way.
So now if i flip pennies i can save like 1-200 USD every month, and then usually when i have gotten a little piles something unforeseen happen which cost that pile of money or maybe even a bit more.
Or if i have been really lucky i have managed to get a little money in and get something nice for myself, and then something happen in a few days or weeks, like a few months ago where a root canal suddenly became a must have, right after i spent 1000 USD on myself.

Regarding external cameras i only thing street guardian and viofo offer that option for some of their models, maybe blackvue and thinkware too.

Personally external cameras make me a bit apprehensive, regarding dirt accumulating on them ( a issue i think for camera detail in dashcams, not so much a issue for a low resolution reversing camera )
And maybe scratches on the lens / housing glass from repeated car wash.

So happy my stupid little 5 door hatch back have a vertical rear window and a wiper on it too,,,,,,, though i do need to buy new blades front & rear for the car too.

And if you like to share footage, of funny stuff or insane stuff which all happen far too often on our roads, well in that case you cant have too many cameras in the car.

Our good buddy @SawMaster drive a van too, but as i recall his is a older one with glass in the back doors, but other than that he is probably the van expert around here.

Back