Looking for a basic cam

Shadowpr

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been using a app on my phone as a dashcam lately and like the idea and quality is ok. Only issue is the phone gets hot and I rather not lower the phone battery life.

Looking for the following :
Decent night video
No need for GPS
Suction cup
Capacitors
No need for parking mode.
Screen
Budget is low. Would like to keep it below $100.

Thank you

Mobius is an excellent camera that would fit your needs. It does not have a screen, but speaking from experience not something that would ever be a concern. Welcome to the forum :)

I 2nd that. You can get the Mobius and super capacitor for $80 w/ free shipping. You would still need to get an SD card, and mount. Also you'd need the hardwire kit and add-a fuse if you wanted it to power on and off with the cars ignition. Total spent would be around $120.

It doesn't have a screen, but it's really easy to take your laptop out to the car and pull videos from it.

The night view isn't outstanding, but I find it suitable. If you drive more at night you could also program the Mobius to fit your needs. It just might make your daytime videos a bit bright.

I was originally looking at the G1w-cb, and the 0806.

How would the mobius compare in real world use?

I just finished all my research a month ago and everything I read kept coming back to the Mobius. You can watch some YouTube comparison videos I am sure. Check out video quality.

What sort of real world situations?

If you can forget about the suction cup, the Papago GS 110 I have been using for a few weeks is really a pretty reliable and pleasant, basic dash cam.
Not sure if they have an optional suction cup mount? The one they sent me has an adhesive mount. It has a capacitor, screen, decent video, day and night, (even though 720p)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/first-look-papago-gosafe-110.13567/#post-181128
The mobius, also, is also a solid choice.

(we need more reliable options in this price range!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so mobius and the gs 110.

Any other recommendations?

I have both the Mobius and the G1Wc. My preference is the Mobius because it is far better built and more reliable. I had problems with the G1Wc along with several other people; it seems to be related to build quality. The one I have now (3rd one, 2 were returned) does quite well. The reliability of the Mobius, the ease of component swaps, and it's tiny form factor are what I like most about it. A great bargain if you ask me, and perhaps the best dashcam in the $100 price range. The G1W cams are the cheapest I'd go for; the rest in that price range are not very good at all. The Mini 0806 seems to be suffering a lot of 'teething problems' ATM, which may get worked out but until then I'd avoid it. Look at the Mini 0805 instead. You might also want to consider the A118C, another generic cam but lots of people like theirs. All of these have very different form factors which may make a big difference to you.

Read the various forums about the cams you are considering. Look for threads relating to problems and see if they were worked out and how. The more you know, the better your chances are at getting a cam you'll like on the first try.

Phil

I have both the Mobius and the G1Wc. My preference is the Mobius because it is far better built and more reliable. I had problems with the G1Wc along with several other people; it seems to be related to build quality. The one I have now (3rd one, 2 were returned) does quite well. The reliability of the Mobius, the ease of component swaps, and it's tiny form factor are what I like most about it. A great bargain if you ask me, and perhaps the best dashcam in the $100 price range. The G1W cams are the cheapest I'd go for; the rest in that price range are not very good at all. The Mini 0806 seems to be suffering a lot of 'teething problems' ATM, which may get worked out but until then I'd avoid it. Look at the Mini 0805 instead. You might also want to consider the A118C, another generic cam but lots of people like theirs. All of these have very different form factors which may make a big difference to you.

Read the various forums about the cams you are considering. Look for threads relating to problems and see if they were worked out and how. The more you know, the better your chances are at getting a cam you'll like on the first try.

Phil
Which do you think is better overall? Mobius, 0805, or G1w-cb?

2nd sentence, first 5 words. I've never used the 0805 but a lot of folks I respect like it so I mentioned it. Until build quality improves I would not want to chance the G1Wc or it's non-chromed cousin. Too much of a crap-shoot for my liking but the good ones are, well, good.

Phil

Mobius is a great budget option if you don't mind the no screen. You can always pop out the card and play the videos via mobile device. (OTG readers for Android phones are great)

More self-promotion. What is this site coming to? Sheesh.

Phil
(Edited to add forum rules)

6. Dash Cam manufacturers and retailers are currently allowed to post on the forums. Please identify yourself as a manufacturer or retailer either in your signature or via a website link. We will assign you a "Retailer" or "Manufacturer" rank which will appear under your user name when you post. Ensure your posts add value to the discussion rather than just being spam.

7. Spamming is not allowed and will result in having your account removed.

Last edited:
Did you actually click on the link? I would guess for most of us we wouldn't be able to make it out.

Did you actually click on the link? I would guess for most of us we wouldn't be able to make it out.
He didn't have to. We all know very well what he is up to here on DCT.

It's just amusing that it's all in what I presume is Chinese, yet the OP is from the US. Not to say they won't be able to read it, but I think it's slim. Clearly they are here just to promote, I'm sure the OP can buy something much closer to home.

I just made a post regards this in the 'site suggestions' forum. There's also a rule regarding these kinds of members posting links to their sites. Rules are made to be followed, not broken, and I know that I am not the only one who is getting tired of seeing this kind of spam.

Rather than clicking on a manufacturer or sellers link, I suggest that people instead go to the forums regarding their cams which will give you a more unbiased view of their products. That will be of a far greater value to you than hearing only from someone who has a vested interest in your buying from them. You need facts, not hype, to make a good choice, and rarely is there only one cam or brand which will fit your specific needs.

Kudos again to the manufacturers and sellers here who add much to the forums without only hyping their products. Your knowledge is what helps make this site great! I would list you by name but I'm afraid I'd miss someone. You know who you are and that's what counts most.

Phil

Ok. I'm leaning towards the mobius that is recommended.

Do I need to get the capacitor pack if I live in ct?

I think I read there is a new version coming out soon, is it worth waiting for?

The new mobius will be a big step up over the old one, but if money is not too tight you can allways get the new one when it do come out.
To my knowlege there is no set release date for the mobius 2.
you can allways use the old camera as a action camera, or do the best thing which is to give it to someone who might benefit from having it one day.
By then the old mobius is a aging camera, but it will allways be far better than not having a camera at all, and it is quite durable as many have used them for years by now.

Never underestimate the pleasure of giving. :cool:

You should be OK with a battery version there, it's mostly needed for climates that are hotter for longer than you get there. You can decide to wait for the new cams or not, but they are not always on schedule so waiting may take longer than you want, and the new cam will likely be at least a little more expensive. If the currently offered cam fits your needs I'd just go with it now. The Mobius is a known bargain now and while I don't think that status will change with the new cam it might.

One last comment here but an important one: Whatever cam you choose, buy only from recommended sellers, preferably ones in the US since you're here. The cost may be a little higher but if you need warranty service or tech support you will be glad you did this. And you will be sure that you don't get a fake too, as these are now showing up on the market and are not the same cams at all.

Phil

Back