Looking for a budget action cam

Thanh ha Dinh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've been looking into getting an action camera recently but there are too many choices. I want an everyday cam that is light weight and have good visual performance. My main concerns are:
-Photo quality: At least 12mp camera. Fisheye effect is okay.
-Video quality: I can be very particular about sharpness and performance in low-light condition up to 1080p. I don't required 2k or more but it's a plus.
-Screen is definitely a plus, I like to check the picture and make sure it turns out well so having a screen or an option to add screen when needed is definitely better.
-Fast mode switching between photo and video.
Right now I'm looking at Mokacam, Firefly 6S, Blackview Hero 1 and SJCam M10+. I don't know which one I should get. Everything under $200 is within my budget. Thanks

I did have a look at GitUp Git1 but the image quality isn't as good as some of the cameras I listed above. I am extremely particular in term of visual.

I did have a look at GitUp Git1 but the image quality isn't as good as some of the cameras I listed above. I am extremely particular in term of visual.

if you want higher daytime quality you can get higher resolution, the smaller pixel size will help, that will then be worse at night though, if day is more important than night look at the Git2 instead

That Mokacam look sort of intresting, but hardware dont seem to be somthing new ( A7 i assume + IMX206 ) allso i am not sure if it will be 200 dollars or less.
EDIT: okay seem like i was wrong on the A7 "mokacam captures images and videos using a powerful Sony sensor. We then push the imagery through our custom built DSP"

I would allso look at the git2, not least as they allso seem to be active in here, and sound like they have the right motivation / wishes for ther products.

Last edited:
That Mokacam look sort of intresting, but hardware dont seem to be somthing new ( A7 i assume + IMX206 ) allso i am not sure if it will be 200 dollars or less.
EDIT: okay seem like i was wrong on the A7 "mokacam captures images and videos using a powerful Sony sensor. We then push the imagery through our custom built DSP"

not A7 going by the screenshots, the custom built DSP will be a bit of marketing fluff, will be the same processor other Chinese cams are using, only a very brief glimpse of the menu in one of the promo videos

without any history in making cameras there's plenty of risk in buying one of these, I'd say wait until they're actually made rather than joining a crowd funding campaign

"not A7 going by the screenshots, the custom built DSP will be a bit of marketing fluff, will be the same processor other Chinese cams are using, only a very brief glimpse of the menu in one of the promo videos"

Does anyone know what exactly this DSP is? Or, which type of processor / DSP is used by other Chinese Cams?
Thanks!

GitUp uses Novatek processors and Sony image sensors. i don't know if they list the specific cpu on their site, but they do list the exact sony IMX### sensors they use in each camera - www.gitup.com

oh thanks much, I was actually curious about the Mokacam specifically

ok i see what you were asking now. if they don't say on their website, and they don't reply to emails, i wouldn't do business with them. that makes it sound like they're hiding something, or are just using whatever cheap junk they can find to stick in their camera.

totally agreed -- dug up an email address and inquired, will post if / when i hear back

I'd go with M10+
(as in here ) also with accessories, it would end up less, than $200, but form factor is way better than offset common packages

GitUp uses Novatek processors and Sony image sensors. i don't know if they list the specific cpu on their site, but they do list the exact sony IMX### sensors they use in each camera - www.gitup.com
We listed the chipset on our website.
It is hard to find an action camera have good low light performance and nice photo quality.

It is hard to find an action camera have good low light performance and nice photo quality.

if you really had a need for both situations you'd use a Git1 for low light and Git2 for high detail daytime stuff, they're affordable enough to justify owning both anyway

Back