Looking for a camera that might not exist?

Killavolt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't know if what I want actually exists but I thought this might be the best place to ask.

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram and I'd like to have a backup camera that replaces the tailgate handle, but I'd also like a dash cam and don't want screens all over the place. I also don't want wireless because I can't stand the lag in wireless systems.

So I'm wondering if a dashcam exists that will accept an input from an external camera since I don't think one exists that will replace my tailgate handle AND be a dashcam also.

I'm not really looking to replace my radio so I'd like to avoid anything that needs to be built in.

Am I asking too much here?

well you sort of have to, dashcams have pretty small screens so you cant really use those for reversing, also dashcams do not have guide lines in the footage.
Some mirror dashcams do however have a reversing camera functionality, and also a larger LCD screen, but those dont get much mentioning in here,,,,,, maybe for good reasons.
Also a dashcam are best aimed strait out back, where as a reversing camera need to be aimed down more to be able to see immediately behind your car, and also tend to have even wider FOV lenses.

You can get external waterproof cameras for some dual systems, but many truck owners put camera in the back window to also cover bed and what might be in it, though this do leave a large blind spot directly behind your car.

PS. many / some factory radios actually support AV in, hell my ( not factory ) 7 year old 2 DIN china unit with win CE have 2 AV inputs.

Worth while dashcams do not support input of a standard SD reversing camera (analog ) only very old technology would support something like that, it is all 1080p or higher today and digital.

This is my rear camera footage ( in small 5 door hatchback with vertical rear window / hatch )

As you can see i cant see the first 2-3 foot behind my car, and no guide lines, and the footage are not mirrored so looking at it on a LCD would take some getting used to

You make some really good points that I hadn't even thought of. I was thinking that if a combination like what I was asking for existed that it would probably come with a large screen for backup functionality, and just happen to record footage.

That being said, What's a good front/rear dashcam that won't break the bank? I kind of like the idea of putting the camera in the back window to see the bed as well, I'm not worried about the blind spot.

The camera is mainly used for lining up with a trailer perfectly the first time, and when backing into a parking spot that has a car behind me, so I can see where the tiny little thing is so I don't crush it in my "bro-dozer" lol. I don't rely on backup cameras for actually backing up, just being 100% about how much space is behind me so I don't have to get out to double check.

yeah a camera in the back window of the cabin will have excellent coverage of what is in the bed, paired with parking mode anyone helping them self to something in the bed should be identifiable.
The trade off is you will not be able to read a plate on the front of the car behind you, CUZ when it is far enough back for the camera to see it over the bed it is too far back for the wide angle lens to read it.
BUT ! any jack ass driving he might do back there before he plow into you, that should be recorded just fine, also tailgating ASO you should be able to call from the footage too.

I am myself in the market for a reversing camera even if i drive a little 5 door hatchback that could probably fit in the bed of your truck, but i am getting old and my back are way ahead of me, so turning in the seat are getting problematic for me.
So a LCD mirror paired with a regular reversing camera is something i will have to look at soon, even if i already have 2 cameras on my back window ( i do some product testing with some brands so i often have quite a few dashcams in my car, ATM very few with just 4 systems / 8 cameras. One 3 channel system - 2 dual channel systems - and my long range camera on the windscreen )

Change out your audio for an android system. Ensure you have the facility to input a reversing camera.
Like these.
1597654273648.png

1597654329014.png

Back