Looking for a camera that might not exist?

ottisdooley

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if what I want actually exists but I thought this might be the best place to ask.

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram and I'd like to have a backup camera that replaces the tailgate handle, but I'd also like a dash cam and don't want screens all over the place. I also don't want wireless because I can't stand the lag in wireless systems.

So I'm wondering if a dashcam exists that will accept an input from an external camera since I don't think one exists that will replace my tailgate handle AND be a dashcam also.

I'm not really looking to replace my radio so I'd like to avoid anything that needs to be built in.

Am I asking too much here?

but I'd also like a dash cam and don't want screens all over the place.
Dashcams don't need to have screens, and if they do then they are normally small and discrete and normally turned off. Many have wifi with a live view so that you can view the images on a phone or tablet, but like you point out, there will be a little delay and they are not ideal for reversing, only for setup and maybe occasional use when carefully reversing a trailer.

Best to have separate systems for dashcam and reversing camera, the lenses need to be installed in different places, since you want different views with different fields of view. Also, seperate systems keeps things simpler and avoids issues with compatibility.

Back