Looking for a dash cam that always keeps working, no re-formatting needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm trying to find one for my dad to get. So far, I've had two different ones myself, and if I don't check regularly every month or two, I've found they just aren't recording anymore and the data is all from previous months.

Since my dad isn't so tech savvy and he wouldn't want to mess with the SD card, I want one he can just connect and never have to do anything else later. Are there any consistent ones out there?

Ideally under $100 would be preferred.

Thanks

I've been running my SG9665GC since May this year (the last time I updated the F/W on the camera) without erasing or reformatting the PNY 128GB SD card. This is just my experience and is not statistically significant. There are some who will say it's necessary to periodically reformat the SD card to 'prevent' problems - but I've never heard or read a valid rationale for the recommendation.

IMO if it's necessary to reformat an SD card using the FAT system for that reason the same should apply to any hard disk or SSD as well but you never hear of it being recommended.

It's not that big of a deal on some cameras. The A119 has a format warning that you can adjust the frequency. If he can't manage to navigate the menu, and push a few buttons, a dashcam may not be much help for him. I'm not knocking your Dad. I've put cams in cars of friends that I know are doomed to failure, not that the cams were bad, but the user isn't capable of some pretty simple push button 'maintenance'.

I'd lean toward a cam that has a programmable format prompt, and a menu that is manageable. (One you understand and can walk him through it....more than once.) :)

If you aren't able to format the card, or check that the cam is actually operating correctly, the results aren't so good. :(

Did we ever compile a list of 'user friendly' basic cams? (Klutz proof?) :)

I'm guilty of rarely formatting cards. the only time I do is when I switch cards. and the only time I switch cards is when I know I have an interesting recording I want to keep. the last time I've formatted the cards in my daily driver is probably 2 months ago. I do check to see the status on my cameras weekly just to make sure they are happily chugging along.

I am pretty sure the old Luaks LK-7500 i put in my little sisters car years ago have gotten 0 of the maintanence i told her to do, but when i last looked at it a few months ago it was still working, which kinda of shock me as it is after all a old dashcam and memory card.
And not least my sister drive much more than the 2 times a week i do / can afford it.

Good thing about the lukas is its little back display that will trow up a ERROR MSG if something happen, and that little display on the bottom of the back are just visible below her mirror.

The original Mobius is pretty solid without doing anything, but is a relatively complex cam when you have to do anything.
Most newer Ham radios are menu-driven and many of us make or buy a 'cheat sheet' kept with it to handle the main functions should the programming go askew. Pretty easy to do something similar for cams ;)

Phil

Andrew at CarCamCentral has pretty good reviews of cameras that have good alerts when the memory card has failed.
I would say that's more important than "format free" technologies

Ultimately the micro SD card will have a limited life cycle, we've seen as little as 3 months to 2+ years.
If the camera doesn't record 24/7 the card should last longer in theory though.

I also have been using a SG9665GC for quite awhile now and I can't remember the last time I reformatted the SD card. I don't think I ever updated the firmware on the cam when I got it 3 years ago.

requirements of reformatting applies to memory cards, not dashcams

it's always wise to reformat them now and again no matter what kind of "device" they're being used in

It is better to format memory card by computer;
Camera can not take recording if memory card was full with locked files!

Back